Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Unforgettable
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the South Bank of the Cahaba River
    Posts
    11,163

    After 66 Years a Kentuckian Comes Home

    One of the first UN soldiers whose remains were returned by the North Koreans was a Kentuckian. He is now home. RIP may his service always be respected and honored.

    https://www.newschannel5.com/news/re...ng-to-kentucky
    Real Fan since 1958

  2. #2
    One and Done
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    513

    Re: After 66 Years a Kentuckian Comes Home

    May he finally rest in peace.

  3. #3

    Re: After 66 Years a Kentuckian Comes Home

    May God grant the family the peace they deserve with his return.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

  4. #4

    Re: After 66 Years a Kentuckian Comes Home

    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    May God grant the family the peace they deserve with his return.
    Amen

  5. #5

    Re: After 66 Years a Kentuckian Comes Home

    A few years ago, I met a man whose brother went missing in Korea. Every year he attends a Veterans Day Ceremony thst go to, and he sits at the front of the ceremony, holding the POW/MIA flag. It really is more meaningful seeing him holding that flag and knowing what it truly means to him than just seeing the flag. It taught me how personal it is more than any mere photo or video can. I’m hoping that his brother’s remains are found and returned.
    Last edited by UKFlounder; 08-16-2018 at 09:21 AM.

  6. #6

    Re: After 66 Years a Kentuckian Comes Home

    Fantastic story. Thanks for sharing.

    My grandfather was a pilot and was killed in Korea. My uncle was 5, my Mom was 3 and my aunt wasn't even 1 when he died. He never even got to see my aunt. My grandmother was never interested in looking back much, but she passed away 5 years ago and my Mom and aunt have become interested in finding out what they can. Last week they went to DC for a convention of families of soldiers who died in Korea and said it was incredibly moving and rewarding. They have also submitted DNA to be matched against any remains that have been returned. They found it a little eerie to be in DC for that event at the same time N Korea was returning more remains. I don't think they're desperate to know, but I know it would mean a lot to them if his remains could be identified and he could be given a funeral at Arlington.

  7. #7
    Fiddlin' Five
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Moore Haven, FL
    Posts
    7,003

    Re: After 66 Years a Kentuckian Comes Home

    R.I.P. Soldier!

  8. #8

    Re: After 66 Years a Kentuckian Comes Home

    Welcome home Sir!

    “Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

  9. #9
    Unforgettable
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the South Bank of the Cahaba River
    Posts
    11,163

    Re: After 66 Years a Kentuckian Comes Home

    Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    Fantastic story. Thanks for sharing.

    My grandfather was a pilot and was killed in Korea. My uncle was 5, my Mom was 3 and my aunt wasn't even 1 when he died. He never even got to see my aunt. My grandmother was never interested in looking back much, but she passed away 5 years ago and my Mom and aunt have become interested in finding out what they can. Last week they went to DC for a convention of families of soldiers who died in Korea and said it was incredibly moving and rewarding. They have also submitted DNA to be matched against any remains that have been returned. They found it a little eerie to be in DC for that event at the same time N Korea was returning more remains. I don't think they're desperate to know, but I know it would mean a lot to them if his remains could be identified and he could be given a funeral at Arlington.
    I wish your mom and aunt the very best. The DNA testing will be the key in bringing them the closure they seek. Let's hope they learn something in the next year or two. Good Luck!
    Real Fan since 1958

  10. #10
    Bombino
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Russell Springs, KY
    Posts
    1,893

    Re: After 66 Years a Kentuckian Comes Home

    Two of my classmates in the Air force were shot down in Vietnam in 1972. Capt Robin Gatwood was aboard a EB-66 and was shot down on his first mission. His body never recovered. A movie starring Gene Hackman, BAT 21, was made about the rescue of the only surviving crew member. My other classmate, Capt Fran Townsend, was shot down in his RF-4C, his memorial service in Texas was without a body. However, 30 years later his crash site was identified, his dog tags survived and a DNA match was made on a few bone fragments that were returned home to Rusk, Texas for burial. I think often of their supreme sacrifice 46 years ago. God Bless and comfort the families of all these fallen heroes.

  11. #11
    Unforgettable
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the South Bank of the Cahaba River
    Posts
    11,163

    Re: After 66 Years a Kentuckian Comes Home

    Thanks LakeCat for remembering them and sharing their story. It's in this manner that those who never fought and who soak up the benefits of the freedom they provided, can appreciate what the ultimate sacrifice really is. I thank God for all those who gave up their lives for our right to exercise the freedoms we enjoy. Most living today need to view the Bill of Rights as a bill of privileges built on their lives and not a bill of entitlements used to disgrace their service.
    Real Fan since 1958

  12. #12
    Bombino
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Russell Springs, KY
    Posts
    1,893

    Re: After 66 Years a Kentuckian Comes Home

    Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Thanks LakeCat for remembering them and sharing their story. It's in this manner that those who never fought and who soak up the benefits of the freedom they provided, can appreciate what the ultimate sacrifice really is. I thank God for all those who gave up their lives for our right to exercise the freedoms we enjoy. Most living today need to view the Bill of Rights as a bill of privileges built on their lives and not a bill of entitlements used to disgrace their service.
    You are welcome Mick. This NFL kneeling crap really burns me up. They do absolutely nothing on their own time to promote justice or whatever their gripe is and I think of the men whose remains are on foreign soil never recovered who fought for their freedoms. Now I hear the latest claim from the left is the National Anthem is racist. Lord help us.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •