Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

What's your grill setup?

I've had a Charbroil gas grill for almost 10 years. I replaced the tubes/grates about 5 years ago, and it's time for another replacement.

But I've been thinking about ditching the rig and going back to charcoal--particularly, a Weber kettle grill. I like that there aren't any internal parts to replace (aside from the grate, maybe) and I've taken a look at some aftermarket add-ons so you can use it as a smoker.

OTOH, I like the convenience of hitting a button and you're grilling in about 5-10 minutes. It's been a long time since I had a charcoal grill, but I know it takes longer than that to get up and running.

So what do you have? What do you like or dislike? Thoughts on gas vs. charcoal?
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

Re: What's your grill setup?

I switched to gas, just so I can do it on the fly a little easier with kids. But really, I love charcoal, and once you get your system down. It is not that much harder.

But with gas, I can decide I want a quick burger and just go out and do it. Charcoal was pre-kids, so we would just plan on cooking several burgers for us and usually the parents. But now, it is normally just a burger or two at a time.

I put my grill into an island. Which I love but is more limiting on what I get, but I may add a stand alone charcoal or cast iron. Depending on what you cook, don't rule out cast iron. I have a Blackstone that I keep over my parents and I LOVE it.

Rupp's Runt

Someone on here really likes their Green Egg, I can't remember who. But that may be something I consider in the future as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Someone on here really likes their Green Egg, I can't remember who. But that may be something I consider in the future as well.
    I believe CitizenBBN has one and loves it.

I've never had any high end charcoal grills, but really enjoyed them on the "lower end" even then. I think it has a better taste, and you can do more with it.

On the other hand, on Labor Day my wife and I traveled to LaGrange, Ga., had a late lunch with my daughter, then went to Atlanta and Six Flags, and then drove home. I walked in the door at 6:50 p.m. At 7:15 p.m. we were eating hamburgers I had grilled on the infrared gas grill, with hot dogs and brats. I literally walked to the deck, turned on the gas to preheat, prepared the meat with the small amount of seasoning, and then cooked them. My wife got the tomatoes, onions, cheese, etc. ready and baked some fries.

No way I do that with charcoal. Heck, it usually took me 25 minutes to find the charcoal I had hidden in the garage .

I have thought about having both, but right now, I'm still in my honeymoon phase with the convenience of an infrared gas grill, and I doubt I'd take the time to grill with charcoal. Maybe later. I usually go through phases anyway; sometimes years long.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I'm not the only one but I'm one of them.

Takes a little learning curve to dial in on it no doubt, tweaking the air flow to get the temperature constant where you want it, but it's outstanding. I load charcoal for 2-3 grillings at least, I use old fashioned wood pulp starter cubes, takes 25-20 minutes to get going good give or take.

LIke I said, learning how to control the top and bottom vent to get the level of heat you want takes some feel, but once you get that down it's about the quickest and easiest charcoal grill you can use.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Charcoal. Weber. There is nothing better unless you shell out for an Egg. Veggies are meant to be prepared over charcoal. BBQ in the Kettle is consistently good.
    Real Fan since 1958