Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

OT: # 29 -- OVER/UNDER 12 years old?

Europe-Africa Little League Team

Might also want to take a look at the "kid" to his right (photo left).

Re: OT: # 29 -- OVER/UNDER 12 years old?

Wow if he truly is 12, another Andre the giant!

I thought that was the coach!

You can get bitter or you can get better....I choose better

Super Kitten

That kid looks to 19 years old

I honestly despise little league on TV. Between the cheating on age and the 10 year old kids grabbing their crotches and spitting like "big leaguers", its a joke.

Ive know a number of 12 year olds in my line of work, Ive yet to see one that looked that mature. To the best of my recollection current Wildcat pitcher Ben Jordan wasnt quite 6-1 at 12, but facially he looked like a 12-year old.

the funny thing is his son is the teams bat boy, and his wife brings the post game snack
    Last edited by Doc; 08-18-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    the funny thing is his son is the teams bat boy, and his brings the post game snack
    Lol.

My wife took one look at the picture and said no way are those two players 12 years old. When I told her that they had to prove their age with birth certificates, she said they needed to change that rule rule. She said they needed to use the Paul Bunyon rule. I thought about it for a moment and had to ask her what that rule was. She said that the player had to be smaller than an ox.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 08-18-2018 at 07:40 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky. Hunter S Thompson

FWIW, I was one of the kids whose parents always had to bring a birth certificate to the game. I broke six feet when I was eleven, and was 6'2" by the time I was that kid's age. I wasn't as heavy -- I was probably about 180 pounds, but I was easy to spot in class pictures. For example:
    Sixth Grade.jpg

You've got a buddy in the hulking brute business,

Warren (the M is Mastodonic)

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    FWIW, I was one of the kids whose parents always had to bring a birth certificate to the game. I broke six feet when I was eleven, and was 6'2" by the time I was that kid's age. I wasn't as heavy -- I was probably about 180 pounds, but I was easy to spot in class pictures. For example:
    Sixth Grade.jpg

Yeh but the dude on the little league team looks closer to the guy in the suit in that pic
    Go Cats!

Sixth Grade.jpg

You look the same age as the other students, just standing on a footstool .

Sixth Grade.jpg

You look about 12 in that pic, a tall 12, but still 12. Tall 12 year olds still have a baby face look to them that disappears as they turn 13. I teach 7th grade, kids who are age appropriate have that baby face look in August, most lose it by the end of the year.

May be a clue that he just got an endorsement deal from Gillette.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    May be a clue that he just got an endorsement deal from Gillette.
    More like that Frank Thomas commercial for Nugenix

I would've put this team up against most others, and it was a little podunk team from Monroe, La., but this is what 12-year olds are supposed to look like. Coca-Cola went 20-0 that season, seriously challenged by only one team, who lost two games to them, 3-0 and 1-0. They had a pitcher who pitched for the Rangers that was pretty studly in his own right.

# 1 in the middle was Bubby Brister, who later was signed by Bear Bryant to play QB at Alabama. Instead, he signed a pro contract to play for the Detroit Tigers. Played one year in minor leagues, collected his bonus, and then ended up at Tulane and later NLU (now Louisiana-Monroe) to play QB. In those days you couldn't play in the SEC in any sport if you were professional in another. Of course, he later became a NFL QB, playing for the Steelers, the Broncos, and the Eagles (and maybe one more, but I can't recall now).

There are several players on that team that ended up playing college ball. The catcher on the team's son later played for LSU, and i'm sure some of the SEC baseball fans will remember Raph Rhymes, son of Bubba (Ray) Rhymes. Raph was a first-team All-American and led college baseball in hitting his junior year, named SEC Player of the year. Interestingly (maybe just to me only), he was also drafted by the Detroit Tigers in the 15th round.

We moved to Monroe in my brother's 12-year old year. In tryouts, there was a bidding contest for him, with the primary other team bidding more points than they had (it wasn't a draft like most do, but they accumulated points based on how many players you lost, and you could save them up, etc.)

Ray pitched the first game of the year for Coca-Cola, threw a no-hitter, and hit two home runs in the game. He tied for team-high in RBIs with Bubba Rhymes, and had a 0.00 season ERA. And he was their # 2 pitcher, behind Bubby Brister. Bubby gave up an earned run that year, maybe even two, but threw four no-hitters. Their # 3 pitcher was also a stud and pitched in college as well. Bubby played shortstop when he wasn't pitching, and man, could he field. Their entire lineup was studly.

Ray never pitched in college. At the time, we didn't know that much about recruiting and such, and the local school (NLU-now ULM) had a policy against signing local kids. He played a little semi-pro baseball, and in his final game, their team--the Twin City Phillies--played an exhibition game against NLU. Ray pitched the 7th, 8th and 9th inning, retiring all nine batters he faced, and in his last at-bat in competitive baseball, hit a home run. And then retired.

Anyway, going through some of Dad's old things and ran across that photo, which he had posted on his Facebook page, and thought about this thread. Sorry for the travel down memory lane.

My cousin was about 6' 220 and shaving in 4th grade. He ended up about 6' and 220.

D1 colleges were scouting him in peewee football. And he could crush a baseball for that age.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk