Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Media picks Kentucky 5th in SEC East

One first place vote.

EASTERN DIVISION (1st Place votes in parenthesis)

Georgia (271) 1977

South Carolina (8) 1535

Florida (4) 1441

Missouri 1057

Kentucky (1) 874

Tennessee (1) 704

Vanderbilt 392

WESTERN DIVISION (1st Place votes in parenthesis)

Alabama (263) 1971

Auburn (19) 1664

Mississippi State (2) 1239

Texas A&M 1091

LSU 1025

Ole Miss 578

Arkansas 412

Re: Media picks Kentucky 5th in SEC East

Last year’s standings in the east:

Georgia
    South Carolina
    Kentucky
    Missouri
    Florida
    Vandy
    Tennessee

So basically the only teams they have moving up or down more than one spot are Florida and UK. I’m not sure why they’re giving UF so much more love than Tennessee, but they pretty much put UK in the same place every year regardless of performance on the field except they did put UT below us this year. It makes me laugh every year lol.
    Don't panic

I want to know who voted UK (or UT for that matter) first. 5th may be low, but Georgia is #1.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Last year’s standings in the east:

Georgia
    South Carolina
    Kentucky
    Missouri
    Florida
    Vandy
    Tennessee

So basically the only teams they have moving up or down more than one spot are Florida and UK. I’m not sure why they’re giving UF so much more love than Tennessee, but they pretty much put UK in the same place every year regardless of performance on the field except they did put UT below us this year. It makes me laugh every year lol.
    Maybe because Florida has a good football coach now? Which we will see in full force and effect on September 8, 2018 when Kentucky visits the Swamp to take its usual beatdown from Florida.
    I've been talking to some of these Gator fans around here, and every last one of them is practically salivating at the prospects for their team for this season.
    Between the corrupt and crooked SEC referees to the ineptitude of our own coaching staff, I'll be surprised if we're still in the game after halftime. But that's just me thinking out loud. 😠

They took the easy, no imagination approach per usual. Beaten SC 4 straight and Mizzou 2 straightm

The one that has me scratching my head is South Carolina. I think they take a big step back this year.
    Don't panic

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    They took the easy, no imagination approach per usual. Beaten SC 4 straight and Mizzou 2 straightm
    Perhaps because USC finished ahead of us in the standings last season and they both finished playing better than us.

We get the Gators this time. In the swamp.

Super Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    USC finished ahead of last year despite us beating them. Missouri was trending in the right direction at the end of year with the Qb returning if I am not mistaken.

UK always seem to get worse as season goes on under Stoops.

Hope we improve but I see their logic

I disagree with picking South Carolina ahead of us, but I at least understand it. Don't agree, but there's an argument to be made.

But picking Mizzou ahead of us, and by a fairly significant margin, is just inexplicable IMO.

Their schedule during their “strong finish” was complete garbage. They played Idaho, UConn, Florida the first game after McElwain was canned, UT, Vanderbilt and Arkansas. Those teams were a combined 24-47 and 5-36 in the SEC.

Granted, they destroyed those teams, but I just don't think they're any good. They didn't beat a team with a winning record, and really didn't beat a team with a pulse.

Having a good QB is a BIG plus for them. But it's not enough IMO. Especially when you consider they lost Heupel and replaced him with Derek Dooley. That’s a massive downgrade.

Last year our defense weakened down the stretch, hopefully our talent and depth have improved. Also we were very one dimensional on offense. Hopefully we have a healthy QB that provides a passing option

They might also be looking at west division opponents...we get Miss. St. and play at aTm. SoCar gets aTm at home and trades MSU for a game at Ole Miss. But then again they’re sportswriters; I might be expecting a bit much out of them.

As for S. Carolina, they get Samuel trying to come back from that broken leg and (imo) overrated QB Bentley back, but will they have a running game this year? Will they be able to stop anyone’s rushing attack? They did beat the bad teams on their schedule last year though, something UK couldn’t do. It just seems to me like a lot of their hype is based on beating Michigan in the Outback Bowl vs. another overrated coach.

Missouri is another team that looks good until you look at who they actually beat. They started last year 1-5 before finishing the regular season on a 6 game tear. Those 6 wins were against Idaho, UConn, three SEC teams firing coaches, and Vandy. At least SC and Mizzou took care of business though, wheareas we screwed the pooch against UF and should have beaten Ole Miss. If we had finished 9-3 instead of 7-5 and then won our bowl game we would be the sexy pick for second in the east. Nah we’d probably be picked 4th instead of 5th hahahaha
    Don't panic

I’m kind of surprised that none of the media types have picked up on this...well not really but it’s something that gives me hope for this season...these are UK’s finish in the SEC east during Mark Stoops’ tenure:

2013 7th
    2014 6th
    2015 5th
    2016 4th
    2017 3rd

If that doesn’t give you hope, nothing will.
    Don't panic

Iím kind of surprised that none of the media types have picked up on this...well not really but itís something that gives me hope for this season...these are UKís finish in the SEC east during Mark Stoopsí tenure:

2013 7th
    2014 6th
    2015 5th
    2016 4th
    2017 3rd

If that doesnít give you hope, nothing will.
    Very cool to pick up on that.

Iím kind of surprised that none of the media types have picked up on this...well not really but itís something that gives me hope for this season...these are UKís finish in the SEC east during Mark Stoopsí tenure:

2013 7th
    2014 6th
    2015 5th
    2016 4th
    2017 3rd

If that doesnít give you hope, nothing will.
    One could also reasonably assert that during that period, the SEC East has gotten significantly worse, thus largely contributing to the improvement in UK's standing. We'll see if the worm has turned and the trend begins to reverse.

Super Kitten

They might also be looking at west division opponents...we get Miss. St. and play at aTm. SoCar gets aTm at home and trades MSU for a game at Ole Miss. But then again they’re sportswriters; I might be expecting a bit much out of them.

As for S. Carolina, they get Samuel trying to come back from that broken leg and (imo) overrated QB Bentley back, but will they have a running game this year? Will they be able to stop anyone’s rushing attack? They did beat the bad teams on their schedule last year though, something UK couldn’t do. It just seems to me like a lot of their hype is based on beating Michigan in the Outback Bowl vs. another overrated coach.

Missouri is another team that looks good until you look at who they actually beat. They started last year 1-5 before finishing the regular season on a 6 game tear. Those 6 wins were against Idaho, UConn, three SEC teams firing coaches, and Vandy. At least SC and Mizzou took care of business though, wheareas we screwed the pooch against UF and should have beaten Ole Miss. If we had finished 9-3 instead of 7-5 and then won our bowl game we would be the sexy pick for second in the east. Nah we’d probably be picked 4th instead of 5th hahahaha
    USC beat Mich on bowl and we lost to Northwesten. That is all that is needed to be said about why they are picked ahead of us.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopcat View Post
    USC beat Mich on bowl and we lost to Northwesten. That is all that is needed to be said about why they are picked ahead of us.
    They did; against one of the most overrated coaches in all of college football. We lost to Northwestern after some prima dona ref tossed Benny. But they’re not just picked ahead of us, they’re picked second while we’re picked fifth. There’s more to it than just the bowl games.

IMO Jim Harbaugh owes as much to Andrew Luck as Jimbo Fisher owes to Jameis Winston, but maybe that’s just me.

Btw, last year before the bowl games, Michigan was 8-4, 5-4. Northwestern was 9-3, 7-2.
    Last edited by Catfan73; 07-22-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    Don't panic

Michigan is the bigger name, but Northwestern was better than Michigan last year. Michigan was not a very good team.

They did; against one of the most overrated coaches in all of college football. We lost to Northwestern after some prima dona ref tossed Benny. But they’re not just picked ahead of us, they’re picked second while we’re picked fifth. There’s more to it than just the bowl games.

IMO Jim Harbaugh owes as much to Andrew Luck as Jimbo Fisher owes to Jameis Winston, but maybe that’s just me.

Btw, last year before the bowl games, Michigan was 8-4, 5-4. Northwestern was 9-3, 7-2.
    Harbaugh took a surprising 49ers team to the super bowl behind a dominating defense and surprisingly adequate play from Kaepernick. He left for Michigan, and the 49ers immediately sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by HerbTarlek View Post
    Harbaugh took a surprising 49ers team to the super bowl behind a dominating defense and surprisingly adequate play from Kaepernick. He left for Michigan, and the 49ers immediately sucked.

All true. He was also very good at Stanford. But he’s accomplished nothing at Michigan.

Super Kitten

ďIMO Jim Harbaugh owes as much to Andrew Luck as Jimbo Fisher owes to Jameis Winston, but maybe thatís just me.Ē

In my opinion Stoops owes his contract extension to Stephen Johnson. The 2 guys u reference above have proved themselves over the years. Stoops not yet

“IMO Jim Harbaugh owes as much to Andrew Luck as Jimbo Fisher owes to Jameis Winston, but maybe that’s just me.”

In my opinion Stoops owes his contract extension to Stephen Johnson. The 2 guys u reference above have proved themselves over the years. Stoops not yet
    I don’t believe anyone has ever called Mark Stoops overrated and I wasn’t comparing him to Harbaugh or Fisher, or Muschamp for that matter.

Harbaugh took Stanford to two 2nd place finishes in the Pac10, both times with Luck at quarterback. At Michigan he’s finished no better than 3rd in the east division of the Big10. He’s never won a conference title except at the University of San Diego in the Pioneer League—the same conference that Morehead St. plays in, with no scholarships for football. Jimbo fared a little better at FSU, but as Clemson got better FSU got worse. I expect A&M to compete for 2nd-3rd in the SEC west in coming years but in my opinion both these are overrated. It has nothing to do with Mark Stoops.

Meant to mention salaries...Harbaugh is making $9 million a year; Jimbo $7.5 million. If that’s not overrated....
    Last edited by Catfan73; 07-22-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    Don't panic

South Carolinas defense couldn't get off the field last year and lost a ton. I can't see them being any better this year. I look for the Cats to make it five in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
    South Carolinas defense couldn't get off the field last year and lost a ton. I can't see them being any better this year. I look for the Cats to make it five in a row.
    Right! The sportswriters have voted #2 a team that ranks 119th in the country in returning production on defense. They’ll play at least two run-heavy teams early in Georgia and UK, those games should be a good barometer of whether the hype makes any sense or not.
    Don't panic

is that this years rankings, last years, or any of the last 15 years...because they all look the same to me

You can get bitter or you can get better....I choose better

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    is that this years rankings, last years, or any of the last 15 years...because they all look the same to me
    They're pretty much the same every year, at least as far as UK is concerned. Here's my wildly optimistic stab at it--I can't do much worse than the media usually does....
    East
    Georgia.......1
    Kentucky.....2
    Missouri......3
    S. Carolina..5
    Florida........4
    Vandy.........7
    Tennessee...6

West
    Alabama.....1
    Auburn.......2
    Miss. St......3
    Texas A&M..4
    LSU...........6
    Arkansas....5
    Ole Miss.....7

Made a couple of minor changes...
    Last edited by Catfan73; 08-04-2018 at 04:06 PM.
    Don't panic

They're pretty much the same every year, at least as far as UK is concerned. Here's my wildly optimistic stab at it--I can't do much worse than the media usually does....
    East
    Georgia
    Kentucky
    Missouri
    S. Carolina
    Florida
    Vandy
    Tennessee

West
    Alabama
    Auburn
    Miss. St.
    Texas A&M
    LSU
    Arkansas
    Ole Miss
    IF we get good solid QB play (which is admittedly a big if), this is the way I see it:

EAST
    UGA
    UF
    UK
    SC
    Mizzou
    UT
    Vandy

WEST
    Bama
    Auburn
    A&M
    Miss St.
    Ole Miss
    LSU
    Arkansas

Fiddlin' Five

I think most here are undervaluing the potential of Florida under Mullen. And Tennessee under their new coach too.
    Neither team was left with the cupboard bare, there just wasn't a head guy in either place that could do much in regards to player development (geez, where else have we heard that?). Just sit back and watch as the season unfolds. Both Florida & Tennessee will be much better than they are being assessed as of right now. I
    We will finish just under mid-level, maybe a little lower, depending on who we end up with @ QB, and depending on how well we play on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
    Perhaps because USC finished ahead of us in the standings last season and they both finished playing better than us.

We get the Gators this time. In the swamp.
    I guess head to head matchups don't mean anything? I mean, maybe you can make a case that one game doesn't mean anything, but facts are facts, we have 4 wins in a row over USC now.

Our expectation every year should be to beat them. Same as Missouri. There will be years that we don't, and this year could be such, but I'm not counting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I think most here are undervaluing the potential of Florida under Mullen. And Tennessee under their new coach too.
    Neither team was left with the cupboard bare, there just wasn't a head guy in either place that could do much in regards to player development (geez, where else have we heard that?). Just sit back and watch as the season unfolds. Both Florida & Tennessee will be much better than they are being assessed as of right now. I
    We will finish just under mid-level, maybe a little lower, depending on who we end up with @ QB, and depending on how well we play on defense.
    UT got their 12th(or something similar to that) option as a coach. They're worse than they were last year. We should not lose to them.