Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

OT: worst game of 1 on 1 ever?

Dont' want this to get political, hoping it won't b/c this game was done in humor with the point of not being so, but there's a fact of it that I thought would be intersting here.

Jimmy Kimmel (late night host) and Ted Cruz (senator from Texas) decided to "settle things' with a basketball game, proceeds to charity. It was a good thing to see regardless of politics.

But get this: in a 1 point per basket game, they called it after TWO HOURS with a score of 11-9. They were going to play to 15 and win by 2, and after two hours realized they weren't ever going to get there.

Kimmel, speaking for them both, said "we would like to apologize to the game of basketball." Well said.

11 baskets in 2 hours of 1 on 1. Houston Chronicle described it as "a slow-motion car-crash of half-court basketball."

Just thought it was funny. Maybe it was a classic defensive struggle.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

Re: OT: worst game of 1 on 1 ever?

Both must have taken lessons on offense from Cal.

Wait a minute, you’re telling me that kid that played at Duke for 4 years and won a national title couldn’t score more than that on Jimmy Kimmel?!

All kidding aside, agree with you that it was at least a cool thing for them to do.

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post

All kidding aside, agree with you that it was at least a cool thing for them to do.
    THey both deserve credit for how they handled things. Loser was supposed to give $5K to winner's charity, they both ended up giving $10K to both.

But they both STINK at basketball. So do I, but I'm not fool enough to go play it in a gym full of people and put the highlights on TV. lol They had a good sense of humor about it. After two hours it had to just get hysterical for those who stuck it out.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Both must have taken lessons on offense from Cal.
    It's texas, I wondered if BCG wasn't involved in it somehow.

Till I see the film I'm going to hope it was just tremendously well executed ball line defense.

That kind of stuff goes along way towards healing the political divide.

Kudos to them.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    That kind of stuff goes along way towards healing the political divide.

Kudos to them.
    Yeah, but I hear Darryl has started a protest group. Deeply offended at the lack of offense and no 3 point shots taken.

That’s a basket every 6 minutes in a half court game, lol - not exactly Loyola Marymount. Agree that it was a unique and cool idea though; I hope they raised a nice check for the charities.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
    That’s a basket every 6 minutes in a half court game, lol - not exactly Loyola Marymount. Agree that it was a unique and cool idea though; I hope they raised a nice check for the charities.
    They played 1 on 1, half court, for as long as a regulation college game usually lasts. I have no idea how many timeouts and such they had, but it's possible they had well more court time than a 40 minute college game, and had 20 baskets total.

Re the charity, they each donated $20K plus I imagine there were proceeds from the crowd and such, apparently it was well attended. Heck I'd have gone to see it for giggle.

So which one had 11 points?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    So which one had 11 points?

Cruz won, 11-9. No doubt that will be entertaining on his show as well.

I'd like to see some film. I bet it was funny as heck. there is a still photo of Cruz dribbling and the ball is dang near up to his shoulder height. Probably looks like a bad Will Ferrel movie.

Here's the pic of him dribbling:

Clearly they had some fun with it:

Queue One Shinning Moment.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire