Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

University of Kentucky cuts all financial ties to Papa John, too

Linda Blackford
    @lbblackford
    the @universityofky will cut all financial ties with John Schnatter, after pizza magnate admits to racist statements. UK follows @uofl , which has renamed Papa John's Cardinal Stadium. Story soon on kentucky.com

Re: University of Kentucky cuts all financial ties to Papa John, too

Linda Blackford @lbblackford
    3m
    Schnatter gave $6 million to create the John H. Schnatter Institute for the Study of Free Enterprise and $2 million to name the Gatton College atrium after him. All references will be taken down.

Bombino

I don’t agree with knee jerk reaction.

Claims are he is distraught and very apologetic about his comments.

Can’t a person have a lapse of judgement and be forgiven? I in no way condoning his comments but to the best of my knowledge this was an isolated incident that he regrets. If this was a pattern then I understand. Maybe it is but I have seen no mention of it.

In this PC environment we live in, people are quick to judge the and convict while pretending they are compassionate and caring.

Why don’t we give him a chance to apologize and make this right? Seems like it would be a win win for all people involved. Oh well what do I know...
    Last edited by snoopcat; 07-13-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Rupp's Runt

I've not read or heard enough about this to really comment. But in general, I'd forgive someone once for most things. He could have apologized by making a large donation to feed children or some other charitable cause and I'd probably be okay with it.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Quote Originally Posted by snoopcat View Post
    I don’t agree with knee jerk reaction.

Claims are he is distraught and very apologetic about his comments.

Can’t a person have a lapse of judgement and be forgiven? I in no way condone his comments but to the best of my knowledge this was an isolated incident that he regrets. If this was a pattern then I understand. Maybe it is but I have seen no mention of it.

In this PC environment we live in, people are quick to judge the and convict while pretending they are compassionate and caring.

Why don’t we him a chance to apologize and make this right? Seems like it would be a win win for all people involved. Oh well what do I know...
    There should be a distinction in using the word as a slur ie “you are blank” and saying “so and so called people blank”.

I am not compelled to ruin a person for that. I am far more disturbed by a drunk in a Chicago park accosting a woman for wearing a Puerto Rico shirt while park police ignore the threatening behavior.

Back to papa, I am not sure I have seen a businessman self destruct so publicly.

I'm with Snoop, in my opinion some of these "Saints" will have a lot of explaining to do on Judgement Day. God commands us to forgive as he will forgive all of us. A complete and total overreaction. This PC culture has gone nuts

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    There should be a distinction in using the word as a slur ie “you are blank” and saying “so and so called people blank”.
    Context is not considered as part of the PC culture unless you are a rapper.

I will be curious if the either stadium will deny the venue to an artist, rapper, band who uses this language in its performance. /sarcasm...
    Last edited by Catonahottinroof; 07-14-2018 at 08:11 AM.

You show me a man his age or older that says he''s never said the word and I'll show you a liar in the overwhelming number of cases

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    You show me a man his age or older that says he''s never said the word and I'll show you a liar in the overwhelming number of cases
    I’m only 3 years younger and have never used that word. Growing up I never heard the word used at home either. In college it made me very uncomfortable when African-American males referred to each other using that word.

I feel sorry for the facilities guys at UL, having to take down stuff all the time like banners and signs.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

I dont believe it rises to the point of blatant racism on his part if it is just this single instance, but taking away a couple of his big boy toys is a fair enough reaction. And that's really all anyone is doing.
    He of all people has the wherewithal to make lemonade out of the lemon he produced if he so chooses.

His reference to Harlan Sanders was ill timed and not an applicable reference imo. No more than using Adolph Rupp as an example of segregation and racism in sports would be.

Obviously he was declaring and heralding his pizza empire over Sanders and KFC.
    And he's getting fried for it.

Last edited by kingcat; 07-14-2018 at 11:14 AM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I would think all of us would agree he should not have said it but it doesn't merit ruining his life over it. Seems some would be fine with giving him the electric chair

That post pretty much tells me a lot and the homeboy remarks back it up completely. Gives reason to why all the remarks cutting Johnson also.
    Sure wish a block was in order here or complete removal from the island.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

I can't get enough right wing European-Americans talking all blustery about using racial epithets and how terrible allllllll the Africa-Americans are for using it.... how 'bout taking your complaints to the NAACP, talk to somebody who's African-American... or get back to SPORTS... 'til then, I'll be crying no tears for the poor little millionaire with the big f*****n' mouth.

Rupp's Runt

There is an ignore button. But let's all be sensitive to this subject. We once lost a great poster over a sensitive topic. Let's not do that again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    There is an ignore button. But let's all be sensitive to this subject. We once lost a great poster over a sensitive topic. Let's not do that again.

Great advice. Let's move this to the Barber Shop, in fact.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Great advice. Let's move this to the Barber Shop, in fact.
    Noooo! I dont get there often and I'll miss the arguing. j/k

So... you’ve never read “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”. Can you read it out loud in America without losing your place in society?

Also who did we lose and over what subject?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    So... you’ve never read “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”. Can you read it out loud in America without losing your place in society?
    I can't recall the Harvard professor who has been so critical of that book for so long, name escapes me. Big bushy haired guy, watched him at a symposium once on the subject, it was amazing. They can't even see that Mark Twain was writing a scathing indictment of racism in a world where it was assumed. Clements was a man before his time in recognizing the equality of men across race and economic lines, yet there are many who see his works as somehow "racist". It's jaw dropping some of them have advanced degrees.

It's like reading Gullivers' Travels and thinking it's about giants and tiny sheep and horses or Flatland and thinking it's about geometry. The meaning of it is just lost on them b/c they can't see the subtext.

No doubt Samuel Clements would have some witty response to such people to put them in their place, and I imagine they wouldn't even know they'd be so insulted.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Two things: Anyone thought that maybe people cutting ties to Papa John was about more than what he said in that one instance? It's pretty obvious in this country today people are willing to allow a lot go under the bridge as long as they are getting what they want (or think they are getting what they want) so it seems odd to me how quickly he has been cut off at the knees for this. Plus, he had already "stepped down" as CEO on January 1, 2018. Sounds to me this was just another brick in the wall. Finally, he gave money to U6 - what more evidence do you need that he was a giant asshole?

Second: Apparently, Papa John spread more money around than C2 in a strip club: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/s...hn-sponsorship

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    Two things: Anyone thought that maybe people cutting ties to Papa John was about more than what he said in that one instance? It's pretty obvious in this country today people are willing to allow a lot go under the bridge as long as they are getting what they want (or think they are getting what they want) so it seems odd to me how quickly he has been cut off at the knees for this. Plus, he had already "stepped down" as CEO on January 1, 2018. Sounds to me this was just another brick in the wall. Finally, he gave money to U6 - what more evidence do you need that he was a giant asshole?

Second: Apparently, Papa John spread more money around than C2 in a strip club: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/s...hn-sponsorship
    In today’s world it only takes one incident to be branded for life.

Here is an article on his CEO resignation:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...own/974917001/
    Last edited by KeithKSR; 07-17-2018 at 08:19 AM.

Citizen, the answer is “no”, you would not be allowed to read Mark Twain aloud in public without getting the full Papa John treatment. It is refularly on the top of the banned book list too. Perhaps America’s greatest writer banned in America. (Sorry Mr Hemingway!)

And it won’t just be this subject—Hemingway’s too macho, Faulkner too southern, the patriots too male, western civilization too exploitive

FYI: Easton Press has published a very nice Huckleberry Finn for sale ($64.90). It's collection worthy.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    Two things: Anyone thought that maybe people cutting ties to Papa John was about more than what he said in that one instance?
    It's about them not taking any risks. No one will come after UL or UK or whoever for cutting ties, they will if they don't. These days you excommunicate anyone who is getting torched in this way. Shunned and out of the village.

And if they can keep the money they really win, b/c they got paid for naming rights and can now turn around and sell them again. They have a vested economic interest in going this way if they can keep his naming rights money.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.