Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

VAUGHT: Cats loss to Gators last year "mind boggling, heart breaking, gut punching"

By LARRY VAUGHT

As SEC Network analyst Tom Hart watched Kentucky blow a fourth-quarter lead and lose to Florida for the 31st straight time last year at Kroger Field, a few words to describe the debacle where Kentucky twice left a Florida receiver uncovered at the line of scrimmage went through his mind.

“Mind boggling, heart breaking, gut punching,” said Hart.

He’ll be in Gainesville Saturday night calling the game again when UK hopes to end the nation’s longest consecutive losing streak to one team.

Yet he still remembers a scene from his plane ride back home after last year’s UK loss.

“The woman sitting behind us knew what we did. She told us she had been a season ticket holder for 30 years and said she was never going back,” Hart said. “She was dead serious. She was that upset. When you leave a guy uncovered not once but twice, have a key holding penalty to negate a run that put you in position for a winning field goal … Kentucky just did so many things wrong when it was in position to win.

“I’ve got to admit. I have not seen anything quite like leaving a guy uncovered not once but twice to give up two touchdowns.”

Hart told Kentucky coach Mark Stoops this week he admired the way he was able to get his team to regroup after that devastating loss. He admitted it was the toughest loss he had ever dealt with but he got them to come back and have a solid, if not good, season. You cannot over appreciate how difficult it is to take that kick to the gut and then meet with your kids and tell them they still need to believe in us (the coaching staff) and trust us.”

Kentucky is a 15-point underdog Saturday night and Hart can understand why UK fans might feel like the Cats will never beat the Gators.

“But Kentucky absolutely has a chance to win this game. Kentucky was the better team last year,” Hart said. “I called that game and the atmosphere at Commonwealth (now Kroger Field) was incredible. Maybe the best I have ever seen there. I’ve been there for a couple of big games, including South Carolina a few years ago, but the Kentucky fans were great that night.”

Florida had seven players suspended for its opening game and six more out with injuries. Florida coach Dan Mullen won’t reveal until sometime Saturday if all or any of the players will play against Kentucky.

“If they all return, obviously it’s a big difference in the Gators,” Hart said. “Kentucky is a talented, physical team. I think they have a great defensive team this year. Florida has great speed on the edge and the defensive line is pretty good. But I think Kentucky’s defensive guys up front have an opportunity to get to the quarterback. The Florida offensive line has not been what it has been. It will be interesting to see how aggressive (UK defensive coordinator) Matt House decides to be.”

Florida has questions at linebacker, so Hart — like a lot of Kentucky fans — looks for tight end C.J. Conrad to have a big game after making just three catches for nine yards in last week’s win.

“I think he’ll have a much bigger role in the game plan given Florida’s linebacker situation,” Hart said. “I know he’s a talented receiver who can create big mismatches. He can be valuable all over the field.”

Count Hart as a fan of former walk-on David Bouvier, UK’s starting receiver who had a touchdown catch last week. Hart said Bouvier reminds him of former NFL star Wesley Welker.

“What a great story David Bouvier is. Given his size and reliability, he’s so much like Wes Welker,” Hart said. “He catches everything that comes his way and who knows, maybe he’ll have another big game against Florida.”

Fiddlin' Five

Re: VAUGHT: Cats loss to Gators last year "mind boggling, heart breaking, gut punchin

Doesn't change a thing.
    We still lost a game we should have won. Was poised to win.
    But gave away. On a silver platter. To a terrible opposing coach and the worst team Florida has had since the late 1960's -early 1970's. I
    Because our head coach is a MORON. JMHO. 😠

Re: VAUGHT: Cats loss to Gators last year "mind boggling, heart breaking, gut punchin

I would describe that loss as: self-inflicted.

Florida has questions at linebacker, so Hart — like a lot of Kentucky fans — looks for tight end C.J. Conrad to have a big game after making just three catches for nine yards in last week’s win.

Lucy will jerk that football out of the way once again. All of you other fans have a heck of a lot more faith in the offensive play callers if you believe Conrad will get more than 4 or 5 chances to help the cause thru the air.
    seeya
    dan

“I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.” Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post

Lucy will jerk that football out of the way once again. All of you other fans have a heck of a lot more faith in the offensive play callers if you believe Conrad will get more than 4 or 5 chances to help the cause thru the air.
    It would help if Conrad were ever more than the 3rd read on any pass play. I would love once to see our qb’s stare down Conrad and subsequently throw a terrible interception, while somebody else ran down the field wide open. It would be a refreshing change, for once. We would at least know at that point that the coaching staff had installed a package wherein Conrad was the #1 option.

Fiddlin' Five

Conrad is without a doubt an all-SEC TE, a potential formidable weapon, that EVERYONE ELSE IN THE SEC sees as the best in his position in the league, but........of course, our coaching staff just cannot find a way to utilize his talents for the team's benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Conrad is without a doubt an all-SEC TE, a potential formidable weapon, that EVERYONE ELSE IN THE SEC sees as the best in his position in the league, but........of course, our coaching staff just cannot find a way to utilize his talents for the team's benefit.
    His blocking prowess goes unnoticed by most, but he is very important to the run game's success.
    seeya
    dan

“I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.” Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post

Yes, I saw a post before the first game suggesting the issue was the QB last year. Just doesn't seem to be the case. Seems more schematic than that.

Fiddlin' Five

Look, this Kentucky O-line might be pretty good at run blocking, but at best they're marginal in pass protection.
    Stephen Johnson, as good as he was, did not get the ball out of his hand on pass plays very quickly. Our new QB doesn't get the ball out of his hands on pass plays very fast either.
    Now, Gunnar Hoak does. But he's a pro-style QB that likes to hurl the ball around, and this coaching staff doesn't want that. They want to run the ball.
    And I still say 5-7.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Yes, I saw a post before the first game suggesting the issue was the QB last year. Just doesn't seem to be the case. Seems more schematic than that.
    I remember reading that Gran's offense at Cinn.was GREAT for tight ends so I don't think it's Gran , unless he's changed .

It is not Gran. Its a defensive mindset that says the tight end can be defended easily and very successfully if you know it is coming.

So he settles for the threat alone and blocking for very good and elusive runners, almost exclusively.
    Our head coach just is not a fan of good offense and over thinks things defensively.
    Maybe this is the year he grows into being a head coach. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by kingcat; 09-08-2018 at 02:17 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    It is not Gran. Its a defensive mindset that says the tight end can be defended easily and very successfully if you know it is coming.

So he settles for the threat alone and blocking for very good and elusive runners, almost exclusively.
    Our head coach just is not a fan of good offense and over thinks things defensively.
    Maybe this is the year he grows into being a head coach. Fingers crossed.
    kingcat- my brother, I truly wish it was that simple. Unfortunately, it isn't.
    Because our head football coach is the worst in-game coach in the SEC. And maybe one of the worst in all of college football.