Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Vanderbilt.... 3 years 4 million contract...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    Technically, he's right. We know college basketball inclusive of one and done's and their effect on the game. With those guys gone, it is a different game. It will look more like the late 90's and early 00's, but probably not quite as good, as more guys have options to make a lot of money.
    Even with the abolition of OAD there will continue to be a number of guys who play a year of college and then declare for the NBA.

I don’t think there are any additional methods for making a lot of money than there were 20 years ago. The only real additions are the two NBA-G League two-way contracts, which are limited to two per team. The G-League salaries are pretty small for a professional athlete given the need for personal trainers, extra travel and other expense most people do not have.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    The NBA players’ association won’t agree to two years. I don’t think the NBA would do away with the OAD if it weren’t for the Rice commission pushing for it.
    Have to disagree on this one. Their new chair has been pushing it since Day One, well before Rice was even formed. And they don't care a bit about the Rice stuff. Has no impact on them.

They're moving that way b/c they want to get back into the high school level of the business. They got out with the OAD rule b/c they didn't want to be in high schools and AAU.

but IMO their plan is to overtake not just college ball but AAU. They've made more than one comment in that direction. They are going to go the exact opposite direction they went with the OAD.

no one is pushing the owners to get rid of the one year. They are doing that on their own, part of this shift in strategy.

Here's one article on what they are doing: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...nce-again-espn

From Silver:

"We're spending a lot of time on [youth basketball]. I think there is a big opportunity, on a global basis, focus on elite players in terms of better training, better fitness, so that they ultimately can be successful at the highest level," Silver said during All-Star Weekend. "That is something from a league standpoint, together with our teams, we're putting an enormous amount of energy and resources into."

Within the past year, league officials began canvassing teams on their ideas and interest in the NBA creating academies that would house and train dozens of the country's elite high school basketball players, sources said. This academy concept has been floated for years, notably by Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

They're going to vertically integrate. They're coming after college ball, the shoe company's AAU circuit, and even schooling itself.

write it down in ink. If the NCAA and colleges don't climb down off their high horses and ivory tower conceits and open up to the marketplace and let these kids earn money from their obvious brand value in colleges, all that money that lets them have all those facilities and all those olympic sports is all going away.

Cinderella is a nice angle for the NCAA tourney, but the ratings are based on wanting to see great games and great teams. If UK is at the top but fielding mid-major talent, that rifle team is going away b/c the money is going away.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Even with the abolition of OAD there will continue to be a number of guys who play a year of college and then declare for the NBA.

I don’t think there are any additional methods for making a lot of money than there were 20 years ago. The only real additions are the two NBA-G League two-way contracts, which are limited to two per team. The G-League salaries are pretty small for a professional athlete given the need for personal trainers, extra travel and other expense most people do not have.
    If they get the best players, those guys will help get brand for those minor league teams, and the NBA will brand with them. They won't get the big checks till they make the NBA rosters, but they'll get more than they get in college.

A lot of minor league baseball teams are actually making money now, by being low cost family entertainment. The NBA can follow that model, but IMO their goal is broader, and is more about market share and feeding the NBA's main product.

That's what Cuban is pushing in the article I linked. They want a global brand presence for the sport, where if you want to see the game played you are tuning to some level of the NBA, be it their version of the minors or the majors or their own high school circuit.

It's branding and brand dominance and market share, b/c if they get that they'll find ways to capitalize on it financially. Japanese marketing we called it in the 80s, where you want brand share first, profits will then come later.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon