Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael

Michael

Redneck Riviera is the bullseye, hold on to your azz.

Looks like the Carolinas are going to get it again from the backside.

Thoughts and prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Michael

Texted a friend last night who lives in Panama City Beach. Eye looking to hit almost dead on there, slightly to its east.

Re: Michael

My wife’s favorite aunt was up here visiting last week for another aunt’s 70th birthday. She just got back home (St. Joe Beach) and had to turn around and leave again. It’s pretty much going straight over her house.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Upped to a Cat 4! That thing developed quick. Yesterday I was of the belief it was a big hubbub over nothing. Not so today. Fortunately I'm on the other side of FL and wont feel the effects. Off this weekend so might check into doing dome relief because they will need it
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Michael

Will still be a 1 Thursday on land.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 10-10-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Friends evacuated Monday. Update: 30 A to the west of estimated eye landfall. so thats good. Friend says whatchamacallit bay is getting choppy.
    Last edited by bigsky; 10-10-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Upped to a Cat 4! That thing developed quick. Yesterday I was of the belief it was a big hubbub over nothing. Not so today. Fortunately I'm on the other side of FL and wont feel the effects. Off this weekend so might check into doing dome relief because they will need it
    Now almost a Cat 5, it has strengthened considerably in the past 1.5 hrs. This is shaping up to be a worst case scenario for the area.

Michael

Scary.

My daughter's college has canceled classes this afternoon (their Fall break starts tomorrow anyway) and have advised the students not to drive after 2 pm. And they're central Georgia area.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Now almost a Cat 5, it has strengthened considerably in the past 1.5 hrs. This is shaping up to be a worst case scenario for the area.
    Fortunately it hit land between population centers. Only good thing, unless you lived in that spot. Still an amazing amount of damage but FL knows how to handle it. Will be back to normal in 2 to 3 weeks
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Michael

Fortunately it hit land between population centers. Only good thing, unless you lived in that spot. Still an amazing amount of damage but FL knows how to handle it. Will be back to normal in 2 to 3 weeks
    Mexico Beach is going to take a little longer than 2-3 weeks to get back to normal. The destruction is reminiscent of Homestead after Andrew.

Ironically the Andrew destruction is what prompted building codes to be upgraded. Unfortunately most of the homes in that area were built before the code changes.

A friend of mine talked to a home owner from Mexico Beach today and he said he thinks it’ll be a couple of years before he’ll get rebuilt.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Much of Homestead never rebuilt. Not sure if that will be the case in Mexico Beach, but the scenery is very similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Mexico Beach is going to take a little longer than 2-3 weeks to get back to normal. The destruction is reminiscent of Homestead after Andrew.

Ironically the Andrew destruction is what prompted building codes to be upgraded. Unfortunately most of the homes in that area were built before the code changes.

A friend of mine talked to a home owner from Mexico Beach today and he said he thinks it’ll be a couple of years before he’ll get rebuilt.

I have been a storm tracker, and tracker of the recovery from the damage caused by hurricanes and tornadoes for 50 years, and the only community damage that I have seen that compares to New Mexico beach was the
    F5 tornado that wiped out 95% of Greensburg Kansas in 2007.

The photos and film I have seen of New Mexico beach are amazingly sad. Whole city blocks devoid of buildings. There is nothing there save the concrete slabs the buildings once sat on. It looked like someone had swept the area clean.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I have been a storm tracker, and tracker of the recovery from the damage caused by hurricanes and tornadoes for 50 years, and the only community damage that I have seen that compares to New Mexico beach was the

The photos and film I have seen of New Mexico beach are amazingly sad. Whole city blocks devoid of buildings. There is nothing there save the concrete slabs the buildings once sat on. It looked like someone had swept the area clean.
    http://www.messtx.com/uploads/4/7/6/...69725_orig.jpg

Homestead

Andrew looked just the same. You could see the foundations and the driveways and the home was completely gone. In settling the insurance claims I was there to work on you basically had to look a the policy sq footage insured, photos if any were recent and write them a check.

Tyndall was wiped out. My question is this:

1) why were 3 very expensive F22 fighters and other aircraft still even on the ground there? I"m betting b/c they were being repaired and couldn't be flown, but otherwise you get all those planes somewhere else.

2) I'm assuming this base was so damaged b/c it is older with lower rated standards. I"m hoping the new facilities are ready for such things.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Thanks for the info on Andrew. Long time ago, but I remember seeing pictures of the damage, I just did not remember swept clean slabs like I saw of Michael's damage in New Mexico.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I need to look through all of my old files. That was way prior to digital photography and everything was 35mm on film back then. I may still have pics from then.
    Thanks for the info on Andrew. Long time ago, but I remember seeing pictures of the damage, I just did not remember swept clean slabs like I saw of Michael's damage in New Mexico.

Andrew just south of the Miami area flattened the area. Remember it well, lived just about there a couple of years beforehand and it was even scary then.

Have a couple of friends who live in Panama City Beach and Port St. Joe (well, he has a beach house there). The first one's house is severely damaged. I talked to the 2nd one today on his way back down to hopefully take a look (his son plays on my son's soccer team, and I gave him game updates. We won, 3-1, so at least he had that good news today.)

And not long after Andrew, Iniki hit the island of Kauai in Hawaii and once catastrophe duty concluded in Florida, it began in Hawaii.
    It was worse in Hawaii than in Florida simply because the building codes were non existent in Hawaii back then and homes far away from where the eye came ashore were destroyed by the outer rain/wind bands of the storm.

Rupp's Runt

Andrew was my very first hurricane. I was working at Martin Correctional Institution in Indiantown, FL. at that time, and was tasked with taking an inmate work crew down to Homestead to help with the clean-up.
    When we arrived in Homestead, or what used to be Homestead, I was stunned at the level of destruction. Guys, I'd been to Beirut in '83, but what I saw in Homestead made that pale in comparison.
    Complete, utter, total devastation on the most massive scale I have ever witnessed.
    Welcome to south Florida!
    In other news, it appears to be all hands on deck for the folks up in the Panhandle of Florida. We had traffic court this past Friday, but only one Trooper showed up, as most of the rest of "F" Troop in Ft. Myers was sent TDY to north Florida to help.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post

when I say normal I means power, water, govt facilities. Clearly the property damage will be much longer but I'm referring to the services provided. In comparison, with Francis and Jeanne...I had no power at work for a week and home for 4 days. Within 2 weeks all services were back on line, school in session, etc.

when I say normal I means power, water, govt facilities. Clearly the property damage will be much longer but I'm referring to the services provided. In comparison, with Francis and Jeanne...I had no power at work for a week and home for 4 days. Within 2 weeks all services were back on line, school in session, etc.
    As compared to Puerto Rico, for example....

I dont believe there is anything to run power or water to in Mexico City Beach

mexico city beach.jpg
    Last edited by kingcat; 10-14-2018 at 01:53 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Exactly. PR, despite being an American protectorate, is a third world country. It's corrupt, controlled by central government power and graft. The electricity was barely operating and was subject to wide outages and rolling blackouts before the storm. Getting back to "normal" there is still a very low standard of living.

In the US we will have lots of help and support and generally law and order will remain in place. Insurance adjusters and all kinds of professionals will arrive, set up shop, and things will get addressed in a reasonably professional, orderly manner.

Same thing would have happened in the PR if it wasn't a corrupt third world country.

even in the US IMO the level of local corruption is directly tied to the level of services an the recovery from such things.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

This was in Cutler Ridge and this damage was storm surge inflicted from Andrew. Attachment 7196

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    My post referenced FL, where it hit. Mexico, Puerto Rico, etc are not in FL. FL is experienced and ready to handle such natural disaster events and will be up and running asap.

Michael

Right. That's what I was saying. Florida, as contrasted with, say, Puerto Rico
    My post referenced FL, where it hit. Mexico, Puerto Rico, etc are not in FL. FL is experienced and ready to handle such natural disaster events and will be up and running asap.

Michael

Update from Panama City. From a friend of one of our soccer teammates.

In many (if not most) cases there was nothing to repair. Even the infrastructure.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain