Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

When We Add Travis, We Enter Season Strong As 2012 And 2015; Stronger Than 2010

I absolutely believe it.

Darryl
    Last edited by Darryl; 06-18-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Re: When We Add Travis, We Enter Season Strong As 2012 And 2015; Stonger Than 2010

I concur.. on paper this team is the recipe you put together..let’s hope we finalize this Reid deal this week

Re: When We Add Travis, We Enter Season Strong As 2012 And 2015; Stonger Than 2010

I don't think it's that good because there's no superstar. No Wall or Boogie, no Davis, no Towns. I'm VERY high on Keldon Johnson, but I don't think he's that level.

I think we'll be better than 2017 (although Fox and Monk were probably both better than anyone on this team), but not quite as good as those 3. Deeper than 2010 and 2012, but not as good.

In the end, all that matters is how this team stacks up against other teams in CBB this year. And I think we have to be one of the top 3, and very possibly the best team in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    I don't think it's that good because there's no superstar. No Wall or Boogie, no Davis, no Towns. I'm VERY high on Keldon Johnson, but I don't think he's that level.

I think we'll be better than 2017 (although Fox and Monk were probably both better than anyone on this team), but not quite as good as those 3. Deeper than 2010 and 2012, but not as good.

In the end, all that matters is how this team stacks up against other teams in CBB this year. And I think we have to be one of the top 3, and very possibly the best team in the country.
    I’ll concur that we don’t have an AD or KAT, but from a formula standpoint and you take what each player does best 1-10, the puzzle fits on paper and it fits what Cal loves.

Fast PG with some Bulldog to him: check
    Some experience back: check
    Shooters: check
    Dependable post guy: will hopefully know soon

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post

I don't feel as confident heading into 2010. Deeper than 2012 but that group had (a) a very transcendent talent in AD, (b) the hardest working and greatest teammate UK has perhaps ever had, and (c) had the greatest percentage 3 pt shooter in Cal era in Lamb.

That said I do think UK has a superstar or 2. Travis is a sure thing. He'll be a projected first or second team all-American. PJ has demonstrated ability to take over games as well. I think KJ should match Knox in production. Hagans seems like he'll be in the middle of the pack in terms of Cal's freshman point guards.

I worry about interior defense a little. No really good shot blockers.

Re: When We Add Travis, We Enter Season Strong As 2012 And 2015; Stronger Than 2010

This tells me all I need to know about Travis...the 2nd paragraph is most impressive:

Peace

Richard (CW)

A two-time All-Pac-12 first-team member, Travis ranked third in the Pac-12 in both points per game (19.5) and rebounds (8.7) this past season. He also led the conference in free throw attempts (243) and field goal attempts (474).

In two games against the Arizona Wildcats this past season and likely #1 overall NBA Draft pick DeAndre Ayton, Travis averaged 21.5 points and 10 rebounds per game. His highest scoring output came in a 33 point game against Washington, and on three different occasions recorded a season-high 14 boards.

Re: When We Add Travis, We Enter Season Strong As 2012 And 2015; Stronger Than 2010

We add Reid, we win it.. I’m 2012 confident If we add Reid..some on here will remember my confidence that year

I'm going to have to see it to believe it. Deep, deeper, yes, I can believe.

I don't think anybody will be as good as John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Karl-Anthony Towns, much less Anthony Davis. I'm not sure there's Eric Bledsoe on the team, or De'Aaron Fox or Malik Monk. Maybe we do match Bledsoe-Fox-Monk, and we can be outstanding, and we can ABSOLUTELY surpass what those teams did (even 2012, technically), but I don't think we'll be better. Or at least, I'll have to see it to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I'm going to have to see it to believe it. Deep, deeper, yes, I can believe.

I don't think anybody will be as good as John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Karl-Anthony Towns, much less Anthony Davis. I'm not sure there's Eric Bledsoe on the team, or De'Aaron Fox or Malik Monk. Maybe we do match Bledsoe-Fox-Monk, and we can be outstanding, and we can ABSOLUTELY surpass what those teams did (even 2012, technically), but I don't think we'll be better. Or at least, I'll have to see it to believe it.
    None of those guys was expected to be as good as they were, except maybe Davis.

Show me the perimeter defense and rim protection on this team. Those are weaknesses, unless frosh step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
    Show me the perimeter defense and rim protection on this team. Those are weaknesses, unless frosh step up.
    Offense wins titles more often than defense

Darryl

How will we play on offense? Will we let guys play to their strength, i.e. Washington and hopefully Travis playing around th3 basket or will let guys like PJ and Reid try to develop perimeter games to improve NBA chances? That did work out well with Patterson in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post

Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    None of those guys was expected to be as good as they were, except maybe Davis.
    Regardless, those players WERE as good as they were. The odds against players not expected to be as good as them actually not being as good as them is far greater than the other.

My confidence is both in our team AND the fact the competition nationally is less than in 2010, 2012 and way less than 2015.

2010 had 2 teams better than any team in 2019 (Kansas, Syracuse)

2012 had UNC

2015 had Duke, Arizona, and Wisconsin

No opponent in 2019 is as strong as the above. Kansas may be pre-season #1 and lost 4 starters; Duke lost all 5 starters. Nevada and UT are the teams that will be our toughest opponents, IMO

Darryl

When We Add Travis, We Enter Season Strong As 2012 And 2015; Stronger Than 2010

I don't know much about other teams but we seem to have all the pieces.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

What drives some batty on here? When guys like me try to project how our freshman each year will do for the upcoming season and we get frustrated during most of the season with how inconsistent they are.

Reid Travis didn’t average 19 and 9 at IMG academy or Oak Hill. He didn’t average 19-9 at Cal poly..he is averaged 19-9 at a pac 12 school, all first team and this will be his 5TH year in college!! We may be adding a 23 year old Man to the roster. Each year he got better and when he was 100% healthy last year, he was a stud.

We will hopefully have 4 players with big time experience in the rotation. when Cal has that many guys, what usually happens? We win BIG... 2010, 2011, 2012,2015, 2017, all years we had experienced players in the rotation, go look at the records we had..

Take those 4 HOPEFULLY and you add two guys like Hagans and Keldon, who are alpha dogs. You add a kid with moxie who can shoot the hell out of the ball with Herro, you hopefully have a dead eye shooter to bring in the game with Baker, and last but not least, I think you have the ultimate trump card in EJ Montgomery. He should be our favorite player. He turned down playing with the 3 small forwards at Duke. As I stated a couple of weeks ago, that kid carries around a quiet confidence in him that just stood out. Kid could be really special by years end. The great thing is, we don’t need him to be special on day one cause we have guys like Quade, PJ, and hopefully, hopefully Reid to carry us in those first 10-15 games.

We may not have an AD or KAT.. but what you may have is a 23 year old man who wants to show the nation how good he is. Reid may not go 19-9 and but has cal has stated, if we win and he goes 14 and 7 and people get to see him play on national TV every game, that will mean more for his future than starring at Stanford where he may get a few games on fox sports.

I really hope we close the deal with this guy. He is the type of college player we have wished WG or Humphries or TJ or Doron Lamb or Briscoe or Justin Jackson from UNC or all those big guys that never left UNC, he is that 23 year old man that can help UK win a championship.
    Last edited by anderwt; 06-19-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    What drives some batty on here? When guys like me try to project how our freshman each year will do for the upcoming season and we get frustrated during most of the season with how inconsistent they are.

Reid Travis didn’t average 19 and 9 at IMG academy or Oak Hill. He didn’t average 19-9 at Cal poly..he is averaged 19-9 at a pac 12 school, all first team and this will be his 5TH year in college!! We may be adding a 23 year old Man to the roster. Each year he got better and when he was 100% healthy last year, he was a stud.

We will hopefully have 4 players with big time experience in the rotation. when Cal has that many guys, what usually happens? We win BIG... 2010, 2011, 2012,2015, 2017, all years we had experienced players in the rotation, go look at the records we had..

Take those 4 HOPEFULLY and you add two guys like Hagans and Keldon, who are alpha dogs. You add a kid with moxie who can shoot the hell out of the ball with Herro, you hopefully have a dead eye shooter to bring in the game with Baker, and last but not least, I think you have the ultimate trump card in EJ Montgomery. He should be our favorite player. He turned down playing with the 3 small forwards at Duke. As I stated a couple of weeks ago, that kid carries around a quiet confidence in him that just stood out. Kid could be really special by years end. The great thing is, we don’t need him to be special on day one cause we have guys like Quade, PJ, and hopefully, hopefully Reid to carry us in those first 10-15 games.

We may not have an AD or KAT.. but what you may have is a 23 year old man who wants to show the nation how good he is. Reid may not go 19-9 and but has cal has stated, if we win and he goes 14 and 7 and people get to see him play on national TV every game, that will mean more for his future than starring at Stanford where he may get a few games on fox sports.

I really hope we close the deal with this guy. He is the type of college player we have wished WG or Humphries or TJ or Doron Lamb or Briscoe or Justin Jackson from UNC or all those big guys that never left UNC, he is that 23 year old man that can help UK win a championship.

I wholeheartedly agree!!

We will hopefully have 4 players with big time experience in the rotation. when Cal has that many guys, what usually happens? We win BIG... 2010, 2011, 2012,2015, 2017, all years we had experienced players in the rotation, go look at the records we had.
    I said last year, give me 3 contributors and a couple of 4 year guys and I like Cal's chances. He has pulled that off plus (hopefully) an added 5th year guy. He will always get the freshman talent, they just need help most years. Should be a fun season.

Absolutely nailed it. IMO, Travis is the #1 player at a new school/entering college this season, even over RJ Barrett.

Darryl

I agree to an extent that cal has his most success with sure fire high level nba all star types on the roster, but he also has huge success with experienced role players in the nba who come back. This roster is full of the nba role player types and has experience to boot which to me makes us a title favorite. It’s gonna come down to whether one or two guys from this roster can seperate themselves from the pack and step up in the tourney to lead us past adversity hen it strikes in the tourney. We need a stud to lean on and a cast around him. We’ve had the stud player more often than not but have lacked the supporting cast at times. It almost takes an AD and a Darius to bring home a banner with cal.
    Go Cats!

Could be a very good team but there isn’t an Anthony Davis on this upcoming team. You can’t make that bold of a statement when you don’t have a once in a generation player like Davis on the roster. May not even be a lottery pick on this team let alone the top 2 picks like the 12 team had.

Just remember with a Travis that he will be a first year player at Ky under Cal. New system for him same as others. Noted that he is a proven player at the college level but let’s also not pretend he won’t have any adjustment period at KY.
    Last edited by Kacat; 06-19-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Gonna be a fun year

Quote Originally Posted by Kacat View Post
    Could be a very good team but there isn’t an Anthony Davis on this upcoming team. You can’t make that bold of a statement when you don’t have a once in a generation player like Davis on the roster. May not even be a lottery pick on this team let alone the top 2 picks like the 12 team had.
    Keldon Johnson is projected as a lottery type; Hagans may be. EJ and PJ both may be 1st rounders. Heck, Cal may work his magic with Travis.

Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post

Darryl
    We're in trouble.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

Maybe D and it’s not like you have to have a lottery pick to win a NC. As mentioned earlier, it’s also about who else is playing for the title and not sure this is a year with a lot of mega teams. Cal is lethal with this combination of talent and experience. So I’m bullish on our chances but not onboard that this team is on par with 2012 version.

It's nearly impossible to match a team that had Anthony Davis, and that team also had some key returning experience to go with talent.

But this group with Travis would be a very balanced team with some much needed infusion of experience and maturity.

On paper maybe not the talent equivalent of other teams, but they could easily have better results. those teams like 2010 and 2015 were more talented and better position by position than teams like the 98 team too, but those guys have rings.

It's a team game. the best TEAM wins, and that's not always the one with the most individual parts total.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    It's nearly impossible to match a team that had Anthony Davis, and that team also had some key returning experience to go with talent.

But this group with Travis would be a very balanced team with some much needed infusion of experience and maturity.

On paper maybe not the talent equivalent of other teams, but they could easily have better results. those teams like 2010 and 2015 were more talented and better position by position than teams like the 98 team too, but those guys have rings.

It's a team game. the best TEAM wins, and that's not always the one with the most individual parts total.
    If we are to compare to other teams, based on my quiet reading of all of these parameters with this particular team, your mentioning of the '98 team rings the most true. There may be some dissimilarity in terms of positioning and style, but they "look" similar, if that makes any sense.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

Our depth will be the key to a title run, not any one player. But I agree he will be as good as almost any top rated recruit.

Davis is a once in a decade (if you are lucky) type talent

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by Kacat View Post
    Maybe D and it’s not like you have to have a lottery pick to win a NC. As mentioned earlier, it’s also about who else is playing for the title and not sure this is a year with a lot of mega teams. Cal is lethal with this combination of talent and experience. So I’m bullish on our chances but not onboard that this team is on par with 2012 version.
    I agree on the AD..we won’t see that again.. my confidence levels is based on, for the first time in 3 years, we got maybe 4 guys with legit experience and who all 4 have had big time games and in the case of Reid, 1 great year and 2 good ones. Plus he is 23, he knows the college game and what it takes ..our potential 4 “older” Guys will bail us out of these bizarre losses we have had the past 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    If we are to compare to other teams, based on my quiet reading of all of these parameters with this particular team, your mentioning of the '98 team rings the most true. There may be some dissimilarity in terms of positioning and style, but they "look" similar, if that makes any sense.
    1998 and 2003 come to mind. Teams with no uber stars but talent and great balance.

But the trick will be if they come together as a group. That's the difference.