Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

C.J. Conrad Named to John Mackey Award Preseason Watch List

UK Media Relations

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky senior C.J. Conrad has been named to the 2018 John Mackey Award Preseason Watch List for the second consecutive season, it was announced today. The Mackey Award recognizes the most outstanding tight end in college football.

Conrad, who hails from LaGrange, Ohio, is considered one of the most gifted tight ends in the country, having averaged a touchdown every five times he has caught a pass in his career. In 2017, Conrad ended the season ranking second on the team with 286 receiving yards on 16 catches to go along with a team-high four touchdowns despite his season ending prematurely on Nov. 18 due to a foot injury. His 17.9 yards per catch average ranked second on the team.

In the first two games of the 2017 season, he had a receiving TD, becoming the first UK tight end with a receiving touchdown in consecutive games since Jacob Tamme on Nov. 24 and Dec. 31, 2007. In his three-year career, Conrad has totaled 697 receiving yards with nine scores.

The Mackey Award honors National Football League Hall of Fame tight end John Mackey, considered the best to have played the position. Presented since 2000, three players who eventually won Super Bowl rings were selected as the winner of the award. The recipient is selected by a vote of the John Mackey Award Selection Committee and will be announced on December 5 as part of the Home Depot College Football Awards.

Conrad also has been named to Athlon Sports’ preseason All-Southeastern Conference teams as the second-team tight end, as well as nominated for the 2018 Allstate AFCA (American Football Coaches Association) Good Works Team®, which is the top college football honor for recognizing outstanding community service achievements.

Re: C.J. Conrad Named to John Mackey Award Preseason Watch List

Hope he remains healthy

Fiddlin' Five

It's nice that he is mentioned in that regard, but he won't win that award. To win that award he has to have passes thrown to him and he has to catch them.
    He will catch most of what is thrown to him, but rest assured the O-coordinator will forget all about Conrad and any other TE's we have after the half point of then season. Just like they have done since Stoops arrived @ Kentucky.

Hope Gran can really get him into the offense this year as he is a nice weapon.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    It's nice that he is mentioned in that regard, but he won't win that award. To win that award he has to have passes thrown to him and he has to catch them.
    He will catch most of what is thrown to him, but rest assured the O-coordinator will forget all about Conrad and any other TE's we have after the half point of then season. Just like they have done since Stoops arrived @ Kentucky.
    Pretty much. If I'm not mistaken there were stretches of like 3 or 4 games where they didn't even throw him the ball, not even once. He's handled it well, because it's certainly obvious our staff has totally misused his talent.

Can someone forward this to the staff so they think about using him? They didn't get the press release last year.

He's one of the best skill players on the offense and he might as well go have a hot dog and take a seat in the stands.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

He's one of the best skill players on the offense and he might as well go have a hot dog and take a seat in the stands.
    Can't do that as would be sorely missed as the 3rd OT blocking for the running game.
    seeya
    dan

“I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.” Hunter S Thompson

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Hope Gran can really get him into the offense this year as he is a nice weapon.
    He will, the first couple of games, but after that they'll treat him like he has the plague, just like they always do.

Conrad has competition for the award in state at WKU.

https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/w...57915863d.html
    seeya
    dan

“I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.” Hunter S Thompson

I hope he is an intricate part of the offense and believe he will be. Our passing offense was overall anemic last year, especially after we got into SEC play.

Unitas to Mackey over the middle! My team, Baltimore Colts, gone forever.

My team as well, even when Earl Morral was tossing the ball around.
    seeya
    dan

How about Raymond Berry aND Allen "The Horse" Ameche

Parker, Marchetti, Braase, Curtis, Moore, Matte, Orr...

Fiddlin' Five

Darn! Some of you guys are going way back into ancient Colts history.
    I was just a kid then, but I certainly remember watching Unitas to Mackey, and Morrall to Mackey too!

I was, and still am, a die hard Green Bay Packers fan. Baltimore & Green Bay played some great football back then!

Took me years not to hate the Packers for the missed field goal that was called good. Tom Matte at QB game. 1965 I helieve.

Fiddlin' Five

I honestly don't recall that one, but I was the happiest kid in the world when Bart Starr scored on that QB sneak to beat those stinking Dallas Cowboys on the "Frozen Tundra" enroute to Super Bowl I against Kansas City.

I cannot even imagine playing football in sub-zero weather like that. Those were real tough guys way back then. 😉