Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Cal on KSR radio show

Really raved about Keldon Johnson and EJ being better than he thought. Said he wants reid travis to slim down a bit and get mobile. When asked if baker was the best shooter on the team he kind of deferred and said he's behind because of his leg (leads me to believe he wont get much clock this year) and said most consistent shooter is Keldon, and that Herro, Quickley, and green can really shoot. Said wants to get back to more of the dribble drive because that's what you see in the league a lot. Said the teams we are playing in the Bahamas are going to be good and prob lose a few games against veteran euro teams. When asked if one and done ends in the future he said UK eats first anyways so isn't worried about what happens. Said he's really looking forward to seeing what happens with Reid Travis and if he turns him into a first round pick he expects the NCAA to change the grad transfer rule and laughs...but obviously hes doing this in advance of the oad rule changing to show kids they can come here if they are fringe draft picks and become a first rounder. Matt asked him about how long he plans to coach and noted he looked energized again and he said he's wondering if he can do this till he's 75. Said google my first press conference and look at what you fans have done to me. Said he LOVES this job and the fact he has 2 billion in contracts in the NBA, BILLION. Loves having guys come back and be a part of the school. I don't think Cal is going anywhere, he will do this until he dies I believe.
    Go Cats!

Re: Cal on KSR radio show

Going out of his way to say Keldon Johnson is our most consistent shooter was eye opening. To be fair, Cal didn't say 3 point shooter, but that still stood out to me. If true, watch out.

The other thing was saying twice that the young guys are better than he thought. That's excellent to hear.

Thanks for the notes, guys.

He also singled out EJ Montgomery. Basically said he's more AD than Nerlens.

Keldon, ej, quickley, and herro seem to be the order he discusses guys we haven’t seen. Reid is a given and hasn’t practiced enough to mention yet. We’re gonna he deep, unselfish, and talented. Good mix I hope it leads to a title.
    Go Cats!

Good notes, thanks

By the middle of the year I really believe this will be Cal's best offensive team. Should be a really great rebounding team as well with Reid, Washington and KJ all being guys who will outmuscle their opponents for boards. Do worry about rim protection but could really be tough out front defensively with KJ, Quickley and especially Haqans. Can't wait.

Reid Travis took part in his first UK practice yesterday, per some Cal instagram posts.

He’s pokin the shooters to get better, you can count on it.

Fiddlin' Five

We have not had a decent shooting team since the 2012 NCAAT championship team.
    I hope that Cal will continue to recruit better shooters over the "athletes" that he seems to prefer.
    Yeah, the '14-'15 team had some shooters, but they didn't bring home #9, which is Cal's fault, not theirs.

Unforgettable

10 Things Cal Said Today.

Pretty good stuff.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/baske...is-team-on-ksr

I've somewhat lost faith in the dribble-drive.

In theory, it's a good way to exploit superior talent, but in practice it gives too much power to the officials, IMO.

Unless they call the fouls in a consistent manner, too often the team winds up watching their opponents push the ball the other way while the dribbler is laying under the basket support.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by kybobcat View Post
    I've somewhat lost faith in the dribble-drive.

In theory, it's a good way to exploit superior talent, but in practice it gives too much power to the officials, IMO.

Unless they call the fouls in a consistent manner, too often the team winds up watching their opponents push the ball the other way while the dribbler is laying under the basket support.
    When, as a UK fan, do the officials not have too much power? If we play DDD the officials have too much power. If we slow it down and play half court the officials have too much power. In another thread Darrell suggested "Excuses are for the weak and the weak-minded. Let's not go there." I totally agree. Yet in how many game threads are discussions about officials almost as great as discussions about the actual game? We are the gold standard for college basketball yet we continue to claim that officiating dictates what we do. Personally, I'm going to to with Cal. If he (finally!!) believes DDD is the way to go, let's go! Why do we keep making excuses?

Fact: In every year Cal has been at UK there have been more fouls called on our opponents than us with the exception of 2015-2016 when we were called for 737 vs 712 for our opponents. So, if you are calling for games to be called in a consistent manner...
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance—it is the illusion of knowledge."
    - Daniel J. Boorstin

Not making excuses but to me it’s the situation when fouls are either called or not vs the number called.
    It’s a game by game review in my mind.

Officials are very good at 'evening things up in a box score where consistency should never be the norm.

Often accomplished at the least critical point in any game.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Again, (IMO), the dribble drive puts too much power in an official's hands.*

It's designed to force the refs to call fouls by attacking the rim, creating contact. If the fouls aren't called, it results in contested layups that frequently lead to fast breaks by the opposing team.

A traditional motion offense, on the other hand, is designed to get open shots. College officials are much more likely to call fouls when contact occurs away from the basket during a jump shot than they are on wild-looking layup attempts.

*NOTE: I'm referring to NCAA tournament games, where the skill levels are much closer between teams.

Quote Originally Posted by kybobcat View Post
    Again, (IMO), the dribble drive puts too much power in an official's hands.*

It's designed to force the refs to call fouls by attacking the rim, creating contact. If the fouls aren't called, it results in contested layups that frequently lead to fast breaks by the opposing team.

A traditional motion offense, on the other hand, is designed to get open shots. College officials are much more likely to call fouls when contact occurs away from the basket during a jump shot than they are on wild-looking layup attempts.

*NOTE: I'm referring to NCAA tournament games, where the skill levels are much closer between teams.
    Don't worry.

Some Czar of officials with tweet out a "point of emphasis" list that includes focusing on your points... all to be scrapped by March and not referred to by game announcers, thus rendering it a memory or perhaps never to have existed at all.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    Fact: In every year Cal has been at UK there have been more fouls called on our opponents than us with the exception of 2015-2016 when we were called for 737 vs 712 for our opponents. So, if you are calling for games to be called in a consistent manner...
    Now there's a great example of lies, damned lies and statistics. Presuming Cal's teams and our opponents have relatively identical offenses and defenses so the numbers should be equal if we want "consistent", and implying that if they aren't equal UK is being treated fairly.

There is no way to draw that conclusion from that "fact". Cal runs an offense designed to get to the line, and his defense is designed to avoid foul trouble by playing a very basic possession defense with lots of switching. Just b/c he gets more foul calls doesn't mean that he shouldn't be getting even more than that, and the officiating is still slanted.

You know that of course, so why make those implications when we all know those are fallacious conclusions?

That's not even to get to scheduling differences, etc.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

Unforgettable

Thanks Chief Paduke. That is a great summary. I am intrigued by the comments on Reid and his need to slim down. He may get pushed harder than anyone on the team. It might be that he will show the most improvement. And it may be a real advertisment for what Cal and Kenny can do for a player. For sure they are going to be asking him to do more than he has been asked to do before.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Thanks Chief Paduke. That is a great summary. I am intrigued by the comments on Reid and his need to slim down. He may get pushed harder than anyone on the team. It might be that he will show the most improvement. And it may be a real advertisment for what Cal and Kenny can do for a player. For sure they are going to be asking him to do more than he has been asked to do before.
    It would be a huge feather in the Kentucky hat to get Reid Travis drafted in the first round after getting virtually no interest from the NBA this past spring.

I was slightly distracted during the Cal interview, but I thought I heard him say(when talking about guys playing in the summer league) that one guy had signed a guaranteed contract with the Kings.

I know that Wenyen is on their summer league roster, but two questions..

Did I hear that right?
    Did he really sign a guaranteed deal?

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Now there's a great example of lies, damned lies and statistics. Presuming Cal's teams and our opponents have relatively identical offenses and defenses so the numbers should be equal if we want "consistent", and implying that if they aren't equal UK is being treated fairly.

There is no way to draw that conclusion from that "fact". Cal runs an offense designed to get to the line, and his defense is designed to avoid foul trouble by playing a very basic possession defense with lots of switching. Just b/c he gets more foul calls doesn't mean that he shouldn't be getting even more than that, and the officiating is still slanted.

You know that of course, so why make those implications when we all know those are fallacious conclusions?

That's not even to get to scheduling differences, etc.
    Plus the fact that often UK is ahead toward the end of games and teams are fouling in an attempt to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    I was slightly distracted during the Cal interview, but I thought I heard him say(when talking about guys playing in the summer league) that one guy had signed a guaranteed contract with the Kings.

I know that Wenyen is on their summer league roster, but two questions..

Did I hear that right?
    Did he really sign a guaranteed deal?
    Wenyen hasn't signed anything yet. Kings' fans seem impressed and want one of their two 2-way contracts to go to him. Just what I've gathered on twitter.

**Edit--at least publicly he hasn't signed anything yet. For all I know he's signed something, Cal knows it, but the public doesn't.**

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Wenyen hasn't signed anything yet. Kings' fans seem impressed and want one of their two 2-way contracts to go to him. Just what I've gathered on twitter.

**Edit--at least publicly he hasn't signed anything yet. For all I know he's signed something, Cal knows it, but the public doesn't.**
    I'm listening to KSR and they finally brought that up about half-way through the 2nd hour. Their "best guess" was that Cal messed up and meant a guaranteed opportunity for the summer. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

10 years ago, teams could sign guys like WG to a guaranteed deal and stash him in Europe, basically a lottery ticket. Not sure if that's possible any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post

Wenyen has looked good in the two summer league games I have seen him play. He will land in an NBA camp this fall. Gabriel’s 3 and D game will eventually earn him a nice paycheck.

I'm listening to KSR and they finally brought that up about half-way through the 2nd hour. Their "best guess" was that Cal messed up and meant a guaranteed opportunity for the summer. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

10 years ago, teams could sign guys like WG to a guaranteed deal and stash him in Europe, basically a lottery ticket. Not sure if that's possible any more.
    That makes sense.

Wenyen gets his deal.

Multiple reports it’s a 2-way with Kings.

Congrats!

Cal on KSR radio show

Wenyen gets his deal.

Multiple reports it’s a 2-way with Kings.

Congrats!
    Good deal. Getting paid to play basketball. What a country.

What a world!

The international game has provided a rich life to plenty UK guys, and more.