Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Why would the gov't subsidize funerals? And this is what happens.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/23...-expenses.html

Of course the answer to the question is its a vote for the democrats! Research shows dead people almost always vote "D".

Joking aside...why is the government subsidizing funerals? When did burials become part of the governmental mandate? So we have now succeeded it taking care of us in life with welfare, medicare, medicaide, ACA, etc...and now death. Now we just need to get the goverment into assisting with the conception process, although at times I feel like the gov't is screwing me already.

And like most subsidized things, be it medicare or welfare, its ripe for abuse. One of the main reasons the Bernie Sanders "free college for all" will result in skyrocketing educational costs. Chicago is a classic experiment on left wing politics, and people should look at how these cities are fairing.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: Why would the gov't subsidize funerals? And this is what happens.

I have a bit of experience with this in Illinois when my grandmother was committed to nursing home care and passed away in 2009.
    When she was admitted, we planned her funeral arrangements in conjunction with the nursing home. Part of that agreement was to sign over any insurance policies she had to pay the subsequent bills. Any guesses as to what happened?
    The state of Illinois took the policy payment upon her death and didn’t pay any of the bills associated with her 6 week nursing home stay or her funeral. The bills were paid (in an amount the state of Illinois thought was sufficient) in 2013....
    That is why the state is paying for funerals...

Why did the state take the policy payment? It should have gone to the nursing home if that was the arrangement (the beneficiary).
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

The sale of her small, quaint home was to cover the nursing home and medical items that resulted. It took 18 month for the state to sell it too. I can understand why the state would confiscate the home money simply because it’s was our understanding that was to suffice for paying for her nursing home stay. The insurance policy was to pay for her funeral expenses. That was our understanding. The funeral home director told us her situation wasn’t unique and they’ve had some cases where they haven’t been paid (yet as far as I know)
    Illinois is broke in ways you can’t imagine. They doubled the income tax a few years ago. The state doesn’t upkeep federal roads (interstates) and defers to what is needed statewide. There are lottery winnings that the state will not payout and lawsuits have ensued over it.
    It’s a huge clusterf@&*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Why did the state take the policy payment? It should have gone to the nursing home if that was the arrangement (the beneficiary).

Sure the states broke. That's what happens when the government pays for everything and the poor don't pay "their fair share" (or any share) because they rely on the rich to foot the bill. The rich leave because they are tired of being screwed and the money leaves with it

Fab Five

Illinois has surpassed California.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Is surpassed the correct term when Illinois has sunk below California? I think of surpassed as a superlative term and not a negative one.

I have had local funeral home owners tell me that there are a huge percentage of funerals that they receive nothing for. One funeral director said the number of unpaid funerals for them was nearly 40% in which they do not receive any compensation for the funeral. This was nearly a decade ago, so I doubt it has gotten better. This is a huge reason why funerary costs are now in the $7500-$10K range on average.

I know of a number of instances where funeral homes have donated their services for infant funerals, and do not know if these are included in the 40% stat.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    California is expecting a 6.1 billion surplus in 2018. That’s a fraction of the overall debt that’s accumulated over time but it’s the right direction. It’s why Gov Brown has been so popular.
    Often, I have found the stones casts at states to be misguided.
    Yes, California has a lot of state debt. It’s not because it’s a “liberal state”. It’s because it’s a hugely populous state.
    Just use google. Look up state debts all over the US.
    Then look at the states population. You will see a very direct correlation. It won’t matter if the state is conservative, liberal, etc.
    In fact, you can almost blindly multiply the population in a state by 10. And that will get you close to its debt.
    North Carolina has by far the best population to debt ratio. California iisnt even close to the worst.
    Last edited by ukpumacat; 09-04-2018 at 02:34 AM.

All states carry a debt load, kinda like people carry a mortgage. There is a site that breaks down debt nationally and by state. Here is California’s
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/state-deb...ebt-clock.html

And Illinois

And the worst I can see by number is New York

And for Kentucky..

I know that these clocks do not calculate the unfunded state pension liability that exists per state. Illinois for example has about 250 billion in unfunded pension liability and that is what is driving the states resources into the ground. Kentucky is fighting a similar battle with this too, but not in the numbers that Illinois is.
    I don’t know enough about California to comment on their situation.