Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You can call this coincidence if you want, or whatever....but it's pretty weird

Two weeks ago or so, I picked up a watch I had not worn in many years. It's an old gold Seiko watch. It's a nice watch, but I had been given years ago a casual Rolex I wear day to day and rotate around some more casual watches, and had stopped wearing the Seiko.

The Seiko was a gift from my Mom and Dad when I was in school, a Christmas gift one year. Mom and Dad didn't have that much, and that gift was extravagant for them. Later, my Dad told me that they got it on a "super special," sort of like the old "K-Mart Blue Light" specials, and paid $40 for it. They had a nice note with it about a successful man needed a Seiko, rather than the Timex or Casio watches I was used to wearing.

I loved that watch.

I had that watch through law school, through my master's program, and after I left to go working in Montgomery. In Montgomery, I was coaching a Dixie League baseball team, and we had practice right after work. I changed clothes, and put my watch in my dress shoes, and my shoes on top of the car. I forgot I had done so, and took off down the road, forgetting, and seeing in the rear view mirror and my heart sank, thinking about what had happened. I turned around, and found the debris--I was going maybe 40mph when it hit--and my watch band was broken. But the watch was still working. I replaced the band (or maybe just the clasp), and kept wearing it.

Fast forward--as I said, I had not worn it in years, and a week or so before my Dad died, I saw it. Looked at it, and thought I'd try to replace the battery and see if it worked. I got a new battery, replaced it, and it started running. So I started wearing it for a change of pace.

When I got the news of my Dad dying, I was wearing the watch. I wore it to visitation, and the funeral. After the funeral, and visiting at the cemetery, we went to his church to eat, because that's always what you do in the South, right? Or maybe everywhere, I dunno. After that, we went to his house and my stepmom's house to visit, and pick up the things he had for us.

I walked in the house at 4:37 p.m.

I know this, because the Seiko stopped at 4:37 p.m. And stayed stopped the entire time we were there. We then left--I drove the car my Dad had just bought, and was going home with my brother, and drove it to my hotel. My brother and his family came up to our room and helped bring in some of the things.

The watch stayed stopped.

We said goodbye, made plans for today to do some business things and a brief visit, and my brother left in the car. As he drove away, I looked at the watch.

The Seiko started running at that moment. And has been running ever since.

You can call that a coincidence. You can call all of it a coincidence. I'm not sure what Dad was telling me, but I think he was telling me something. Maybe something like, "it's going to be alright, now time to move on and take care of my grandkids"--a note he had left to both my brother and I in an email telling us what he wanted to happen at his demise.

For what it's worth, there was nothing like the stem moved, or crown pulled out, or anything like that. Nothing. I promise. I just figured it was a bad battery--I bought a variety pack from Amazon, and that can be hit-or-miss. But it's still running now.

And if it quits tomorrow, and doesn't start again, it won't change my mind on what happened. It wasn't a coincidence.

Re: You can call this coincidence if you want, or whatever....but it's pretty weird

Cool story...who knows
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: You can call this coincidence if you want, or whatever....but it's pretty weird

I still think it's a bad battery. I'm guessing sometime in the next month it will give way and won't start. But in my mind, it's still not a coincidence. Maybe I'm looking too hard.

lend it to me for a week. Odds are it will spontaneously combust and burn off my arm
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

lol. Doc, I am sorry you are having such a tough time. Surely better things are coming. But I think I'll hang onto my watch for now, just in case .

Fab Five

Cool story
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    lend it to me for a week. Odds are it will spontaneously combust and burn off my arm
    I'm sorry to say, but this just made me totally lose it at the office. Doc man you've had such a hard stretch, and that plus reading what I agree with Darrell was no coincidence, hit me just right somehow.

As to Darrell's story, I totally believe there are forces at work in our world beyond what we perceive. Too many examples for it not to be the case. My mother's grandfather had some of that connection to it, he could lay on hands and cure things. Nothing big but some things. Mother has a little of it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Just a regular old watch, but here's a pic of it.

Seiko watch.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I still think it's a bad battery.
    Batteries don’t spontaneously rejuvenate under load. There are a lot of things that happen that we cannot explain.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I'm sorry to say, but this just made me totally lose it at the office. Doc man you've had such a hard stretch, and that plus reading what I agree with Darrell was no coincidence, hit me just right somehow.

As to Darrell's story, I totally believe there are forces at work in our world beyond what we perceive. Too many examples for it not to be the case. My mother's grandfather had some of that connection to it, he could lay on hands and cure things. Nothing big but some things. Mother has a little of it.

Dude, you got no idea. Every day is an adventure. I got ONE bit of good news yesterday amongst 10 bits of not so go.

You know if it was a message or not. Doubting comes much easier than belief.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Dude, you got no idea. Every day is an adventure. I got ONE bit of good news yesterday amongst 10 bits of not so go.
    I swear I laughed in sympathy. it was such a 'throw your hands up' kind of statement. Are you sure you didn't crash into a mirror factory or something? Cross a witch doctor?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Freshman

Whether it was an electrical anomaly or a sign, treat it as a sign. In the absence of knowing for sure, let it comfort you.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I swear I laughed in sympathy. it was such a 'throw your hands up' kind of statement. Are you sure you didn't crash into a mirror factory or something? Cross a witch doctor?
    It gone from worse, to ####ing worse, to UNBELIEVABLY ####ing worse. My wife was publicly shamed in front of the "board of governors" of the home owner association of the new home we just bought because we had the balls to request a variance to put up a fence within the setback and beyond the 300 sq feet max--which was put in after we put the contract on the home but before we purchased, something the seller or the selling realtor failed to disclose... and were informed that our dogs should wear shock collars because the people playing tennis find any dogs barking "bothersome to them" (keep in mind my dogs haven't even been to the house yet so they have no idea if my dogs bark, they believe this of ALL dogs). My wife was screamed at and humiliated by these people so much so that the following day I got calls from people in attendance apologizing.. including the HOA presidents wife who invited us over to their home to tell us how to get around the rule of "no fences"...which is put up a hedge row and put a wire fence in it, which was our option 2 but my wife wanted to do the right thing and ask for the variance.

Last week I got blamed for a "paralyized" dog. Did a dental and the next day the dog herniated a disc (its a doxie, happens all the time). According to the owner, her dog was fine for 15 year and it wasn't until I did the dental that her dog had any problem.

But the kicker is today.... the car insurance company had the wrong VIN number on my car. My policy was for a different car, a car I didn't own. I got a notice from FL that I was driving w/o insurance which confused me. I sent all the info in. Today the insurance company picked up my car and could not find it because the paperwork they had didn't match the car's VIN. Apparently when I bought the car the wrong VIN got sent over to them. So both VIN are for the same model, same year, etc.... so I was insured for a car that I didn't own, I did pay for insurance on a car I didn't own, technically. Now I've got this ####storm to worry about because I had an accident in a car that "technically" wasn't insured. The value of the car I can handle but the guy I hit, that's a different story. The insurance company seems to be is just an easy fix, change the VIN on my policy, back date it, etc.... but man, this month has been like nothing I have ever seen in my life. Maybe one of you lawyer can tell me if I need to worry as much about this as I am.

Geez, Doc. I don't feel bad for you, but I do for Mrs. Doc. That's awful. She's WAY too nice to have to deal with that.

On your insurance thing--I don't practice in that area, but I can't believe you'll have a problem, ultimately. It will get fixed. It may be a pain to get there, but when push comes to shove, you paid premiums for the right car, just there was a wrong VIN. Maybe the numbers were transposed or something.

Quote Originally Posted by dethbylt View Post
    Whether it was an electrical anomaly or a sign, treat it as a sign. In the absence of knowing for sure, let it comfort you.
    I am, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Geez, Doc. I don't feel bad for you, but I do for Mrs. Doc. That's awful. She's WAY too nice to have to deal with that.

On your insurance thing--I don't practice in that area, but I can't believe you'll have a problem, ultimately. It will get fixed. It may be a pain to get there, but when push comes to shove, you paid premiums for the right car, just there was a wrong VIN. Maybe the numbers were transposed or something.
    No, I looked at several...all the same model, same features, etc. Either I forwarded wrong spec sheet or dealer gave me the wrong car. Last 4 numbers different so it wasnt a trnsposition error. However the description matched so should not be an issue per insurance company

No, I looked at several...all the same model, same features, etc. Either I forwarded wrong spec sheet or dealer gave me the wrong car. Last 4 numbers different so it wasnt a trnsposition error. However the description matched so should not be an issue per insurance company
    Does your car's VIN match your buyer's order and title?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Does your car's VIN match your buyer's order and title?
    yes

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Joe Btfsplk!
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Awesome story Darrell. No one believes me but I witnessed my 17 month old son waving bye bye to his Papaw...8 hours after his funeral.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Newest update....FL is going to suspend my driver license on Aug 8th for failure to have insurance since the VIN on my insurance card did not match my car. I have that corrected now. Got the card etc.... went to DMV and showed it however I now need a release from the other guy because his car was damaged. Now my insurance campany has paid him for his car already, and is waiting on his medical bills, fully acknowledges they will pay them but I'm suppose to get a release from him?? His lawyer surely told him to sign nothing. Now keep in mind, if I lose my driver license there is the potential for action against my professional license. So my insurance co is drafting something that should satisfy the DMV, if not I will have to hire a lawyer for this despite it being acknowledged as covered.

My insurance company was great at fixing the screw up. It wasn't an issue on their end. I feared they were going to use the technicality to deny coverage but they didn't

I could not write a bigger set of screw up if I was a cheezy hollywood writer if I tried. Its boadering on bizarre
    Last edited by Doc; 07-31-2018 at 06:53 AM.

I always tell my class that the truth is way stranger than fiction and then tell them about some case I've had or ran across it. You're giving another great example.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Awesome story Darrell. No one believes me but I witnessed my 17 month old son waving bye bye to his Papaw...8 hours after his funeral.
    I believe you.

I witnessed multiple miracles (the only way to describe it) as my Dad passed. So many that it requires a complete story to be told. One that I myself would have trouble believing if I hadn't seen it and experienced it along with our immediate family...as well as some of the hospital staff. It continued throughout his funeral and burial.

I will say this, no man witnessed for the Lord more boldly than Dad in his everyday life. He was so proud of Jesus and the Grace of God.
    And that was rewarded with Christs presence at his passing after a very long and painful cross which he had to bare.
    Last edited by kingcat; 07-31-2018 at 11:03 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I guess the 8th isn't really the 8th. Tried to buy a car last night to replace the totaled one, and couldn't do it because my license was suspended despite having a notice from FL saying I had until the 8th. Waiting on a letter from my insurance company that states they have paid off the other driver, which they did weeks ago. They sent it yesterdays via overnight. If this does not satisfy the DMV, I'm just getting a lawyer to get it straightened out because this is ridiculous. I'm being made to feel like a ####ing criminal when I in fact did have insurance, have proof that I had it, my insurance company has already paid they guys car and medical bills. Its absolutely insane.

PS-I would have rather had my arm spontaneously combust from wearing the watch

I guess the 8th isn't really the 8th. Tried to buy a car last night to replace the totaled one, and couldn't do it because my license was suspended despite having a notice from FL saying I had until the 8th. Waiting on a letter from my insurance company that states they have paid off the other driver, which they did weeks ago. They sent it yesterdays via overnight. If this does not satisfy the DMV, I'm just getting a lawyer to get it straightened out because this is ridiculous. I'm being made to feel like a ####ing criminal when I in fact did have insurance, have proof that I had it, my insurance company has already paid they guys car and medical bills. Its absolutely insane.

PS-I would have rather had my arm spontaneously combust from wearing the watch
    Geez, Florida laws seem a bit extreme. My daughter was cited for not having insurance, she didn’t have her card with her. Took her card to the court date and that was the end of it.

I sense this is the other guys douchebag lawyer. They DMV was satisfied that I have insurance but I need the release which should have been granted once my insurance company contacted him a month ago

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    I don't doubt it.

Thanks guys. Its something I'll never forget.
    changing my signature to change our luck.