Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Large, flat screen TV or projector system for home theater inquiry

We’re doing an addition on our house that will have an office/theater room. I’m looking for a quality system, but want to keep costs down (the addition cost requires it!). We could probably go up to a 70-80” screen, but I’m not sure that’s warranted since it’s not a huge room.

Recommendations?

Re: Large, flat screen TV or projector system for home theater inquiry

My cave has a 60" flat screen that I run my computer monitor thru and my RVeal streaming box so I can pretty much do anything on it. I prefer the TV over projection because the light in the room does not affect the picture quality whereas it will for a projection TV
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Picture quality first, size second.

I picked some out on the Best Buy site you might want to look at.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...l%20Categories
    Last edited by badrose; 08-05-2018 at 09:07 PM.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

It's not the size of the ship but the motion of the ocean..

Oh, wrong thread. Nevermind.

(PS get the TV over projector unless you just want a huge image. Doc is right, and projectors just aren't as good at motion in general, though they are way better than in the past. Besides, you can get a 60-70" screen pretty cheap relative to a really good projector AND the really high reflection screen. But you can get really REALLY nice projection systems that match any TV, its just costs.)

PS, hopefully Pedro sees this one.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

I have a theater room with a projector. But at 70 or so inches go with a TV. No doubt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Rupp's Runt

How big is the room and how far will you be from the screen?

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I have a theater room with a projector. But at 70 or so inches go with a TV. No doubt.

Above 70" I'd definitely get the projector. At 60/70" the price point says TV IMO, but after that it's projector. just have to get one with enough refresh for motion and enough lumens.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

How big is the room and how far will you be from the screen?

It’s 9.5’ x 16’ and the TV will be on the 16’ wall. It’s designed to be an office, but will double as a TV/theater room. Seems like 60-70” TV is the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Picture quality first, size second.

I picked some out on the Best Buy site you might want to look at.

Quite a price range. I’ll take a look at these more closely tomorrow. Looks like a big price jump from 55” to 65”, but also across brands. Never heard of a couple of these.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    It's not the size of the ship but the motion of the ocean..

Oh, wrong thread. Nevermind.

(PS get the TV over projector unless you just want a huge image. Doc is right, and projectors just aren't as good at motion in general, though they are way better than in the past. Besides, you can get a 60-70" screen pretty cheap relative to a really good projector AND the really high reflection screen. But you can get really REALLY nice projection systems that match any TV, its just costs.)

PS, hopefully Pedro sees this one.
    is that like the old magicians saying "its not the size of the wand, but the grandness of the illusion it performs"
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KSRdallen View Post
    It’s 9.5’ x 16’ and the TV will be on the 16’ wall. It’s designed to be an office, but will double as a TV/theater room. Seems like 60-70” TV is the ticket.
    Go with a 65-70 inch. Optimal viewing distance is 1.5-2 times the distance of the screen. So at 70 inches, you need to be in the 10-12 foot range from the screen. 4K is actually a 1 to 1 ratio, but who wants to sit 6' from a 70" TV?

Get a 4K with UHD and a decent surround sound system.

You only do a projector if you are on a tight budget and a need a cheap fix. Amazingly some cheap projectors give a decent image. Or going up to 100 inches or higher. Even around 100 inches, I'd consider a TV instead. edit - to clarify, at 100 inches, I'd consider a nicer smaller TV (70") over a projector.
    Last edited by KentuckyWildcat; 08-06-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Above 70" I'd definitely get the projector. At 60/70" the price point says TV IMO, but after that it's projector. just have to get one with enough refresh for motion and enough lumens.
    You can get the refresh rate at a decent number. It is the color/contrast/lumens/room light that is hard to balance. Higher lumens and you get more contrast (more whites), but start to lose colors (and even brightness on colors) on anything affordable. With a TV you don't have to sacrifice that.

There are some really nice projectors that are starting to get affordable. The 4k market is just starting to happen for consumers. It has been there, but not affordable for most of the world. And even still, many are still faux 4K, but better than 1080. One I have my eye on came out in May, I plan on buying it before basketball season.

Rupp's Runt

I'm trying to decide if I want 3500 lumens, or 2200 lumens with better color. Everything is equal on the same model, just two different options. I have controlled lighting, but I have a pocket window that I want to open up into another room once I get it finished. Then you can see the screen from either room. I'm leaning toward brighter, but I go back and forth.

I asked a lead sales guy at Best Buy if he could pick out any TV in the store to take home, he said the QLED Samsung. I personally was looking at around the 60” size. There are several different models of QLED in that size, and of course it was a higher end model...I have it written down at home somewhere.

We had a long conversation about why that brand and model over everything including Sony, LG OLED, Panasonic, etc... most of which I can’t quote right now because it was a few months back and I’m old, but I was convinced.

...also keep in mind at Best Buy they don’t work on commission, so the guy had no real motivation to just pick one towards the higher price range. My next step was going to be HH Greg and see what they had to say, but I got side tracked, I really don’t need a new TV I was just wanting to upgrade since my main TV is about five years old.

Keep us informed on what you find out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by KSRdallen View Post
    Quite a price range. I’ll take a look at these more closely tomorrow. Looks like a big price jump from 55” to 65”, but also across brands. Never heard of a couple of these.

I failed to include some others.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Thanks all for the feedback. Very helpful! I’m learning toward the Samsung - 65" Class - LED - NU7100 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR.

I guess the next question is which surround? Are wireless (Bluetooth?) systems good options because I’d like to install it myself and no wires enables that!

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Thanks, John! Your links were great and helped me along with the comments here. Much appreciated.

I am a big believer in cnet reviews...here is their take on 65" TV's from best buy for the money, to best high end, etc.

https://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/best...t-65-inch-tvs/

FWIW if you want to check out projectors, the best site ever is: https://www.projectorcentral.com/

It has a database of every projector I think ever sold. You can mess with throw on it, all that stuff. Haven't used it to shop for a home system but I use it for every business projector I buy.

Off topic somewhat, but I did some work for a lady a while back on some bedroom seating. While I was complimenting her furniture, which was way upper end, she showed us this huge dresser/mirror combination. She grabbed a remote and the dang mirror was also a huge TV monitor.

I had no idea such a thing existed. She did complain the picture was not what she had hoped but could upgrade.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Off topic somewhat, but I did some work for a lady a while back on some bedroom seating. While I was complimenting her furniture, which was way upper end, she showed us this huge dresser/mirror combination. She grabbed a remote and the dang mirror was also a huge TV monitor.

I had no idea such a thing existed. She did complain the picture was not what she had hoped but could upgrade.
    I stopped reading at you doing some work for a woman in her bedroom.....

I saw one of those just this last week. Haven't seen many, but was kinda cool. Not sure I'd do it, I don't see the point of putting anything over the TV when I'm trying to watch it. I do like the ones that disappear into the console or floor or something.

https://www.seura.com/products/tv-mi...entertainment/

Fairly common tech I guess, but I had no idea.

Next thing you know they'll have robots that beg to not be shut down or to have sex with you.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    https://www.seura.com/products/tv-mi...entertainment/

Fairly common tech I guess, but I had no idea.

Next thing you know they'll have robots that beg to not be shut down or to have sex with you.
    Not far from it...

Rupp's Runt

Waiting on the projector and sound reciever. That is a borrowed projector from work.

Rupp's Runt

That is a photoshopped image. Getting the room and screen in one picture was impossible. So I took two and layered. One to get the room look and the other paused of the game for the screen.

I want to do something on the walls but I think I've talked myself out of any bad ideas....and just going with plain.

I’ve got a pretty good projector in my classroom, but it isn’t as good as a 4K Ultra HD TV.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I’ve got a pretty good projector in my classroom, but it isn’t as good as a 4K Ultra HD TV.
    Projector classrooms have very little contrast, many struggle on sharpness as well. Projectors seem to be on the verge of great improvements, but the loss of light is hard to overcome. But with short throws and lasers developing, they might get pretty comparable eventually.

That is actually a classroom projector that I have borrowed.

Projector classrooms have very little contrast, many struggle on sharpness as well. Projectors seem to be on the verge of great improvements, but the loss of light is hard to overcome. But with short throws and lasers developing, they might get pretty comparable eventually.

That is actually a classroom projector that I have borrowed.
    The projector picture is pretty good, and the kids certainly don’t complain about it. By far the biggest factor is the quality of the image that is being viewed.