Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

OT: Duke Wins 96-60 Barrett with 35

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...nto-exhibition

Zion with 24.....this team only won like 12 games last year. The team that Duke played Wednesday beat them by nearly 30.

Peace

Richard (CW)

Hmm. Building confidence?

Re: OT: Duke Wins 96-60 Barrett with 35

Let me correct myself...they beat them by 20 and then 9. They won 13 games last year....roster is interesting. Here is game recap and their homepage.

Peace

Richard (CW)

https://varsityblues.ca/news/2018/8/...px?path=mbball

Quite the gushfest on ESPN with their head shill Bilas quivering with glee after every highlight.

I stumbled over it looking for baseball scores. I try to avoid ESPN at all costs, did UK get that kind of love during the Bahama trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Duke is both very short handed and playing really bad teams. So it’s hard to take away much good or bad.

That said, looking at their cumulative box score through 2 games, there are some things that don’t bode well for them.

1) Maybe most glaring is the complete lack of impact from Marques Bolden. No points, 6 total rebounds and only 2 FGA through 2 games. He appears to be a complete bust, and they have no frontcourt presence at all.

2) 3 point shooting. They’re only shooting 31% from 3 AND they’re taking a ton of them (61 through 2 games). And that’s with Zion going 3/6, which I’m confident won’t continue. They don’t shoot them well, and they appear to be settling for them against teams that shouldn’t be able to guard them. Combine that with the likely lack of production from bigs, and that’s potentially trouble against good teams.

3) FT shooting. Shooting 46.4% as a team. Zion has only shot 2 through 2 games. Barrett is getting to the line but is only 10/19.

4) Depth. They simply don’t have it. When they get Reddish and Jones back, they’ll have an incredibly talented core of 4, but they’re all freshmen, and that’s it.

Not saying I think they’ll stink. I think they’ll be a top 5 team all year. And when you have talents like Barrett and Zion, anything can happen. But they also have legitimate issues which may keep them from being elite.

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    Duke is both very short handed and playing really bad teams. So it’s hard to take away much good or bad.

That said, looking at their cumulative box score through 2 games, there are some things that don’t bode well for them.

1) Maybe most glaring is the complete lack of impact from Marques Bolden. No points, 6 total rebounds and only 2 FGA through 2 games. He appears to be a complete bust, and they have no frontcourt presence at all.

2) 3 point shooting. They’re only shooting 31% from 3 AND they’re taking a ton of them (61 through 2 games). And that’s with Zion going 3/6, which I’m confident won’t continue. They don’t shoot them well, and they appear to be settling for them against teams that shouldn’t be able to guard them. Combine that with the likely lack of production from bigs, and that’s potentially trouble against good teams.

3) FT shooting. Shooting 46.4% as a team. Zion has only shot 2 through 2 games. Barrett is getting to the line but is only 10/19.

4) Depth. They simply don’t have it. When they get Reddish and Jones back, they’ll have an incredibly talented core of 4, but they’re all freshmen, and that’s it.

Not saying I think they’ll stink. I think they’ll be a top 5 team all year. And when you have talents like Barrett and Zion, anything can happen. But they also have legitimate issues which may keep them from being elite.
    Good analysis, thanks. Fair.

Very fair and I agree! I do think they will develop some depth, but K never really likes to play more than 7. Drives Duke fans crazy, but that is how it is. He seems to never have to worry about foul trouble

Peace

Richard (CW)

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

I think Duke loses 2 in the OOC, 6-7 in the ACC, 1 in the ACC tourney, and early loss in the NCAAT for 10-11 losses

They will lose their top 5 players and will be worse next year

Darryl

And rat face suddenly developes back problems and bails.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Hmm. Building confidence?
    and character

You can get bitter or you can get better....I choose better

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    and character
    He makes me sick Doc....I just can't deal with him anymore. Did you happen to catch his comments on the proposed NCAA changes? He has been very outspoken and you can tell that he thinks only his opinion matters. It will hurt him much more than it hurts Cal IMO.

Peace

Richard (CW)

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    Very fair and I agree! I do think they will develop some depth, but K never really likes to play more than 7. Drives Duke fans crazy, but that is how it is. He seems to never have to worry about foul trouble

Peace

Richard (CW)

Agree. I think he’ll settle on 7 as well. The problem for them is, unless Bolden develops or someone has a surprise season like Jorts did in 2011, only 4 of those 7 players are going to be any good.

He makes me sick Doc....I just can't deal with him anymore. Did you happen to catch his comments on the proposed NCAA changes? He has been very outspoken and you can tell that he thinks only his opinion matters. It will hurt him much more than it hurts Cal IMO.

Peace

Richard (CW)
    I hate hypocrits....I need say nothing else

Same disclaimer: they’re really shorthanded, so it’s possible this will improve.

Duke finishes their 3 game Canada tour against terrible competition shooting 31.7% from 3. And they took 81 in 3 games. That’s an awful lot of 3’s for a team that doesn’t shoot them well and should get to the rim at will against that competition.

Barrett finishes with gaudy scoring numbers, but was only 6/21 from 3 (28.6%) and 16/30 from the FT line (53.3%). Also turned it over 4 times per game, although that may partially be a result of playing point because they’re shorthanded.

See nothing to quibble about with Zion’s performance. He did what he should do, dominated from 2 point range (40/62 for 64.5%) and on the glass. Minor quibble might be only getting to the line 12 times, but he’s gonna be a great college player if he sticks to his strengths.

Marques Bolden finishes the 3 game trip scoreless. Barring a complete turnaround, he’s a massive bust.

Only two players averaged more than 7 ppg.

Like I said, damn good team, but there are legitimate question marks.
    Last edited by dtalbersjr; 08-19-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Same disclaimer: they’re really shorthanded, so it’s possible this will improve.

Duke finishes their 3 game Canada tour against terrible competition shooting 31.7% from 3. And they took 81 in 3 games. That’s an awful lot of 3’s for a team that doesn’t shoot them well and should get to the rim at will against that competition.

Barrett finishes with gaudy scoring numbers, but was only 6/21 from 3 (28.6%) and 16/30 from the FT line (53.3%). Also turned it over 4 times per game, although that may partially be a result of playing point because they’re shorthanded.

See nothing to quibble about with Zion’s performance. He did what he should do, dominated from 2 point range (40/62 for 64.5%) and on the glass. Minor quibble might be only getting to the line 12 times, but he’s gonna be a great college player if he sticks to his strengths.

Marques Bolden finishes the 3 game trip scoreless. Barring a complete turnaround, he’s a massive bust.

That's shocking.

Krzyzewski thrives on short rosters, so this isn't anything new for him. I'm taking a wait-and-see approach til the two other guys return and then assess. If they can get solid contributions from four players, they'll be alright (in the sense of an excellent team).

I watched today's game again today....I am not going to lie folks, Zion is one of the freakiest players I have seen in college basketball in my 52 years. He is insane. He shot a jumper and missed and went and got it for the slam.....quickest second jump I have seen ever. Having said that, Duke has many holes that will need to be filled. There is no denying though that I am sorry to see that Zion is not wearing a UK uniform despite how good we are and regardless of who we may not have gotten if he had come.

Peace

Richard (CW)
    Last edited by Carolinawildcats; 08-19-2018 at 07:35 PM.

I watched today's game again today....I am not going to lie folks, Zion is one of the freakiest players I have seen in college basketball in my 52 years. He is insane. He shot a jumper and missed and went and got it for the slam.....quickest second jump I have seen ever. Having said that, Duke has many holes that will need to be filled. There is no denying though that I am sorry to see that Zion is not wearing a UK uniform despite how good we are and regardless of who we may not have gotten if he had come.

Peace

Richard (CW)

Yep. He’s a freak. But fortunately for us, I don’t they have enough else to win a title.

Once teams get Scouting reports, teams will slow him down..both he and barrett are amazing talents..like wow athletes..but like most have said, they are really bad 5 to 12 on their roster.. maybe they prove me wrong but I don’t think just those 4 can win make a run..they will win and like we all have said, those two alone will win them some big games.. we have seen this. They have no knock down three point guys.. there will be some games they struggle and some games they wow you

Inability to defend will bite them in March when the shots aren't falling.

They have tremendous talent, but even talent has a cold night every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    Once teams get Scouting reports, teams will slow him down..both he and barrett are amazing talents..like wow athletes..but like most have said, they are really bad 5 to 12 on their roster.. maybe they prove me wrong but I don’t think just those 4 can win make a run..they will win and like we all have said, those two alone will win them some big games.. we have seen this. They have no knock down three point guys.. there will be some games they struggle and some games they wow you

Exactly. Even a bad shooting team is gonna have a night when they go 11/21 from 3. If Duke does that, you’re probably gonna lose. But those won’t be common.

Unforgettable

I watched today's game again today....I am not going to lie folks, Zion is one of the freakiest players I have seen in college basketball in my 52 years. He is insane. He shot a jumper and missed and went and got it for the slam.....quickest second jump I have seen ever.
    I've not seen much of him and have been a bit reluctant to buy into the hype since I all hear is about how he dunks. DUH. He is 6'6" and very athletic - of course he can dunk. But I saw some highlights of that game (I'm pretty sure it was because I saw the missed jumper with the dunk put back you refer to) and he looked pretty good. He put the ball on the floor a couple of times and created a shot and seems to have a nice jumper. He may be the one guy we missed on that I will regret us missing on.
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance—it is the illusion of knowledge."
    - Daniel J. Boorstin

He was a perfect fit for cal and UK and bought into the Duke hype machine before Capel left. He will regret not going to UK.

This Duke team is unbalanced you have 3 guys with the same game really.
    No center and no bench not to mention no deadly shooters like K is used to.
    This team was recruited by capel as he left and was developed poorly.

To me, Reddish is the "one that got away." He is a 6'8 PG in a PF's body. He handles the ball incredibly well, and he shoots 50% from 3. His only apparent weakness is his motor, which often runs cool. Cal would have been the perfect coach for him, IMHO, but I think he was sold on Duke for a while.

I'll never understand why Coach K gets such a pass on his teams' consistent inability to play defense. He doesn't seem to teach it well. The 2015 championship resulted from his team finally buying in on defense and performing at a level that they hadn't achieved for the whole season up to that point. But most often, they lag on defense -- last year, dramatically having to play zone because Bagley and others couldn't play man-to-man against even middling competition -- and it bites them in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
    To me, Reddish is the "one that got away." He is a 6'8 PG in a PF's body. He handles the ball incredibly well, and he shoots 50% from 3. His only apparent weakness is his motor, which often runs cool. Cal would have been the perfect coach for him, IMHO, but I think he was sold on Duke for a while.

I'll never understand why Coach K gets such a pass on his teams' consistent inability to play defense. He doesn't seem to teach it well. The 2015 championship resulted from his team finally buying in on defense and performing at a level that they hadn't achieved for the whole season up to that point. But most often, they lag on defense -- last year, dramatically having to play zone because Bagley and others couldn't play man-to-man against even middling competition -- and it bites them in March.
    Not me...of the three he is the least desirable.

Their issue will be a lack of an inside game. They have 3 studs who all want to be 2 guards and zero inside. Had they developed Bolden then they would be fine but Krzyzewski has never been a developer of bigs. He gets good one and does not get them better. He has had successful ones but they came to him that way. Bagley, Carter, Okafor, etc all came in top 5 but finding one he developed will be a challange. He had the big from FL a few years back, did not do squat. Bolden has done nothing. Then there is the Plumlee's. And the doofus who cussed out the ref. Give him a good center and he won't develop them at all

As for the pass on defense, its because they slap the floor which looks intense and the media eats it up. It like the old Rasslin move where they pull down the shoulder strap on the tights. Its a good show
    Last edited by Doc; 08-20-2018 at 08:14 AM.

Slapping the floor IS good defense!

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Slapping the floor IS good defense!
    Absolutely!!!

But to answer the question another way, he gets a pass for not teaching defense because he wins. He is one of the best examples of Darryl's perfect coach, that is one that plays to outscore you rather than playing to ensure they are not outscored.

Of course, that may also be why so few Duke players have been massively successful in the NBA. Cal's guys are always complimented on how ready they are to play defense. MKG is going to make a pretty good career out of playing defense.
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance—it is the illusion of knowledge."
    - Daniel J. Boorstin

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Roy Williams is another coach who wants to outscore the opponent. Since 1990 he and K are the 2 most successful coaches in the game with 8 titles, 6 runners-up, and 18 Final 4s

I despise both of them. but it is hard to ignore the results

Darryl