Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Aretha Franklin dies at 76

Same day Elvis died. King of Rock and Queen of Soul.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Aretha Franklin dies at 76

RIP-e-c-t...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

Re: Aretha Franklin dies at 76

Aretha said her recordings here in Alabama helped her career take off. The Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section were prominant on her early recording of I Never loved a man the way I Love You. Her voice and their music were a fantastic pairing.

There is no other voice to compare. I especially loved her performance of the National Anthem on Thanksgiving Day several years ago in Detroit. It lasted almost 5 minutes and was straight from her soul. A national network had to delay their commercials while Aretha held court.
    Real Fan since 1958

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Fab Five

Thanks, Dan
    Real Fan since 1958

Watched a documentary of the making of the Blues brothers.

Among other very interesting tidbits was that they had a very very tough time doing the musical work with Aretha and James Brown esp., b/c they never really sung a song the same way twice so they couldn't possibly lip sync and then come back and overdub (or whatever they call it) in post production, which his how most every song is done in a movie due to the noise issues etc.

I took that as high praise, b/c they are true R&B/Soul singers, and when they sing that emotion and feeling is in every song and it's never going to be exactly the same b/c then it loses that soul. They transmitted their emotions as much as the notes and you can't just go in and fake that in a studio later.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KtBbyglq37E

She was in a class all by herself.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

I loved Aretha. Even before, but especially from the moment she sang "Spanish Harlem". She was the voice of soul.

“The more you share, the more you receive to share.”

And a special treat..(you will smile)
    Last edited by kingcat; 08-16-2018 at 07:52 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KtBbyglq37E

She was in a class all by herself.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Same day Elvis died. King of Rock and Queen of Soul.
    also the Sultan of Swat... Babe Ruth passed on this date
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Aretha said her recordings here in Alabama helped her career take off. The Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section were prominant on her early recording of I Never loved a man the way I Love You. Her voice and their music were a fantastic pairing.

There is no other voice to compare. I especially loved her performance of the National Anthem on Thanksgiving Day several years ago in Detroit. It lasted almost 5 minutes and was straight from her soul. A national network had to delay their commercials while Aretha held court.
    From the great Muscle Shoals documentary, how they caught lightning in a bottle with I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You.

https://youtu.be/RbA931UxX68?t=1m58s

RIP
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Fab Five

Brian, I clicked on your link and watched and listened to the next 5 or 6 videos. They ranged from Spooner Oldham’s induction into the Rock n Roll HOF to the MSRS hits with Wilson Pickett, Paul Simon and Bob Segar. It was about 35 minutes of the best music history ever. Made my day. Thank you.
    Real Fan since 1958

Bumping this. Funeral today, and she was definitely great, but I have to say I was struck that it was apparently a 6 hour event.

Six hours? Is that right? Even for a concert type event that's long. For a full event like a Glastonbury type show sure, but I hope people got bathroom breaks in there somewhere.

Sounds like quite a show though, huge names at it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Bumping this. Funeral today, and she was definitely great, but I have to say I was struck that it was apparently a 6 hour event.

Six hours? Is that right? Even for a concert type event that's long. For a full event like a Glastonbury type show sure, but I hope people got bathroom breaks in there somewhere.

Sounds like quite a show though, huge names at it.
    That is a bit longer than usual, but many African American churches have funeral services that last several hours. I have been to several such funerals. I would say the music especially is very therapeutic to a grieving family. Sheepishly, I have to admit I watched all of Whitney Houston's funeral and it lasted about 3 hours.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    That is a bit longer than usual, but many African American churches have funeral services that last several hours. I have been to several such funerals. I would say the music especially is very therapeutic to a grieving family. Sheepishly, I have to admit I watched all of Whitney Houston's funeral and it lasted about 3 hours.
    interesting. Well this is one area where I guess I'll have to walk a different path. I prefer the direction funerals are going with those i attend, where we do maybe an hour total then go to a bar and do a proper wake.

I have specified to not spend on my funeral. Cremate me and spend the extra money on an open bar. Seriously, come and praise me, mourn me, curse me, just have a drink and do whatever. Everyone dies, grab some happy time when you can.

When I was a kid a proper Southern funeral took 3-4 days. 3 days of going to the funeral home for visitation, then a funeral and burial. People coming by the house, more food there than you'd need if the 101st Airborne dropped by for the weekend.