Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Parrish Article On Who Might Replace Cal; Though He Thinks Cal Coaches Into His 70s

at UK. CBs has done a series of articles on who would replace Coach K, Izzo, Cal, etc. IMO, Cal will coach at UK another 12-13 years and retire as an all time top 5 great coach. Contingent on good health, of course.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ace-coach-cal/

Darryl

Re: Parrish Article On Who Might Replace Cal; Though He Thinks Cal Coaches Into His 7

I agree that it seems more and more likely Cal stays. Which is amazing.

Just no way to predict who the candidates will be 5 years out.
    ~Puma~

Unforgettable

Re: Parrish Article On Who Might Replace Cal; Though He Thinks Cal Coaches Into His 7

I was reading this and stopped when I got to Shaka Smart.

The guy would replaces Cal is most likely not even a head coach yet

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    I was reading this and stopped when I got to Shaka Smart.

The guy would replaces Cal is most likely not even a head coach yet
    And that is what Parrish concluded at the end of the article.

Darryl

I'm surprised Andy Endfield didn't make the list, and if we're talking about unknown assistants 10-12 years down the line, why not Kenny Payne?

Shaka, Miller, Marshall? No way.

If Cal were to suddenly leave, would MB go to Donovan for a 3rd time?

My choice, today, has always been Mark Few.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    I'm surprised Andy Endfield didn't make the list, and if we're talking about unknown assistants 10-12 years down the line, why not Kenny Payne?

Shaka, Miller, Marshall? No way.

If Cal were to suddenly leave, would MB go to Donovan for a 3rd time?

My choice, today, has always been Mark Few.
    Few would be my choice too. Fun style, seems like a great person, laid back coaching, consistent program

Darryl

Few is a great coach. Gotta wonder if he would be up for the circus that is the UK job.

Freshman

I enjoyed the interview with Travis Reid much more than the article. He is such a great young man.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
    Few is a great coach. Gotta wonder if he would be up for the circus that is the UK job.
    I think it is a moot point because Cal will coach UK at least another decade.

Darryl

Blog Entries

Whoever gets the offer has to not only tolerate the intense spotlight but want it and thrive in it. That's going to be a small universe of candidates.

It would be hard for an assistant to be ready for the job, but if anyone would be I think it's KP. I think he'd deserve consideration, even if he's not the ultimate choice.
    All I did was stand up to a long laundry list of people who passed away today who couldn't stand up because what was done was wrong.--RP, 8/26/09

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    And that is what Parrish concluded at the end of the article.

Darryl
    I'm not sure if I should feel good about that nor not.

But if that is the conclusion, then why even write the article? Why do we have such a need to try to predict something that is completely unpredictable?

Honestly, at this point as good a guess as any might include Joel Justus. Justus graduated from UNCW in 2004 which puts him around 34 years old. So he might be a bit young if Cal only does 10 more years, but if Justus stayed here throughout who better to take over the monster that is UK basketball than someone who has spent almost 15 years around it?
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance—it is the illusion of knowledge."
    - Daniel J. Boorstin

I'm not sure if I should feel good about that nor not.

But if that is the conclusion, then why even write the article? Why do we have such a need to try to predict something that is completely unpredictable?

Honestly, at this point as good a guess as any might include Joel Justus. Justus graduated from UNCW in 2004 which puts him around 34 years old. So he might be a bit young if Cal only does 10 more years, but if Justus stayed here throughout who better to take over the monster that is UK basketball than someone who has spent almost 15 years around it?
    I'm not going to take anything away from what Justus could achieve as a coach, but if Cal were to leave, say, 12 years from now, he would be 46 and probably only a few years of head coaching experience, if given the opportunity. I would say that's a long shot. Having said that, though, if he were able to achieve success at a level that UK demands as a candidate, I would think he would be a favorite for the coach after next.

I think it will be Kenny for a few seasons and then Brad

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Im not a Mark Few fan. I think there are much better options out there.

You can get bitter or you can get better....I choose better

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Im not a Mark Few fan. I think there are much better options out there.
    Who?

If we had to hire a coach tomorrow.

Assuming there is nothing that violates NCAA rules, and nobody said he was retiring tomorrow.........

-Will Wade. I'm a big fan of his. He already has LSU better than it has been in years. Clearly a good recruiter.
    -Mike White. Although I assume he is pigeonholed for Duke
    -Earl Grant from College of Charleston.
    -Scott Padgett.

Again, all these are not ready today but we are not looking for a coach today.

Now if we are looking today
    -Jay Wright
    -Tony Bennett
    -Dana Altman

unless you could get Brad Steven............

Who?

If we had to hire a coach tomorrow.

The short answer is, if we had to hire a coach tomorrow, we're in some trouble. There are no great options who would take the job.

The truth is, the next coach is almost certainly going to be a big step down. Cal has done an incredible job AND he has the very rare trait of having the perfect personality/psyche for the job. There isn't anyone else out there like it.

Donovan wouldn't take the job when he was replacing Tubby for crying out loud. Can you imagine what it's going to be like trying to get someone to replace Cal?

Parrish Article On Who Might Replace Cal; Though He Thinks Cal Coaches Into His 70s

Curious who Cal would recommend for his own replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Assuming there is nothing that violates NCAA rules, and nobody said he was retiring tomorrow.........

-Will Wade. I'm a big fan of his. He already has LSU better than it has been in years. Clearly a good recruiter.
    -Mike White. Although I assume he is pigeonholed for Duke
    -Earl Grant from College of Charleston.
    -Scott Padgett.

Again, all these are not ready today but we are not looking for a coach today.

Now if we are looking today
    -Jay Wright
    -Tony Bennett
    -Dana Altman

unless you could get Brad Steven............
    Some interesting names...

For the coaches of today:

I take a total pass on Tony Bennett.
    I like Altman, definitely would prefer Few.
    Jay Wright has already proven he can win anywhere, he doesn't need to come to UK, so I completely excluded him from consideration.
    Brad Stevens, that's like back in the 80's and 90's always bringing up Pat Riley. Stevens is never coaching in college in the next 20 years, maybe if ever. I totally exclude him from a conversation too.

If all else was equal and we completely disregarded coaches desires, past troubles and everything else. That every coach put his name in the hat and we could pick anyone, this would probably be my list:

1. Brad Stevens
    2. Bruce Pearl
    3. Jay Wright
    4. Billy Donovan
    5. Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Curious who Cal would recommend for his own replacement.

I'm sure Kenny Payne. Coaches are loyal to their guys.

To me it will have to be someone young in their 40's that has a huge ego that can deal with the pressure and thrives on the pressure, you can't get to Kentucky and think you have make it you have to get to Kentucky and want to build your legacy.

Some mention Payne to me he is a great assistant but in no way could handle the pressure of head man at UK, he is a background kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    The short answer is, if we had to hire a coach tomorrow, we're in some trouble. There are no great options who would take the job.

The truth is, the next coach is almost certainly going to be a big step down. Cal has done an incredible job AND he has the very rare trait of having the perfect personality/psyche for the job. There isn't anyone else out there like it.

Donovan wouldn't take the job when he was replacing Tubby for crying out loud. Can you imagine what it's going to be like trying to get someone to replace Cal?
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Some interesting names...

For the coaches of today:

I take a total pass on Tony Bennett.
    I like Altman, definitely would prefer Few.
    Jay Wright has already proven he can win anywhere, he doesn't need to come to UK, so I completely excluded him from consideration.
    Brad Stevens, that's like back in the 80's and 90's always bringing up Pat Riley. Stevens is never coaching in college in the next 20 years, maybe if ever. I totally exclude him from a conversation too.

If all else was equal and we completely disregarded coaches desires, past troubles and everything else. That every coach put his name in the hat and we could pick anyone, this would probably be my list:

1. Brad Stevens
    2. Bruce Pearl
    3. Jay Wright
    4. Billy Donovan
    5. Mark Few
    Well Bruce Pearl isn't happening so you can write that one off. As much as Stevens is a no go, so would Billy D. Of course when Pitino was with the Knicks, he too was a lifer for the NBA.

As for Bennett, I know many don't find him appealing because defense is boring. Folks would rather win 100-95 than 50-45. I get it, but consider him an excellent coach. Some will claim he hasn't won a title but neither has Few, Stevens or Pearl.
    Last edited by Doc; 09-20-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Well Bruce Pearl isn't happening so you can write that one off. As much as Stevens is a no go, so would Billy D. Of course when Pitino was with the Knicks, he too was a lifer for the NBA.

As for Bennett, I know many don't find him appealing because defense is boring. Folks would rather win 100-95 than 50-45. I get it, but consider him an excellent coach. Some will claim he hasn't won a title but neither has Few, Stevens or Pearl.
    Few and Stevens have been to a championship game, that's good enough. I don't look at winning a championship as the bar. Competing for a championship does, and that doesn't mean a random final four. I know that my definition would differ from others, but that's my criteria. Of course, Stevens has completely blown past that minimum criteria.

Pearl, I'm definitely not kidding myself that he's a legit option. I like him solely as a coach plus has the best personality and makeup of anyone to be a UK coach. With him, though, I put him in a different bucket than Stevens, something that would never happen because of his past issues. Sean Miller is in that bucket too(but I wouldn't have him on any "fantasy" list).

That's why when you start crossing names off that list of mine, I really just end up with Mark Few.

Back to Bennett, losing a game to a 16 seed in the tourney is worse than losing to VMI, Gardner-Webb, San Diego and missing a tournament. He is a PERFECT coach for a team like Virginia, not UK, IMO. UK is a program that if you don't have a rock star personality, you have to have a rock star style of play. Bennett has neither. It would be Tubby II, but that's just one man's opinion.

I guess the main point of all this, we just need to make sure that Cal sticks around for a while, because if we're debating between the fantasy guys, Few and Bennett, then it would be a world of trouble for the program if he were to unexpectedly leave.
    Last edited by StuBleedsBlue2; 09-20-2018 at 04:02 PM.

Chris Holtman of Ohio State would be a good candidate to replace Cal. Archie Miller could be a potential candidate in a few years.

This thread is a pretty good indication at how sad the state of college basketball coaching is right now.

You have a handful of "elites" Imo: Cal, K, Roy, Self, Izzo and Wright

You have your Tier 2 guys (Imo): Few, Bennett, Huggins, Miller and Beilein

And then a whole lot of everyone else. Probably the best younger coaches that might be considered are Archie Miller and Holtman.

Who do I think UK would go after if Cal left today: Wright, Self and Few in that order.

Who would I go after if Cal left today: Wright, Self and Few in that order. Ha. My next best option would be Beilein. I'm a fan of his.

I doubt Wright would take the job. But I doubt that less than I used to. Now that Nova is starting to lose guys early, I could see him actually leaving. But more likely for an NBA gig.

I think Self is the best combo of Coach/Recruiter/Style/Personality that might actually take the job. He isn't perfect and has his flaws...but so does everyone on that list. And I would give him a slight nod over Few for the UK job.
    ~Puma~

Recruiting would undoubtedly suffer drastically. We are spoiled and no coach (At least not one who is qualified) would want to follow Cal...except Kenny who would continue to recruit on Cal's level, maintain the status quo as far as staff, run the same stuff, and follow Cal's "player first" template. He may add a zone however.

It is a no brain'er imho. We 'aint going to be easy to please when instead of a top two class we settle for top ten and a promise of building a title contender. And that is exactly what we will get with a new staff and style

Another program would instantly fill the vacuum UK leaves. And..before the "But we are UK" argument is used, we are not entitled to elite status despite what we like to believe. Look at the pre Cal years for proof
    Last edited by kingcat; 09-20-2018 at 06:53 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

If it were tomorrow, put me down for Jay Wright, and even though he would remove his name from consideration, Rick Barnes is doing fair at arngeville.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

^Neither would work for me.

Unforgettable

I'm assuming people realize Kenny Payne is 51. Would we really hire someone to take over who would be in their early 60s?

Just to clarify, my comment about Justus was less about him specifically and more about preferring someone who understands what UK basketball is as opposed to someone who had a couple of good years at West North Southeastern State.

The good news is that it appears we do not have to worry about this for a number of years.

I'm assuming people realize Kenny Payne is 51. Would we really hire someone to take over who would be in their early 60s?

Just to clarify, my comment about Justus was less about him specifically and more about preferring someone who understands what UK basketball is as opposed to someone who had a couple of good years at West North Southeastern State.

The good news is that it appears we do not have to worry about this for a number of years.
    What’s old about being sixty something. It’s the new forty’ish or didn’t you hear?