Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Kansas played DeSousa last year knowing he had signed a pro contract in Spain?

Kansas played DeSousa last year knowing he had signed a pro contract in Spain?

Not if you don't care about rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Re: Kansas played DeSousa last year knowing he had signed a pro contract in Spain?

I have been saying it for years, Kansas is the dirtiest big-time program in the game.

The media loves Bill Self, I cannot believe they don't hold him accountable more.... actually, at all.

Darryl

Re: Kansas played DeSousa last year knowing he had signed a pro contract in Spain?

I have been saying it for years, Kansas is the dirtiest big-time program in the game.

The media loves Bill Self, I cannot believe they don't hold him accountable more.... actually, at all.

Darryl
    Like Ohio St. under Tressel. Guy was scummy as could be, but he wore a sweater vest and seemed dignified, so the media liked him. They were the dirtiest program in college football.

Rupp's Runt
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

first, Kansas beat Duke keeping them out of the Final Four. So thanks Jayhawks!

That said, Yikes. Bill Self has done a masterful job of building relationships with the press to keep the hounds at bay.

There is a lack of journalistic integrity in some spots. Clearly sports is an area we can really see it.
    This will be a day longer remembered. It has seen the end of Pitino and will soon see the end of Louisville. September 27, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    first, Kansas beat Duke keeping them out of the Final Four. So thanks Jayhawks!

That said, Yikes. Bill Self has done a masterful job of building relationships with the press to keep the hounds at bay.

There is a lack of journalistic integrity in some spots. Clearly sports is an area we can really see it.
    Pitino did the same thing

KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony, when asked about De Sousa and the contract with the Spanish team, said KU Athletics would continue to defer all comment to KU director of strategic communications Joe Monaco. When contacted, Monaco referred to a previous KU statement from last week: “It is not appropriate for the university to comment while legal proceedings are ongoing. As we have said all along, the prosecution has not suggested any wrongdoing by the university or its coaches. We will continue to cooperate as requested throughout the trial.”

aka "the liar guy". A school needs a director of strategic communications??? Come on

“The kids and I never took money from anyone,” Falmagne told The Star. “This is bigger than basketball. These kids and I have sacrificed so much because we know this could change our countries and nation. Anyone that knows me will know that coach Larry Brown is the only person that I take advice from because who he means to me and the kids.
    Yep, he took the money..............

You can get bitter or you can get better....I choose better

Professional Prevaricator

Good to know Baghdad Bob landed on his feet and found gainful employment in America.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

Only if it involves Kentucky.

*cough* Enes Kanter *cough*

A bigger question is: Did the NCAA know?

Super Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    A bigger question is: Did the NCAA know?
    True. To me there's a number of key questions:

1.) OK, he reportedly signed a pro contract. Did he actually play under the contract or otherwise receive money under it (i.e. a signing bonus etc.)?

2.) When was Kansas aware of the contract and what did they do in response?

3.) When was the NCAA aware of the contract? Did the NCAA clear DeSousa knowing about the contract or not?

4.) Once DeSousa ended up at Kansas what became of the contract? Is he in breach? What is the status of the contract now?

Note that on another board I asked a Kansas fan who claimed the situation was 'vetted' who exactly vetted it, and he said the NCAA. But I then asked for a link which explicitly mentions that the NCAA was aware of the pro contract and cleared him anyway. I'm still waiting for that. Starting to think that the NCAA wasn’t informed of this detail.
    Last edited by JPScott; 10-12-2018 at 09:22 AM.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
    Pitino did the same thing
    Pat Forde
    Real Fan since 1958

I’d assume Self and Kansas hold some cards over Roy and UNC due to the coaching connection. That in turn assured Emmett’s blind eue

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

So, Kanter could not play a game because ruled ineligible for very small cost reimbursements he was accused of taking after he signed a contract with a club team. If he had played UK would have been deemed to have lost all those games.

So, I assume KU will lose all their W's from last year?

Super Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    So, Kanter could not play a game because ruled ineligible for very small cost reimbursements he was accused of taking after he signed a contract with a club team. If he had played UK would have been deemed to have lost all those games.

So, I assume KU will lose all their W's from last year?
    Kanter never signed a contract with Fenerbahce. He was too young at the time. The FIBA regulations are that a player needs to be 18 years old before signing a pro contract. (I suppose a club could decide to ignore that and sign him anyway but if they did that they wouldn't be eligible to compete in any FIBA sanctioned events.)

Despite what the media liked to claim, Kanter never played as a professional while he was with Fenerbahce. He played in a few games WITH professionals but even the NCAA had recognized that this by itself doesn't make one a professional and they updated their regulations to account for that situation (before then it became a common tactic among some European teams to have their youth play with professionals in order to get them ineligible for collegiate competition.)

The issue cited by the NCAA was supposedly the amount of reimbursements that Kanter received to cover his living and educational expenses.
    Last edited by JPScott; 10-12-2018 at 12:21 PM.
    Receive updates on my UK website on Twitter at https://twitter.com/bigbluehistory