Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ammo sales.

Re: Ammo sales.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue92 View Post
    Chuck, or anyone else on here, do you reload? I would love to learn to do that, before I invest in a bunch of equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    I've reloaded shotgun, buddy of mine does it and I've done it with him when we've shot. Absurdly cheaper and reloading shotgun for just playing around is also crazy easy.

Reloading brass requires a bit more knowledge and care. The biggest thing is the casing and expansion/damage around the casing where the bullet is fit, or mouth. You have to inspect for damage and shape the mouth to accept the bullet. For choked down rounds you have to check head spacing.

For all rounds you have to remove the spent primer and replace it.

The good news is it's not like it's rocket science, and you can buy various levels of reloading press that will automate more of the process the more you spend. Single stage presses mean you do each stage one at a time with one lever pull. So you'll de-prime your cases one at a time, then re-prime them one at a time, etc. The bigger machines will do more than one thing at a time, and can also measure and add powder automatically.

It's not hard though. Right now I still find it better to buy ammo versus the time to reload, but it definitely saves money and it has the advantage of you being able to make your own loads. There's an endless amount of info on hand loads with different pressure and bullet weight. You can get into it big time.

I can get you all the Wolf ammo you can shoot. May be some delays and there will be a run on all ammo for now but I can tell you every plant is working 24/7 right now to crank it out. Oddly 22 LR is one of the toughest to get. So it's not like people are stocking up for all out war. May come a day when the anti-gun people have us down to 22s to defend ourselves but we're not there yet.

I'm more familiar with RCBS and Dillon presses, and Dillon's catalog I get always has a hot chick on the cover so they must be good.

Thought about taking a class in it so I can help folks out more on the subject b/c I do get questions, but tough to find the time. I am going to try to get qualified to teach the NRA Basic Pistol course, lots of demand beyond the basic CCDW class to work on pistol shooting and technique. We cover the very basics in the CCDW class but people really want a full class on it. I don't pretend to be a career expert or combat veteran or competition winner but I've gotten to be a pretty good shot and you don't have to win Top Shot to know good grip form. To pass the tests to teach it you have to at least be pretty solid. No matter what people think of the NRA, their course instruction is outstanding and has good quality control.

Bombino
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN

I've reloaded shotgun, buddy of mine does it and I've done it with him when we've shot. Absurdly cheaper and reloading shotgun for just playing around is also crazy easy.

Reloading brass requires a bit more knowledge and care. The biggest thing is the casing and expansion/damage around the casing where the bullet is fit, or mouth. You have to inspect for damage and shape the mouth to accept the bullet. For choked down rounds you have to check head spacing.

For all rounds you have to remove the spent primer and replace it.

The good news is it's not like it's rocket science, and you can buy various levels of reloading press that will automate more of the process the more you spend. Single stage presses mean you do each stage one at a time with one lever pull. So you'll de-prime your cases one at a time, then re-prime them one at a time, etc. The bigger machines will do more than one thing at a time, and can also measure and add powder automatically.

It's not hard though. Right now I still find it better to buy ammo versus the time to reload, but it definitely saves money and it has the advantage of you being able to make your own loads. There's an endless amount of info on hand loads with different pressure and bullet weight. You can get into it big time.

I can get you all the Wolf ammo you can shoot. May be some delays and there will be a run on all ammo for now but I can tell you every plant is working 24/7 right now to crank it out. Oddly 22 LR is one of the toughest to get. So it's not like people are stocking up for all out war. May come a day when the anti-gun people have us down to 22s to defend ourselves but we're not there yet.

I'm more familiar with RCBS and Dillon presses, and Dillon's catalog I get always has a hot chick on the cover so they must be good.

Thought about taking a class in it so I can help folks out more on the subject b/c I do get questions, but tough to find the time. I am going to try to get qualified to teach the NRA Basic Pistol course, lots of demand beyond the basic CCDW class to work on pistol shooting and technique. We cover the very basics in the CCDW class but people really want a full class on it. I don't pretend to be a career expert or combat veteran or competition winner but I've gotten to be a pretty good shot and you don't have to win Top Shot to know good grip form. To pass the tests to teach it you have to at least be pretty solid. No matter what people think of the NRA, their course instruction is outstanding and has good quality control.

I have studied it some, but even so don't feel comfortable without hands-on instruction. I have looked at the Dillon 550B progressive press.

Never shot any Wolf. I shoot Federal Gold Medal Match in 168g in the rifle, but for the 45 A C P I may take you up on the Wolf.

"Practically, it was more like a Roman army decimation -- a brutally harsh punishment levied by a ruthless hegemon, an act with a message: Don't mess with us.”

- Eamonn Brennan, ESPN

Rupp's Runt

Nothing wrong with Wolf ammo, aside from it being very dirty, thereby making your weapon a bit harder to clean after shooting.
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Nothing wrong with Wolf ammo, aside from it being very dirty, thereby making your weapon a bit harder to clean after shooting.
    My SKS will eat Wolf ammo like candy. I don't use it in anything else. I used to get it for a couple of bucks a box, the last I bought was nearly $6, and it is likely higher now.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Dirtier than some of the US stuff for sure, but the reliability is great and it's not as dirty as the other import stuff like TulAmmo or Bear. I went with them b/c I want great reliability and after that it was a good tradeoff for cost to be dirtier but not like the Tul.

They've gotten into the higher end stuff with their Gold line but I haven't shot it yet. Trying to get some. It's brass case, not steel. The Polyformance is a coated steel, then the original stuff they call their "Military" is the dirtiest. I stick to Polyformance, trying to see if the Gold is even better. Have a feeling its coming from a US manufacturer and being branded Wolf but not sure yet.

Russian/Chinese stuff definitely loves it. No surprise, they were designed for each other. One of the main reasons I like the SKS/AK approach over the AR, not finicky about dirt from any source be it ammo or just burying it in the back yard.