Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

One of my favorite guitarists, Andy Timmons

I love Andy's solo electric guitar renditions of classic rock tunes. Became interested because we play the same guitar amp setup. He is not a trickster on the guitar. He plays the thing strait up similar to Clapton's style. And not covered up by complimentary instruments. Sort of, "on an island"

Enjoy..

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Re: One of my favorite guitarists, Andy Timmons

I was surfing youtube a few weeks ago and ran across this one woman guitar band. I think you would call her a trickster, but call me amazed at what electronics are doing these days.

Lindsey Eli

Acoustic work

Last edited by dan_bgblue; 12-14-2018 at 07:28 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

If you are a rock and roll guitarist and have not seen this, it may interest you. Eddie Van Halen, one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time.

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I was surfing youtube a few weeks ago and ran across this one woman guitar band. I think you would call her a trickster, but call me amazed at what electronics are doing these days.

Lindsey Eli

Acoustic work

Nice. She is using a looper which allows you to play a part and then at the click of a switch layer multiple parts on top of it. You can also layer any instrument or vocal into the same device.
    You just start and stop on time while engaging and disengaging as you need to via a footswitch.
    Not as much a trickster as an art all of its own in perfecting a recorded performance on the fly.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    If you are a rock and roll guitarist and have not seen this, it may interest you. Eddie Van Halen, one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time.

Ahhhh. Eddie, while a very good guitarist, is the king of tricksters. Yet he must be given his due along with a few other greats for developing tricks never used before on guitar. Les Paul, the originator of many special effects (echoes, distortion etc..) , was the very first.

Eddie helped pioneer unusual hammer ons, pull offs (which all guitarists use to an extent), "tapping" (sort of his trademark technique), and sweep picking to allow guitarists to sound unnaturaly fast. One pluck or pick of the string enabling 2, 3, four, or five notes to sound. Using the proper distortions and/or audio compression,, often along with delay this style can yield beautiful and lightning quick notes to sound even and clear. Unlike traditional guitar however those are fret board movements without the accompanying pick hand following those notes.
    In fact the pick itself often only plays every fourth or fifth note and the others are accomplished by either hammering the note or pulling off causing a ghost note to sound.
    Sweep picking is accomplished by slowly raking down the strings (like slowly playing the strings one at a time) in any chord and moving your fret hand from note to note adding similar ghost notes. That requires lots of practice and unique timing adjustments to accomplish. But many just adequate young players can watch the vids and learn the above techniques absent the skill it takes to be a great player. And many millions out there do as you can see by searching the many vids these kids put out.
    But the genius was in developing and perfecting those techniques and applying to musical performance in a musical way. In that sense Eddie, Vai and all the rest are in virtuoso's in their own right.

The other side of the coin is guys like BB King, who could pick one note and bleed it for sound and vibrato and still separate himself from the millions who would try to emulate that. Clapton is another who does not take a backseat to any guitarist on rock and blues guitar.
    Believe me those other virtuoso's would have to work to develop Eric's technique and various styles over the years. And absent the tricks they have developed, would struggle to keep up with him and other great traditional rock players. Brian May is also impressive in the mold of Clapton and Hendrix.

One other trick commonly used is a delay (echo) pedal using dotted eighth notes. That enables a player to play single notes slowly and appear to be playing faster than humanly possible.

Check this out..

Last edited by kingcat; 12-16-2018 at 06:55 PM.