Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Security Clearances

Security Clearances

Why on earth should guys like Clapper and Brennen retain their security clearances? That is downright stupid, get their tentacles out of the deep state.

Re: Security Clearances

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Why on earth should guys like Clapper and Brennen retain their security clearances? That is downright stupid, get their tentacles out of the deep state.
    Hillary probably still has hers.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Hillary probably still has hers.
    she should have had it striped when they found she had a private server...and thrown in jail
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

My understanding is that all these guys tend to keep their clearances, or many of them, and the idea is they can be called back on issues with which they might have knowledge and insight.

IMO the bigger truth is this is all just a country club of elites, and they don't want their membership revoked. I would love to know how often a guy who is out of the position for 1,2,3+ years really is called back and provides real help on an intelligence matter. Many who still have them weren't really charged with analysis or anything like that at all, but had clearance b/c they needed to be briefed on issues.

I bet it's mostly just another example of the Washington club set. the sure test is how many "grunts" in the government and civilian sector keep their clearances once they move on from their jobs.

that's why the Beltway folks and media all lost their minds over the idea. If Trump can take away that little club perk he could go after others. That whole group is one very egocentric and self absorbed country club set (and I've been to their clubs in fact), they don't want someone coming in messing up their tee times and perks, and they REALLY don't want the "wrong sort" in their club.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

It’s probably a good idea for them to keep that clearance for a certain “limited” time.
    However, the minute they start to talk to the media and spout political things, it’s time for it to go.
    I get why he did it and he has good reason to do so IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    It’s probably a good idea for them to keep that clearance for a certain “limited” time.
    However, the minute they start to talk to the media and spout political things, it’s time for it to go.
    I get why he did it and he has good reason to do so IMO.
    Once they're on the payroll of a media company IMO that's very questionable. It would be the same if they were a general and then retired and got on a defense contractor board and still had that access.

These guys like Brennan are using their past appointment to come off as somehow non-partisan, which is laughable for either side to do, and I see no reason why at this point anyone who becomes a party spokesman needs to maintain their clearance.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 07-25-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Brennan is the guy that told Congress that the dossier wasn’t used for the FISA order. Clapper is the guy that leaked the dossier to Harry Reid. Those types of actions prove they aren’t worthy of a security clearance.

Freshman

So, I understand why folks get their panties in a wad about held over clearances, this happens all the time - incase they are re-employed. Doesn’t make it right in individual cases but it is the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by dethbylt View Post
    So, I understand why folks get their panties in a wad about held over clearances, this happens all the time - incase they are re-employed. Doesn’t make it right in individual cases but it is the norm.
    It is the norm, no doubt. I just think we need to change it so they absolutely no longer have access to intelligence. I don't know if they do now, but it seems awfully murky. There's too much potential for partisan abuse by either side.

I'm especially concerned that people like Brennan (and GOP side has done this too) act as if they are somehow neutral civil servant experts when of course they were political appointees and clearly have a political iron in the fire. They have a ton of contacts and then use that position for political ends, and IMO it not just misleads people but it undermines those institutions b/c now these people are clearly putting their irons in the fire as well while still in supposedly civil service positions.

Post gov't employees keep their clearances so the gov't can institute regulations and controls for violations of the clearances if the people decide to open their mouths. These former employees don't have access to current information but are required to still follow the rules that pertain to their current clearance level. Remove the clearance those restrictions are now gone.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Post gov't employees keep their clearances so the gov't can institute regulations and controls for violations of the clearances if the people decide to open their mouths. These former employees don't have access to current information but are required to still follow the rules that pertain to their current clearance level. Remove the clearance those restrictions are now gone.
    That's what I've seen elsewhere, and it makes sense, just so long as they don't have further access.

They passed tighter exit rules for administration employees years ago, like leaving the Pentagon and then going to work at a contractor for a nice cushy salary after years of awarding contracts, but they need to do more to limit congressional staffing as well. Those guys all turn into lobbyists at some point too.

It's a corrupt mess in may ways. Way too much influence peddling, and too much politics getting into the bureaucracy.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Tthey need to do more to limit congressional staffing as well. Those guys all turn into lobbyists at some point too.
    It is not so much that they turn into lobbyists it is more like a revolving door. Better yet chameleons who change color based on the environment.

A lot of legislation is written on K Street by the lobbyists themselves. So when member of Congress ask how do I vote on a bill, they have never read it, seen it or even discussed it.

Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    It is not so much that they turn into lobbyists it is more like a revolving door. Better yet chameleons who change color based on the environment.

A lot of legislation is written on K Street by the lobbyists themselves. So when member of Congress ask how do I vote on a bill, they have never read it, seen it or even discussed it.

Yuck.
    Agree 100%.