Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Volcano vs Hurricane

This could get interesting, might get real steamy in Hawaii.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...xYB?li=BBnbfcL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Volcano vs Hurricane

Great, my parents are there. I didn't realize they had s storm headed that way too.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

The biggest danger would be the potential lahar. jmho
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

seeya
    dan

This could be fun.

Johnny Carson once made a great joke about how things were getting better weather wise in California b/c the mudslides were putting out the forest fires. Same idea I think.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

What's next? A sharknado springs up maybe?

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Currently looks like its going to go south of the island, which is good, but still should get a good smack. My folks live just above Kona and face west (Kona is on the west side) so should be the majority of it. Their rental townhouse is actually on the ocean, about 20 feet up a cliff so odds are it would get a drenching from the surf but probably not flooded. Their house is way up the mountain, probably 2,000 feet above sea level so odds are just wind. However I doubt they have hurricane shutters, etc. I believe the last hurricane that hit the big island was almost 150 years ago.
    Last edited by Doc; 08-07-2018 at 11:14 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Volcano vs Hurricane

One of the questions baffling scientist was how the actual low pressure would affect the lava flow. Or I guess more specifically the rate at which it erupts.

Obviously the heavy rain will have some sort of affect on the lava and the flow, definitely make for a bunch of steam, heavy noxious fumes and who knows what else...

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    One of the questions baffling scientist was how the actual low pressure would affect the lava flow. Or I guess more specifically the rate at which it erupts.

Obviously the heavy rain will have some sort of affect on the lava and the flow, definitely make for a bunch of steam, heavy noxious fumes and who knows what else...

I suspect it will have little to no effect. The amount of energy in a volcano is immense, and its underground. I can't see a hurricane, which will run by the island in 48 hrs, having any significant effect.

Volcano vs Hurricane

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I suspect it will have little to no effect. The amount of energy in a volcano is immense, and its underground. I can't see a hurricane, which will run by the island in 48 hrs, having any significant effect.
    I agree, I think it’ll just be really steamy for a bit.... make for some interesting lava flow patterns.

The big island might take on the appearance of Skull Island, shrouded in fog on the volcano side.

Last edited by blueboss; 08-06-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Volcano vs Hurricane

Just saw the latest model, Hector is going to skirt well off to the south of the big island.

Surfs up...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    This. The change in pressure required to counter the pressure of a volcano would be enough to crush things. I imagine every living thing would be toast long before you could measure how much it matters to a volcano. After all they erupt constantly on the ocean floor under immense pressure. I bet it has little or any real effect even in that situation, but certainly not from something as mild as a storm.

Sounds like some "scientists" who want funds to go spend a few months in Hawaii..
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

F6 Lavanado!

Which are real things, other than the F6 part.
    Last edited by kingcat; 08-06-2018 at 08:32 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan

Volcano vs Hurricane

Looks like they’re in for a bumpy ride...

Volcano vs Hurricane

Just saw where Lane is forecast to drop from a cat 5 to a cat 2 as it skirts just to the south of the big island. Still expected to dump 20” of rain, high storm surge, and 70 mph winds.

FYI, the volcano is no longer flowing. The last storm took all the vog out and cleared the air. My mom sent me an e-mail last week noting how much better the air was. Fortunately they left on Friday for Thailand so they won't be there for this storm.

The biggest concern though is the development of a "sharknado"...or would it be a "Sharkicane"
    Last edited by Doc; 08-22-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Volcano vs Hurricane

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmac...r-or-on-pause/

seeya
    dan

Volcano vs Hurricane

Looks a bit soggy in paradise. They’re in for a rough go the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by dan_bgblue; 08-25-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    seeya
    dan