Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Trump tabs Kavanaugh for SCOTUS nominee

was my 3rd pick on his list of three
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: Trump tabs Kavanaugh for SCOTUS nominee

Interesting that the democrats are going to stomp their feet, pout and obstuct when this is perhaps the absolute best of the four finalist four them. This is the guy who first threw out the ACA was a tax idea. He also supported the collection of metadata, something that could cost him Rand Paul's vote.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Fab Five

I like the guy. He is the best the Dems will get from Trump. If they don't confirm quickly, the President will give them somebody they really don't want.
    Real Fan since 1958

I agree, he is the best the dems could hope for of the three. His rulings have at times favored their side, such as the ACA. But he is probably the second most conservative of the four, just to the left of the Barrett. But he isn't a party mouthpiece like Kagan and Sotomayor. Doesn't matter though. He could have nominated Harry Reid and the left would have objected because their plan is revenge. Their even more childish than the right which is pretty ****ing sad

Pelosi even referred to it as revenge, so it's not like they're hiding their motives.

this will be an interesting fight. Durbin has already called for the Dems to even lose Senate seats if they have to oppose the nomination (seats in red states), which makes no sense. So you oppose this candidate, lose 2-3 seats in the Senate, then you're in even worse position to block the next guy nominated, b/c he gets to keep doing that till the spot is filled.

That's just insane to me. Look, whoever is President will pick a guy who leans his way, that's how it works.

As someone once said, elections have consequences. This is one of the bigger of them, but Trump has nominated perfectly acceptable, if more conservative, candidates, and that's what any GOP President is going to do. This insane hair on fire hatred of Trump is irrational, esp. when it comes to SCOTUS. Jeb Bush would be nominating the same people.

They can hate they don't have the power to pick some activist judge who thinks there's no right to self defense or individual liberty, but they missed that opportunity. Get over it and work to get the most central person you can. Just opposing no matter what is only going to get them in a worse position long term.

Esp. if their solution is to lose even more margin in the Senate. That's nuts.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Citizen, I have never given the Dems strategy high marks. Most of the time it starts and ends with their arrogance.
    Real Fan since 1958

The more fuss the Dems make over the SCOTUS nominee the fewer votes Dems will receive across the board.

Their strategy of "anti Trump" is a loser in the long run, no doubt. It fires up the base, but like the Clinton "it's the economy stupid" remark, people in the middle vote for messages that sound like someone is going to make their life better. Messages that are beltway centric, and anti-Trump is just that and GOP messages that were anti-Obama were as well, just don't resonate.

In the end the media and opposition, both left and right, constantly play right into Trump's hands. He says something absurd, over the top and indefensible, and instead of letting him have to own it they come back and do something even more over the top and indefensible. By contrast with Maxine Waters and these Hollywood loonies Trump comes off as the reasonable middle of the road choice. that's an impressive feat, b/c he's the most over the top President since at least Andrew Jackson, but they always come back and make him look good.

The media is the same. They're in such a lather to run anything negative they can they have run numerous truly false stories with no verification, and had to walk them back. that feeds right into his game, and yet they keep doing it.

Same thing here. What good does it do the Democrats to block this nominee by 1-2 votes then lose those seats for 6 years? Trump will only nominate one of the others on that list, and then it goes right through.

The only way they come out ahead there is if they manage to narrow the margin or take the Senate outright, and that's possible but it's a big gamble with so many democrats up for election in this cycle versus GOP.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I think he (Kavanaugh) is the sacrificial lamb. I think Trump expects him to get Borked and isn't the actual pick but rather the "lets see what they got" and let them waste their big ammo on the second choice, pull it then put out choice one

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I think he (Kavanaugh) is the sacrificial lamb. I think Trump expects him to get Borked and isn't the actual pick but rather the "lets see what they got" and let them waste their big ammo on the second choice, pull it then put out choice one
    That thought occurred to me as well. I don't know if you can plan on that, but I wondered about it.

Best thing that could happen to Trump is the Left goes absolutely bananas over this fight, they win but at the high price of alienating a lot of middle of the road voters ahead of 2018, also firing up the conservative base to turn out, the GOP adds in the Senate and holds the House, then Trump puts up his next nominee and gets the same result on SCOTUS.

I imagine he'll get through and it wont' end up being all that dramatic, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    That thought occurred to me as well. I don't know if you can plan on that, but I wondered about it.

Best thing that could happen to Trump is the Left goes absolutely bananas over this fight, they win but at the high price of alienating a lot of middle of the road voters ahead of 2018, also firing up the conservative base to turn out, the GOP adds in the Senate and holds the House, then Trump puts up his next nominee and gets the same result on SCOTUS.

I imagine he'll get through and it wont' end up being all that dramatic, but we'll see.

I think Kavanaugh is confirmed with about the same margin as Gorsuch.

Everything is taken to the extreme by the Dems. This line from Macbeth perfectly describes every end of America crisis the Dems coalesce around: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Every one will die horribly if Kavanaugh is confirmed. Armageddon. Supernova. Ball of blackened rock.

#resist

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Every one will die horribly if Kavanaugh is confirmed. Armageddon. Supernova. Ball of blackened rock.

#resist
    Is that you, Maxine?
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Terry McAwful

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Is that you, Maxine?
    No, Maxine is better looking

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    No, Maxine is better looking
    People uglier than that woman are all arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    People uglier than that woman are all arrested.
    Some people are ugly on the outside, some on the inside, then there is the rare one that is both. She falls into that last catagory.

I think he’ll be confirmed. Liberals are gonna be sweating bullets hoping 85 year old Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s health holds out. Let something happen to her and Trump will put Barrett up there to replace her. One can only hope.