Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Oh, this is a great scam...

This is the second call I've gotten to inform me the IRS is suing me.

I have my taxes professionally done. The last 2 years I have gotten notices of underpayment and had my accountant take car of it. Last one I got was resolved 8 months ago and owed nothing, so I'm sure my tax situation is good.

So a couple weeks ago I get a call, message on voicemail, about a pending lawsuit by the IRS and I need to call back (the number is a NY number, not Washington) and it came at like 7:00pm. I ignore it but planned to ask my accountant...but forgot. So tonight I get the same call, same number, approx the same time, same voice message. So I call it back and say "So this the IRS or is this a scam?" and the guy hangs up (10 second call), so I call it right back and this time he hangs up after 2 seconds. So I call again and this time I get a different guy who answers the phone. I ask him "SO IS THIS A SCAM" while laughing. The guy mutters some crap in Indian or Pakistanee (???) and say "yup, di is a scum". I assume the normal route is you call back and they need you Social Security number to "look up the case", and bazinga...they have you SS#. Then they likely get your address, DOB, etc so they can get it taken care of..... and they are good to go.

I'm going to play the voice message for my accountant just to be sure but damn, I might have considered it real if I didn't know I was good on my taxes.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: Oh, this is a great scam...

Unfortunately people fall prey to these scams. If the IRS has a tax issue with a citizen they don't call, they contact you via mail.

Got one of those while on a little vacation getaway with my wife, her sister and my brother-in-law.
    We were relaxing the day away at the South Holston Lake in East Tennessee when it came in, I had it on speaker and I advised Mumbling Mumbai Mark, oh, if there is an issue you can take it up with my accountant, she just happens to be here.
    You ought to have heard a fellow with a thick Indian accent, and my sister-in-law with here deep East Tennessee twang; it was absolutely priceless.
    Got to admit, he hung in longer than i thought, but then again he is not married to her sister and did not know how close he was to Sis driving to Miami to deliver him a professional butt whoopin...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Rupp's Runt

Oh, this is a great scam...

Send me $100,000 and I'll take care of it for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yep, that's a solid scam. They are doing the IRS thing by phone, email, probably snail mail. "IRS" has high pucker-factor, so it works.

The IRS Is going to send you a letter, and if it's that serious they will send it return receipt b/c they'll require legal notice.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

W
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Unfortunately people fall prey to these scams. If the IRS has a tax issue with a citizen they don't call, they contact you via mail.
    With just about all US agencies they will not call you unless they are returning your call. They do their deeds in writing.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    W

With just about all US agencies they will not call you unless they are returning your call. They do their deeds in writing.
    Exactly.......
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.