Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

VAUGHT: No need to panic over Kentucky offense

By LARRY VAUGHT

When Kentucky didn’t give the ball to Benny Snell on a third-and-two play in overtime at Texas A&M Saturday night that led to a Terry Wilson sack and then a Miles Butler 43-yard field goal try that was no good, it reminded me how former all-SEC tight end Jacob Tamme often has told me that players have to execute no matter the play call.

“I would agree (with myself). Disliked the call. Disliked the decision by Terry even more,” Tamme replied back to me on Twitter after the game. “Benny needed more carries. In order for that to happen we have to convert some 3rd downs and we flat didn’t do it tonight. Got to be able to pitch and catch it. 3rd down offense had been solid overall until tonight.”

He’s right. That’s why I am not ready to panic over what has happened to the UK offense the last six quarters — not after seeing Mississippi State and Florida get wins over top 10 teams Auburn and LSU Saturday after both State and Florida lost to UK earlier this season.

Saturday’s win put Texas A&M into the national rankings again and also dropped UK only from 13th to 18th in the Associated Press poll with the Cats having a bye this week.

“Feels weird saying this because that game was frustrating on a lot of levels but let’s take a step back ... at midway point 3-1 in SEC and BY FAR our worst game is an OT loss at Texas A&M,” Tamme tweeted.

He’s right. Any UK fan would have jumped at the chance to be 5-1 before the season started — and that was before it appeared that Louisville and Tennessee are not nearly as good as most expected.

Former UK lineman Cole Mosier still knows plenty of players on the team. He also encouraged patience from UK fans after the loss.

“Let’s not forget A&M is a good team guys and should be ranked. Their two loses came to Alabama and Clemson. Trust me we didn’t do ourselves any favors but will be fine y’all I promise. Everyone will learn from this game and move on to the next opponent!” Mosier tweeted.

Then came this tweet from ESPN sideline reporter Holly Rowe that UK fans should read twice.

“@UKFootball has come a LONG way since I last covered them. @JoshAllen41_ is absolutely incredible. He was in like every single play and has to be accounted for EVERY moment. #gamewrecker” Rowe tweeted.

Re: VAUGHT: No need to panic over Kentucky offense

Still the offense and play calling have been laughable those last six quarters. It’s not that it was destined to be so or that the play calling was not an issue.

But, though understandable, only falling back to the same type excuses which this program has thrived on for years

No panic only legit concerns that the whole football world pretty much acknowledged. A team should be judged only by its own potentiial, not that of others
    Last edited by kingcat; 10-08-2018 at 02:06 AM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I agree with Tamme that you have to convert no matter what the coaches call, but what the heck. Right now I have the feeling that when we play Louisville we’ll come out throwing it (GaTech threw what? Twice?).

And I have a different take on seeing teams we’ve beaten do well. To me it’s particularly frustrating because we could be 4-0 in conference play and still have a game lead and the tiebreaker over Florida. Instead we’re both 3-1 and they could very well finish ahead of us, much like S. Carolina did last year.

Time for someone to say that’s just UK’s proper place lol.
    Don't panic

Don’t like all these comments like well it’s UK, any UK team would love to be 5-1 well that’s settling and we need to stop that. Bottom line is this team should be 6-0 and top 10 going into the bye week.
    Those type comments just get frustrating.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Don’t like all these comments like well it’s UK, any UK team would love to be 5-1 well that’s settling and we need to stop that. Bottom line is this team should be 6-0 and top 10 going into the bye week.
    Those type comments just get frustrating.
    As do these. Every team *could* be 6-0 going into a bye week (well, of course that is not true since those teams have to play other teams, so what about half of all teams *could* be 6-0 going into a bye week? ). But there are only about 10 undefeated teams.

I don't understand the need fans have of making themselves miserable. As I noted in another thread, why wallow in 5-1 when you can be celebrating 5-1?

I wonder what the person who wrote this on August 27 would think about UK being 5-1?

"You have 5 road games that are less then 50/50 as winning and two home games that are going to be very difficult to win.
    5-7 or 6-6 the second game at Florida will show a lot."

So from that guy's perspective, life is good!! We are 5-1 and ranked and *could* end up 9-2 which would definitely be the best season in my lifetime (I discount 77 due to us being on probation - if you are going to cheat, do it well enough to beat Baylor ) and maybe in the history of the program.

Just trying to cheer you up!!
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance—it is the illusion of knowledge."
    - Daniel J. Boorstin

Fiddlin' Five

We would be 6-0 right now "IF" Stoops & Gran would stop messing with the chemistry on offense. JMHO.

Don’t anyone consider me miserable. My football teams have only one loss and one is going to cruise to a title

I expect great effort every game. The key word however is game. I am not an excuse maker in sports and I believe they are rewarded well enough to suffer my high expectation.
    Last edited by kingcat; 10-08-2018 at 10:03 AM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Opinions do not make you miserable.
    Unfortunately what we see with Stoops are trends.
    Those of us that see the trends will always question and never sit on our hands so to speak.
    Love the position UK is in and want it to continue to grow but let’s be honest the game plan for the past 6 quarters has been terrible.

Time for someone to say that’s just UK’s proper place lol.
    UK football has such a long history of agony and despair, that I expect the rest of the season to go one of two ways and either is as likely as the other. Win 5 and lose 1, or win 2 and lose 4 or anywhere in between. Because of past history It is hard for me to have confidence in the staff to coach the players into a position to close out the season on a strong note. I will sit back add wait to see if they can prove my skepticism to be wrong.
    seeya
    dan

“I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.” Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    UK football has such a long history of agony and despair, that I expect the rest of the season to go one of two ways and either is as likely as the other. Win 5 and lose 1, or win 2 and lose 4 or anywhere in between. Because of past history It is hard for me to have confidence in the staff to coach the players into a position to close out the season on a strong note. I will sit back add wait to see if they can prove my skepticism to be wrong.
    I think this says perfectly what most of us are feeling.
    Last edited by kingcat; 10-08-2018 at 08:29 PM.