Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Where is the least expensive state you can buy alcohol?

Where is the least expensive state you can buy alcohol?

I spent the weekend in New Orleans last weekend, and while I was in a grocery store, remember just how ridiculously low their prices are on alcohol. Of course, I live in Alabama, where the sin tax on alcohol rules and alcohol is nearly prohibitively expensive.

Is the least expensive state in the country Louisiana on purchasing alcohol, or are there others that are that dirt cheap as well, or more?

Re: Where is the least expensive state you can buy alcohol?

Kentucky did have license quotas on hard booze for sales, ABC was proposing this year to scrap them, not sure what happened. Kentucky is so damned confused IMO, we are one of the world's largest suppliers of booze all by ourselves, yet half the state is dry and we have layer upon layer of law restricting sales in various ways.

Lexington got rid of sunday blue laws, that took decades and there are still some vestiges left, and we have all kinds of rules to protect the liquor distributing companies, but those are just to prevent free market competition and make sure the distributors get a taste of all booze sales in this state. That's just your normal government corruption at work, but it holds the price up quite a bit higher than it would be otherwise, esp. for restaurant wine sales.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

It is very expensive down here in Florida. Most of that expense is local government taxes, and of course, Tallahassee has to have its beak wetted too.

Business Insider article from 2013....State Spirits Excite Tax Rates, Dollars Per Gallon.

Alabama - $18.24 per gallon. Louisiana - $2.50.

At least we're not Washington state--$35.22? Are you kidding?

This does not include any local excise taxes.

I'm moving to New Amp-shure
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

They should include that in the COLA factor for the "best states to retire...."

Anyway, you can see why when we go to Georgia or Florida, we usually try to stock up on alcohol. Louisiana is a better choice, though, and I didn't get anything this trip. Dumb, because I was in a store and saw it and had a moment, but just had other things on my mind.