Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Is this a decent knock-around Canon lens?

Is this a decent knock-around Canon lens?

Canon EF 70-210mm F3.5-4.5 USM Zoom Auto Focus Lens From JP 5887

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19381814087...torefresh=true

Purpose to take a few photos from stands at soccer games under soccer lights.

Re: Is this a decent knock-around Canon lens?

You will probably be using it at the long end 210 mm so the F stop will 4.5 at that focal length. If you are using the camera auto features, the shutter speed will set itself at a relative slow speed to compensate for the limited light entry from the dim stadium lights. If you are trying to take action shots, you will likely get a bunch of blurry images.

I know we tend to think of stadium lights as being very bright, but when compared to full sunlight, they look very dim.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

It will be compared to what I am using now, a 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 lens.

So..improvement? Or not even worth it?

If you can get satisfactory images under the stadium lights with the 28-135 f3.5-f5.6 lens, then the 70-210 3.5-4.5 should be a slight improvement on the long end. And you will be able to fill a lot more of the frame with the 210 vs the 135.

One last thing is that the USM auto focus motor is as quiet as a mouse and is blazing fast compared to the older style focusing motors.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 04-19-2021 at 12:38 PM.
    seeya
    dan

Last couple of comments . 1 is the zoom control. This lens has a zoom ring vs a push pull zoom system. I am very fond of the zoom ring vs the alternative. 2. Under normal daylight conditions, I think you will like the 210 mm focal length vs the 135 mm you currently have.
    seeya
    dan

It's cheap so I may pick it up as an incremental thing. Thank you for your comments. It will help to manage expectations.

Something I just thought of is you might want to contact the seller and ask about "barrel creep" Ask the seller how bad the issue on this copy of the lens. The creep issue varies a lot from one lens to another. "Barrel Creep" is what happens when you have the lens set at a low focal length, say 110 mm, and you are actively shooting , but are in between shots and you lower the lens from your face and point the lens at the ground. Barrel creep happens when the friction in the focusing ring has lost it's grip and the barrel of the lens will extend itself to the 210 mm mark without you touching the zoom ring.
    seeya
    dan