Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Am I getting scammed, and how

selling my son's two motorcycles. Listed on Craigs list for $1500. Got a full price buyer with an NYC area code. He is sending a cashiers check and once clears will pick up bikes. Sounds simple, right? But I'm concerned about a scam here. 2 motorcycles, sight unseen...to a buyer with an NYC area code?
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: Am I getting scammed, and how

and he has a california address
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

They’re accidentally going to send the cashiers check for more than the $1500. Then they’ll ask you to send back the extra amount and when your bank discovers two days later that the check was worthless, you’re screwed.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

If that happens, Im sending the entire check back, uncashed

When the check arrives, I will take to the bank and have them verify its authentic and valid. I'll wait until it actually clears the issuing bank as well

Same scam six different ways

•*Mystery shopper scam:*Victim gets a bogus check and is told to deposit it, keep some as their pay and then wire the remainder to test a store’s money transferring service. The victim’s bank doesn’t realize the deposited check is a fake until long after the wired money is gone.

•*Car wrap scam:*College students sign up to have their car wrapped with the logo of a beer or energy drink brand. Scammers send fake checks and tell the students to deduct their pay and forward the rest to the supposed car wrap company (which is actually the scammer). Later, the checks bounce, leaving the students on the hook.

•*Law firm scam:*Scammers hire a law firm to collect money from a supposed debtor. The firm reaches out to the debtor, who is actually the scammer and who sends the law firm a counterfeit check to pay off the debt. Thinking the issue is resolved, the firm deposits the check, takes out its legal fee and forwards the rest to the client. After that, the check bounces and the firm is liable to its bank for the money.

•*Overpayment scam:*Fraudsters pretend they want to buy an item sold on Craigslist or similar site. They “accidentally” send a bogus check for more than the sale price; then ask the victim to deposit the check and send them back the difference.

•*Nanny scam:*Con artists pretend to hire a nanny or caregiver, sending a fake check to purchase equipment like a stroller or wheelchair to prepare for the job. The victim deposits the check, then sends money for the equipment to a bogus equipment seller that’s really a front for the scammer.

•*Lottery scam:*Fraudsters tell the victim he’s won a lottery or sweepstakes, then send him a counterfeit check for his “winnings.” The victim is asked to wire money to pay taxes and fees — but when the check bounces, the victim is on the hook.

Those scams are why I don’t use the email function for Craigslist contacts. I advertised a car on Craigslist, got several similar offers to buy the car sight unseen for what I was asking and they would have the car shipped to them.

General rule of thumb, if you wonder if it is a scam, then it likely is a scam.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    selling my son's two motorcycles. Listed on Craigs list for $1500. Got a full price buyer with an NYC area code. He is sending a cashiers check and once clears will pick up bikes. Sounds simple, right? But I'm concerned about a scam here. 2 motorcycles, sight unseen...to a buyer with an NYC area code?
    If it IS a scam, the scam is either the traditional "pay it forward" scam where they will pay you to "pay the shipping company" which is actually the scammer and/or it will exploit the fact that [B]most don't know that the time between the check showing in your account and the check ACTUALLY clearing are different. The funds can show in your account quickly, but the check ACTUALLY clearing can take up to 3+ weeks. The only easy way to clear it properly is to take it to the bank indicated on the check and confirm it.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 11-29-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    If it IS a scam, the scam is either the traditional "pay it forward" scam where they will pay you to "pay the shipping company" which is actually the scammer and/or it will exploit the fact that most don't know that the time between the check showing in your account and the check ACTUALLY clearing are different. The funds can show in your account quickly, but the check ACTUALLY clearing can take up to 3+ weeks. The only easy way to clear it properly is to take it to the bank indicated on the check and confirm it.
    Yep. On our installation we'll have 2-3 people come in every year with what is essentially a counterfeit cashiers check scam that you and the others have mentioned. The only way to get a 100% answer is to present to the bank listed on the cashiers check and see if it will clear on their end. "Clearing" your own bank means nothing--they're just giving the use of the money as a courtesy which they will reverse back to you if the "issuing" bank deems it counterfeit and won't accept it.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Money orders only
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

LOL.....here was his text today

Hello Ronald, I am very sorry for not getting in touch with you like I promised concerning the purchase of 2 youth dirt bikes - $1500, I had a family emergency, I lost my uncle so I had to go see to His funeral arrangements and be with His widow. My accountant also just got me to know that the check mailed is in excess because he included the movers fee and some other logistics in it, so when you get it kindly go ahead and have it cashed and when the movers get to you they will collect the excess on the check from you, i am very sorry for the inconveniences and i have just been notified by the USPS that the check has been delivered to your mailbox kindly check it and get back at me thanks
    my reply
    Not happening....I know the scam!

I will return the entire cashier check, uncashed.

Awh man. You should have made him rent a truck and everything first. How much was the check for?

have not recieved. He texted me the above. I told him initially not to bother if it was a scam. We went forward anyway. If the check arrives I will return it uncashed

Got a robocall this morning (didn’t answer it) from a number in Texas. The voice mail said a lien had been placed on my social security due to illegal activity

Do people really fall for this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Awh man. You should have made him rent a truck and everything first. How much was the check for?
    $3980......which is more than I paid for both bike brand spanking new.

I sold the bikes last night, for $1100 cash, to a guy locally. Has an 11 year old girl who rides a 4 wheeler. Took both bikes and got a great deal. Will start on the PW 80 trail bike and move up to the KX65 race bike. Initially he wanted the KX because it was "smaller" but had no idea that is was a race bike. Was asking if it was an automatic shift, etc. The PW is, or at least it does not have a clutch lever, etc. It turns out exactly what he needed and I was glad.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Got a robocall this morning (didn’t answer it) from a number in Texas. The voice mail said a lien had been placed on my social security due to illegal activity

Do people really fall for this stuff?
    I think they robocall millions and if they only hit 0.1% they make money. It's really gross.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

This is why I keep my credit cards maxed and barely paid. Scammers see my credit and no it's not worth their time!
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Gee. Hope my wife doesn't read this board. She'll use that as her new excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    This is why I keep my credit cards maxed and barely paid. Scammers see my credit and no it's not worth their time!

Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    I always wondered about my tax returns. If somebody steals my identity and files for my taxes, will they PAY what I owe?