Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: I love my doctor

Fab Five

I love my doctor

the ophthalmologist. I learn a lot.
    1. Statins have a positive impact on eyesight. Statins and blood pressure meds seem to have a positive impact on reducing macular degeneration.
    2. Buy cheap sunglasses. He doesn’t necessarily recomment wearing them. Using them while playing golf or riding a bike will reduce eye irritation.
    3. He said amber lenses will help with golf. It will allow for easier tracking of your ball. Also suggested a yellow ball would help as well.
    4. As has my internist, He recommended taking both an antihistamine and low dose aspirin every day. He believes a daily antihistimine would improve both vision and hearing. They reduce vision cloudiness. I guess he figured I had a hearing problem when I asked him to repeat something. He mumbles a lot.
    5. I have cataracts. Most people over 40 do. Who knew? He said I’ll need surgery in 10 to 20 years. It will be an extremely simple procedure by then.

All in all I feel good about the visit. I don’t hate the statins and blood pressure meds any more. I don’t need glasses, though he said to use reading cheaters. Cheaters should be stronger not weaker as weaker ones will hurt your long range vision.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 07-16-2018 at 03:52 PM.
    Real Fan since 1958

Re: I love my doctor

Interesting on the statins.

A few years ago, I went to my ophthalmologist (Wade Joiner). I have peculiar eyes; one of them I didn't see out of from ages 9 to age 26, and the other just poor eyesight (but getting better).

Anyway, I asked him what he thought about me getting lasik surgery on that "poor eyesight" eye, or if I was too old, etc. He said, "why don't you just wait until we get your cataract removed and let insurance take care of it?"

That was the first time I knew I had a cataract in that eye. He said it was tiny, and it would take years to develop. It was about four years ago. Since that time my eyesight has gotten better (prescription from -3.50 to -2.00 or -1.75.) I think it has something to do with the cataract, and it getting better before it gets worse.

Did they recommend a particular antihistamine? I take a fair amount of claritin, but not every day, just for weeks at a time when the time is right. Is that one of the good ones, or does it matter?

Fab Five

Re: I love my doctor

He recommended Claritin. I told him my internist suggested xyrtec. He said either but suggested that I do take one or the other. He told me almost everyone has the cataracts. It is only when they grow large and affect quality of life that surgery is recommended. He said in my case it is unlikely before my mid eighties. But I had never heard thAt almost everyone has them. I certainly didn’t know I had them.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 07-16-2018 at 06:15 PM.
    Real Fan since 1958