Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

iPhone 6 v 6s v 6 plus v 7

Need a slight upgrade for my daughter, who currently is fussing about the iPhone 5 she has.

She uses NO apps (she's my artsy daughter), but "needs" an iPhone. Takes a lot of pictures. Uses it for email, facebook, instagram, not much else (she may have those apps; just wanted to make sure you knew she wasn't a power user).

Tell me is there a "reasonable" upgrade? Pedro, you out there with any special giveaway deals from those refurbished places or whatever? Notice I didn't even bother including the 8 or the X, or whatever. A slight upgrade is probably enough.

Right now she's complaining that it freezes on her and the battery life is poor--even though Apple installed a new battery last year for it.

Re: iPhone 6 v 6s v 6 plus v 7

I can't believe that I of all people am chiming in. I still have a functioning Blackberry Torch that I keep as a backup. iPhone 8 - Wife and Daughter LOVE them, iPhone X Granddaughter is in LOVE with hers as well. Another Granddaughter and Grandson have the iPhone 5S that was Grammy's hand-me-down and an iPhone 5. Them not so much, what with the battery life and such, so the 8 or X may be an option if you can get a deal on a refurb.
    Me, I will be content with my meat and potatoes Samsung.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

I have an iPhone 6s+ and love it. Takes good pics, does everything I need it to do and more. I upgraded in 2016 and retired my iPhone 4, which I still have.

I like the plus because it is larger, which makes text and images in turn larger.

Whichever you get don't settle for the 16gb memory versions.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I have an iPhone 6s+ and love it. Takes good pics, does everything I need it to do and more. I upgraded in 2016 and retired my iPhone 4, which I still have.

I like the plus because it is larger, which makes text and images in turn larger.

Whichever you get don't settle for the 16gb memory versions.
    Ditto^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I like the iphone6. It fits in my pocket and hand easily and functions well. I don’t want anything bigger.

I do have the 16GB version, but I don’t download a lot of music. I just keep a 3rd party photo app to save my pictures when I get a lot on my phone, but my phone has neverr been close to full (except when I had music I didn’t listen to.)

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I like the iphone6. It fits in my pocket and hand easily and functions well. I don’t want anything bigger.

I do have the 16GB version, but I don’t download a lot of music. I just keep a 3rd party photo app to save my pictures when I get a lot on my phone, but my phone has neverr been close to full (except when I had music I didn’t listen to.)
    Thanks.

I'm leaning toward this, but taking the other suggestion and going to 64 go RAM. That might be my compromise.

Appreciate all the comments. Helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post

If you turn on your photo stream option you can save photos to your iCloud account.

Yeah, but I prefer not to leave them on my phone to add up, and deleting them removes them from the cloud too. I’be found a way to deal with that with another app and it works well for me

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    If you turn on your photo stream option you can save photos to your iCloud account.

I've had a 6s+ since they first came out and love it. I'll probably get the battery replaced this year and keep rolling with it.

Mrs. BEvans and Son of BEvans have 6s's and are very happy with theirs.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    I've had a 6s+ since they first came out and love it. I'll probably get the battery replaced this year and keep rolling with it.

Thanks for the battery exchange link... I was thinking of upgrading from a 6s to an 8, but I think I’ll go with the battery swap.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post

I think the wife and I will replace our batteries before the end of the year also. I used my iPhone 4 for 6 years, and hope to get that long out of the 6s+.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Need a slight upgrade for my daughter, who currently is fussing about the iPhone 5 she has.

She uses NO apps (she's my artsy daughter), but "needs" an iPhone. Takes a lot of pictures. Uses it for email, facebook, instagram, not much else (she may have those apps; just wanted to make sure you knew she wasn't a power user).

Tell me is there a "reasonable" upgrade? Pedro, you out there with any special giveaway deals from those refurbished places or whatever? Notice I didn't even bother including the 8 or the X, or whatever. A slight upgrade is probably enough.

Right now she's complaining that it freezes on her and the battery life is poor--even though Apple installed a new battery last year for it.
    Took me longer to answer this than intended, work has been damn busy recently. Nothing like dealing with backorders, potential recalls, and being one of the only experts in my area in the entire damn company.

I know with you that your budget is cheap as possible, but is there any ceiling for the budget? iPhone's do not have quite the same market depreciation that Android phones do. Using Swappa as an estimate and keep in mind this is just glancing at the unlocked pricing: an iPhone 7 is running around $300-370 used, while the 6s is running around $170-220, and the 6 is running around $130-150. To me, the price alone would eliminate the 6 as the 6s is certainly better even if only slightly. The only question is if the 7 at $300 is better than the 6s at $200. The iPhone 7 is a HUGE upgrade in a number of areas. Namely, the camera is dramatically improved, the processor is much faster, and it adds certified IP67 "waterproofing". Additionally, it is newer, so the battery life will be much better and it will show less wear and tear and will likely last longer. Now whether these benefits are worth the $100-150 price difference to you is something I can't answer, as your budget plays a role.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 07-24-2018 at 03:51 PM.

^^^ See, now that’s interesting. I never really heard any reviews on the 7 and in thinking of upgrading I jumped straight to the 8. 8’s are still in the $600-$800-$1000 range for used ones.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    ^^^ See, now that’s interesting. I never really heard any reviews on the 7 and in thinking of upgrading I jumped straight to the 8. 8’s are still in the $600-$800-$1000 range for used ones.

8's are a huge jump up from the 7, so you didn't do badly. On the used market the 7 is still a great phone and adds some important features like optical image stabilization in the camera (for better low light photos) and a few other now common iPhone features in comparison to the 6 and 6s. That being said, I know Darrel's budget and iPhone 8 is not gonna fit.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Took me longer to answer this than intended, work has been damn busy recently. Nothing like dealing with backorders, potential recalls, and being one of the only experts in my area in the entire damn company.

I know with you that your budget is cheap as possible, but is there any ceiling for the budget? iPhone's do not have quite the same market depreciation that Android phones do. Using Swappa as an estimate and keep in mind this is just glancing at the unlocked pricing: an iPhone 7 is running around $300-370 used, while the 6s is running around $170-220, and the 6 is running around $130-150. To me, the price alone would eliminate the 6 as the 6s is certainly better even if only slightly. The only question is if the 7 at $300 is better than the 6s at $200. The iPhone 7 is a HUGE upgrade in a number of areas. Namely, the camera is dramatically improved, the processor is much faster, and it adds certified IP67 "waterproofing". Additionally, it is newer, so the battery life will be much better and it will show less wear and tear and will likely last longer. Now whether these benefits are worth the $100-150 price difference to you is something I can't answer, as your budget plays a role.
    Thanks, Pedro. Great information.

8's are a huge jump up from the 7, so you didn't do badly. On the used market the 7 is still a great phone and adds some important features like optical image stabilization in the camera (for better low light photos) and a few other now common iPhone features in comparison to the 6 and 6s. That being said, I know Darrel's budget and iPhone 8 is not gonna fit.
    You are dead on right about that budget.

....oh, no, I didn’t jump to to the 8. Pretty much in thinking about upgrading I never really considered the 7 because I haven’t heard that much about them, so I jumped to the 8 for consideration until I started evaluating price...

I mentioned above that I might just go for the battery replacement for my 6s, but after reading your post I might seriously consider the 7, while waiting for the 8 to calm down in price.

I've found the refurbished iPhone 6s, 64gb on Amazon for $239. I'm finding the iPhone 7, 32gb for about $375. I would spend $300 for a similar iPhone 7, but I don't think I can find it.

Bombino

I've found the refurbished iPhone 6s, 64gb on Amazon for $239. I'm finding the iPhone 7, 32gb for about $375. I would spend $300 for a similar iPhone 7, but I don't think I can find it.
    Dunno how it got deleted, but let me try again. They exist, I promise. Here are a few examples from Swappa:

Rose Gold 32GB in good condition $310:
    https://swappa.com/listing/HNI565/view

Gold 128GB in fair condition $329:
    https://swappa.com/listing/PQN594/view

Black 32GB in ok condition $300:
    https://swappa.com/listing/UVG759/view

Rose Gold 32GB in good condition $310:
    https://swappa.com/listing/KFF988/view

The first seems to be in the best condition, you can likely negotiate it down to $300 but no guarantee. The second one is the best value, but it's not in great condition. For any phone, ask the seller questions you might have and for any extra pictures you might want. Let me know if you have any questions.

IPhone 7, 32gb > iPhone 6s, 64gb?

Bombino

IPhone 7, 32gb > iPhone 6s, 64gb?
    Pretty much, yes. Using services like iCloud and the like, you can find ways to back up and/or create free space. You can't add new features and make the phone supported longer.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 08-13-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Hmm. I'm still not sure, Pedro.

Also just saw it had no headphone jack. She's a music theatre major. She lives with listening through headphones. Plugs them into her computer, then her speakers, then her phone, and vice-versa. I know you can rig it with a dongle thing, but just one more thing...

Bombino

Hmm. I'm still not sure, Pedro.

Also just saw it had no headphone jack. She's a music theatre major. She lives with listening through headphones. Plugs them into her computer, then her speakers, then her phone, and vice-versa. I know you can rig it with a dongle thing, but just one more thing...
    My advice applies to the most general cases, there will always be outliers which don't conform; especially if there is extra information that I don't know about.

You mentioned she loved taking photos, the camera on the 7 is a LOT better (especially in low light) than the iPhone 6S. On the flipside, I use my headphones A LOT. I need noise/music to allow me to write clearly and it seems like recently 70% of my job has been writing. The headphone jack is one thing that made me choose the LG V30 instead of the Pixel 2 XL; so I can fully understand your daughters usage scenario. In this case, you might need to involve your daughter in this decision. As it mostly hinges on whether she would be prefer the newer hardware and a better camera but need to carry a dongle or if she would prefer the lesser hardware and camera and have the headphone jack. The former is objectively hands down the winner, but in the end YMMV.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 08-13-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks, Pedro. A lot of great advice.

I took your other advice and just asked my daughter, rather than it being a surprise. She is thinking about it, but leaning toward the iPhone 7. That surprised me, but it will be a good decision except for the headphone jack, which she can remedy with a dongle thing anyway.

Bombino

I took your other advice and just asked my daughter, rather than it being a surprise. She is thinking about it, but leaning toward the iPhone 7. That surprised me, but it will be a good decision except for the headphone jack, which she can remedy with a dongle thing anyway.
    Great to hear, I think she is making the right choice. Between the fact that the dongles are actually quite small and how much bluetooth headphones have improved, the outright NEED of a headphone jack is much smaller than it used to be.

Pedro, I delivered the "new to her" phone yesterday. Had a guy on "Nextdoor Neighbor" that sold me his daughter's iPhone 7 Plus for $325. 32gb, looks flawless. Came with the original charging block and cord, and a solid case that at least will protect it until my daughter finds one she wants. (At least it was owned by his daughter, so it was a rose gold/pink color, with a unicorn case).

He told me that he thought the battery was probably 85% of original, but he also said he really had no real basis to say that, just a WAG.

For a change, everything worked fine when I switched her SIM card out. For me, that's a miracle. All of her pictures, contacts, etc. restored from her itunes or something. Had a happy daughter.

Thanks again for your advice.

Bombino

Pedro, I delivered the "new to her" phone yesterday. Had a guy on "Nextdoor Neighbor" that sold me his daughter's iPhone 7 Plus for $325. 32gb, looks flawless. Came with the original charging block and cord, and a solid case that at least will protect it until my daughter finds one she wants. (At least it was owned by his daughter, so it was a rose gold/pink color, with a unicorn case).

He told me that he thought the battery was probably 85% of original, but he also said he really had no real basis to say that, just a WAG.

For a change, everything worked fine when I switched her SIM card out. For me, that's a miracle. All of her pictures, contacts, etc. restored from her itunes or something. Had a happy daughter.

Thanks again for your advice.
    Wow, that is a HECK of a deal! Great job on getting it all set back up too.