Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 40
  1. #1

    Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    I know many of you may have heard about the 18-year old who has been accused of driving while intoxicated after the Kentucky game Saturday. The four-year old boy he struck, Marco Shemwell, passed away tonight from injuries suffered in that accident.

    God bless.

  2. #2

    Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    😥

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

  3. #3

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    My heart breaks for that family Darrell. Prayers for strength to endure this awful situation. A very poor decision by that 18 year old has really devastated the lives of another innocent family. Although he will have to face the penalty of those actions. He and his family need prayer as well. Shew, really sad to hear that this evening.

  4. #4

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    Just an awful awful situation. Prayers for everyone

  5. #5

    Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    @vincemarrow: Our condolences go out to the Shemwell Family for the passing of their son Marco Lee Shemwell.**A beautiful soul that was taken far too early. May they be comforted during this difficult time. Keep the Shemwell Family in your prayers BBN

  6. #6
    Comeback Cat Catfan73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    4,564

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    Truly awful and unimaginable. Prayers to his family
    Don't panic

  7. #7
    Fab Five catmanjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Posts
    15,763

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    Very sad! Prayers go out!

  8. #8
    Fiddlin' Five
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Moore Haven, FL
    Posts
    7,084

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    Prayers and condolences for the family of the victim, and prayers for the family of the accused.
    What this young man is facing through the legal system and for himself will follow him for the rest of his life.
    I've seen way too much of this kind of tragedy throughout my career as a LEO.

  9. #9
    Rupp's Runt
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories
    Posts
    9,282

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    How awful. Prayers to all. Including the driver. No words.
    This will be a day longer remembered. It has seen the end of Pitino and will soon see the end of Louisville. September 27, 2017

  10. #10

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    I’m sick this morning..just sick

  11. #11
    Comeback Cat BigBluePappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    3,434

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    My eldest great grandson is a four year old.
    I can not begin to imagine the grief.
    Prayers to both families.
    Compromise: An amiable arrangement between husband and wife whereby they agree to let her have her own way.

  12. #12

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    I just donít understand it at all. One decision has lead to a bunch of devastation.

  13. #13

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    Terrible tragedy. I never understood drinking and driving. When I was 18 and at UK, if I boozed, I stayed put, walked, or rode my bike. Now, in the day of Uber and lyft, there’s absolutely no sense why anyone would even consider chancing it.

  14. #14

    Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    @UKMitchBarnhart: Our hearts are broken for the Shemwell family. We ask our fans to join us in supporting them through unimaginable tragedy while respecting their privacy. Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with Marco's family and all those whose lives he touched. We pray for peace for them.

  15. #15

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    Two lives and families broken in one event. All are in my prayers.

  16. #16

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    There are not words to express how much this hurts! Prayers for all.

  17. #17
    Bombino
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Russell Springs, KY
    Posts
    1,906

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    When I was a freshmen at UK in 1966 you had to live on campus and weren't allowed a car unless your family lived in Lexington. I know that was in the Middle Ages but not a bad rule in light of this tragedy.

  18. #18
    Fiddlin' Five StuBleedsBlue2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    6,551

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    It is just a sad story all around.

    Tragic accidents happen, but a real tragedy in this case is that the driver had a .05 blood alcohol level. That's one beer. Most likely, alcohol didn't play a factor in this.

    However, if you're under 18, ANY blood alcohol results in a DUI and he's going to end up doing some hard time. Drinking age should be 18, not 21. It's one of the dumbest laws on the books. The punishment, at least how I see it today, certainly will be more severe than the incident.

    Nothing is going to bring back Marco, and not much is more sad than that reality, but there's more than that at stake here.

  19. #19

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    It is just a sad story all around.

    Tragic accidents happen, but a real tragedy in this case is that the driver had a .05 blood alcohol level. That's one beer. Most likely, alcohol didn't play a factor in this.

    However, if you're under 18, ANY blood alcohol results in a DUI and he's going to end up doing some hard time. Drinking age should be 18, not 21. It's one of the dumbest laws on the books. The punishment, at least how I see it today, certainly will be more severe than the incident.

    Nothing is going to bring back Marco, and not much is more sad than that reality, but there's more than that at stake here.

    I actually agree that the drinking age should be 18.

    I also agree that it’s tragic for all involved, including the driver and his family.

    But I disagree that .05 is “one beer.”

    Something doesn’t add up. The driver says he had two beers at 9:30. But he blew a .05, smelled strongly of alcohol and showed signs of impairment more than 4 1/2 hours later when the accident happened.

    According to the charts I’ve seen, a 160 pound man would have a BAC of .05 after 2 drinks in an hour, but that you would subtract .015 for each hour after drinking. Meaning if he had really had only two beers with the last one at 10:00 he should’ve blown a .005 at 2:00.

    I’d say it’s not a given alcohol was a factor, but it’s more likely than not.

    Either way, an absolute tragedy for all involved.

  20. #20
    Fiddlin' Five StuBleedsBlue2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    6,551

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    I actually agree that the drinking age should be 18.

    I also agree that it’s tragic for all involved, including the driver and his family.

    But I disagree that .05 is “one beer.”

    Something doesn’t add up. The driver says he had two beers at 9:30. But he blew a .05, smelled strongly of alcohol and showed signs of impairment more than 4 1/2 hours later when the accident happened.

    According to the charts I’ve seen, a 160 pound man would have a BAC of .05 after 2 drinks in an hour, but that you would subtract .015 for each hour after drinking. Meaning if he had really had only two beers with the last one at 10:00 he should’ve blown a .005 at 2:00.

    I’d say it’s not a given alcohol was a factor, but it’s more likely than not.

    Either way, an absolute tragedy for all involved.
    You're probably right on the "one beer", but not more than two.

    There's still facts trickling out, but my initial feeling is that a bad law could end up giving him a punishment that may not be deserving. I had a friend years ago that accidentally killed a woman with dementia that got out of her house and wasn't supposed to, driving late at night in the fog. He didn't face any legal issues, but it destroyed him for a while.

    For this young man, this is a whole lot worse.

    The family that lost their son, it doesn't matter how it happened, at least not now. Maybe never.

  21. #21

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    I actually agree that the drinking age should be 18.

    I also agree that it’s tragic for all involved, including the driver and his family.

    But I disagree that .05 is “one beer.”

    Something doesn’t add up. The driver says he had two beers at 9:30. But he blew a .05, smelled strongly of alcohol and showed signs of impairment more than 4 1/2 hours later when the accident happened.

    According to the charts I’ve seen, a 160 pound man would have a BAC of .05 after 2 drinks in an hour, but that you would subtract .015 for each hour after drinking. Meaning if he had really had only two beers with the last one at 10:00 he should’ve blown a .005 at 2:00.

    I’d say it’s not a given alcohol was a factor, but it’s more likely than not.

    Either way, an absolute tragedy for all involved.
    Staring at his phone.

  22. #22

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    ^^^^^*
    That could be anyone because I see that happen in traffic almost DAILY.
    Last edited by UKRxman93; 09-19-2018 at 12:49 AM.

  23. #23
    Fab Five Darryl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky
    Posts
    22,286

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    You're probably right on the "one beer", but not more than two.

    There's still facts trickling out, but my initial feeling is that a bad law could end up giving him a punishment that may not be deserving. I had a friend years ago that accidentally killed a woman with dementia that got out of her house and wasn't supposed to, driving late at night in the fog. He didn't face any legal issues, but it destroyed him for a while.

    For this young man, this is a whole lot worse.

    The family that lost their son, it doesn't matter how it happened, at least not now. Maybe never.
    It will be never.

    Darryl

  24. #24
    Bombino
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Russell Springs, KY
    Posts
    1,906

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    I would assume the young man's phone records will be subpoenaed to see if he was texting at time of the incident. As all know that creates a greater risk than driving impaired. Here we may have a combination of both. Such a awful event for both families involved. If he was texting he is looking at Manslaughter 2d at a minimum which carries 5-10 years. Not going to prejudge at this stage though. Prayers for both families.

  25. #25

    Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    Prayers to both families for this senseless tragedy.

    I have some friends whose 17 year old son was killed in an accident by an 18 year old who was driving impaired. He too had a very low alcohol level.

    My friends petitioned the court to not give the offender any jail time. They knew what it was like and how it felt to lose their son and they did not want the other parents to have to feel the same pain of losing their son too. In the end the kid got probation, but he was tormented by the accident for a very long time.

    However it turns out both families are never going to be the same... God bless.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

  26. #26

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by UKRxman93 View Post
    ^^^^^*
    That could be anyone because I see that happen DAILY.

    you'll never see me do it, because its against the law. statistics show that being an asshole usually gets someone hurt.

  27. #27

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    Not saying itís right or legal, it does happen much more than it should, and way too often has tragic consequences. I know someone whose daughter was killed 2-3 years back when she glanced down at her phone but didnít realize the semi in front of her had stopped at a red light. She was a responsible, God fearing, high character young woman. She lived for several days as this happened right around Thanksgiving then finally succumbed to injuries from the accident despite surgeries and passed away. She was 19 or 20. One of the hardest funerals I ever had to attend.
    Last edited by UKRxman93; 09-19-2018 at 12:45 AM.

  28. #28
    Unforgettable
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the South Bank of the Cahaba River
    Posts
    11,248

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by HerbTarlek View Post
    Staring at his phone.
    This scares me far more than DUI. I ride a bike, mostly on city streets, about 80 miles a month. As I ride I will frequently have a car pull right up next to me at a stop light about a foot or two away where I can look right into the front seat. More often than not, there is a phone in the driverís lap. If the driver is female and under 50, it is 99% of the time. And for the record I have yet to see an open container when someone pulls up next to me.
    Real Fan since 1958

  29. #29
    Fiddlin' Five StuBleedsBlue2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    6,551

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    This scares me far more than DUI. I ride a bike, mostly on city streets, about 80 miles a month. As I ride I will frequently have a car pull right up next to me at a stop light about a foot or two away where I can look right into the front seat. More often than not, there is a phone in the driver’s lap. If the driver is female and under 50, it is 99% of the time. And for the record I have yet to see an open container when someone pulls up next to me.
    I've never figured out how people have it in them to bike in traffic in busy cities. The first month I was in Chicago, I was in a cab and the car in front of me plowed right into a biker. It's not all drivers fault, though, people on bikes don't obey traffic laws, which only adds to it and compounded with the numbers of distracted drivers, which only grows in the number of ways people can be distracted these days.

    IMO, distracted driving is equally, if not more dangerous than drinking and driving. I'm not going to act like I'm a perfect person and pretend I haven't been guilty of either, but both are things that I avoid at all attempts. In those times, I'm overly attentive when I've had a couple of drinks. If I'm distracted, the last thing I care about is what's happening around me while I'm preoccupied. I can count the number of times on one hand that I've been guilty of either for some long time now, at least.

    I'll say too, the driving demographic that makes me tighten my grip and posture behind the wheel, besides groups of teens, are women applying makeup.

  30. #30
    Unforgettable
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the South Bank of the Cahaba River
    Posts
    11,248

    Re: Four-year old Marco Shemwell has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    I've never figured out how people have it in them to bike in traffic in busy cities. The first month I was in Chicago, I was in a cab and the car in front of me plowed right into a biker. It's not all drivers fault, though, people on bikes don't obey traffic laws, which only adds to it and compounded with the numbers of distracted drivers, which only grows in the number of ways people can be distracted these days.

    ...........

    I'll say too, the driving demographic that makes me tighten my grip and posture behind the wheel, besides groups of teens, are women applying makeup.
    I am have few reservations about biking in Birmingham, Atlanta, DC, or Boston. Chicago, NYC and LA are another story.

    Women drivers applying makeup and eye liner aren't nearly as bad as the woman I passed on I-20 in Downtown Atlanta who was curling her eyelashes while driving. She was half sitting on the console with her face about 2 inches from the rear view mirror.
    Real Fan since 1958

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •