Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: OT: World Cup Soccer Talk

Would love to hear Bakert's thoughts when he sobers up from viewing from Manchester....

England prevailed, 2-1. Word has it that they were very unhappy with VAR and the wrestling match employed vs Harry Kane and others. I say "word has it" because I forgot my gym is closed the next 3 days for new equipment, so my plans on watching went awry and I missed it.

OT: World Cup Soccer Talk

Wow, Columbia with a red card in the 3rd minute v Japan. Have to play a man down, down 1-0, for 87 minutes. Killer!

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Wow, Columbia with a red card in the 3rd minute v Japan. Have to play a man down, down 1-0, for 87 minutes. Killer!
    I don't know soccer rules well, but did that look deliberate and/or an obvious goal to you?

Certainly a hand ball and a penalty kick, but did it really merit a red card?

I've got no problem calling it 3 minutes into the match if it did, it just didn't look that bad to me. The one that gave Australia a penalty kick against France seemed much more egregious to this novice.

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    I don't know soccer rules well, but did that look deliberate and/or an obvious goal to you?

I've got no problem calling it 3 minutes into the match if it did, it just didn't look that bad to me. The one that gave Australia a penalty kick against France seemed much more egregious to this novice.
    Yep. Easy call IMO. Arm doesn't go out straight like that unless you are trying to stop the ball, and it was on target. (Note, I'm a novice too, just an opinion).

Also, IF they had called a yellow, I think it was defensible enough, although I think red was the right call.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 06-19-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Btw, it's killing me. Rooting for Colombia and have them advancing and a loss here could be brutal.

Japan wins, 2-1. Good effort by Colombia...

That was just a dumb defensive move. They likely could have outscored Japan. But down a man changed their whole strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    That was just a dumb defensive move. They likely could have outscored Japan. But down a man changed their whole strategy.
    It really did. Concede the goal, they win, 2-1 IMO. Commit the card, they lose 2-1. In this case I really think it meant 2 goals difference.

I just watched a very controversial goal by Senegal in their 2-1 win. Didn't see it live, but man, it looks bad.

Injured player on sideline about to be waived back on. 4th official tells him to go on, during play (looked like a hockey substitution) and Poland has a back pass to their keeper. But since they didn't see the injured player returning, they didn't notice he could get to the ball first, and when the keeper left his line to go get it, he just dribbled it into an empty net.

Embarrassing type goal, and I hate to see stuff like that. Clearly not the result of any skill, just awkward dumb luck. Very unfortunate.

I just watched a very controversial goal by Senegal in their 2-1 win. Didn't see it live, but man, it looks bad.

Injured player on sideline about to be waived back on. 4th official tells him to go on, during play (looked like a hockey substitution) and Poland has a back pass to their keeper. But since they didn't see the injured player returning, they didn't notice he could get to the ball first, and when the keeper left his line to go get it, he just dribbled it into an empty net.

Embarrassing type goal, and I hate to see stuff like that. Clearly not the result of any skill, just awkward dumb luck. Very unfortunate.
    Official really messed up. And that gave Senegal their 2nd goal. Poland later scored their 1 which means it could (and prob should) have been tied.

Official really messed up. And that gave Senegal their 2nd goal. Poland later scored their 1 which means it could (and prob should) have been tied.
    Really makes me ill. That was a grade-school type play on the very biggest of stages. These matches shouldn't be determined with stuff like that. Just ill.

Is Russia this strong or just not playing anyone?

Just not playing anyone yet. Got a good draw I say.

I agree Russia has had a good draw but some of the “powerhouses” are squeaking by, tying, or losing to teams they should be beating handily so you have to still give Russia credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aussies tie Denmark at 1-1.. I thought Denmark was definitely the stronger team..but as happens often in Soccer, it is not always about talent or strength but taking advantage of an opportunity.

OMG. What a huge error by the Argentina keeper!

Croatia with the 1-0 lead over Argentina. After Argentina's disappointing draw vs Iceland, a loss here....oh boy.

Argentina sitting with 1 point, same as Iceland. If Argentina loses this, and Iceland draws Croatia....look out...

Croatia pounded Argentina 3-0.

Big game now with Brazil and Costa Rica.

Croatia pounded Argentina 3-0.

Big game now with Brazil and Costa Rica.
    Hard to imagine a knockout round without either Argentina or Brazil.

Unforgettable

hand ball is always regarded as major unless it is clearly in advertent But anytime it is a way from the trunk of the body you can expect a card. In the box? Take a seat. It is called football for a reason.
    Real Fan since 1958

Brazil with 2 stoppage time goals for the win. And they deserved it. Were clearly the better team, there was just a lid on the goal for 90 minutes.

Brazil with 2 stoppage time goals for the win. And they deserved it. Were clearly the better team, there was just a lid on the goal for 90 minutes.
    Brazil has to beat Croatia I think

Brazil has to beat Croatia I think
    That's your pick for the Finals?

That's your pick for the Finals?
    No, sorry. Just that Brazil not guaranteed to go through. If they happen to lose they may not make the knockouts? Correct?

Unforgettable

No Brazil. Hard to think about it. Nigeria is always my team when US is not playing.
    Real Fan since 1958

I don’t pretend to have seen anything close to every game, but Belgium is playing the best of any team I’ve seen.

No, sorry. Just that Brazil not guaranteed to go through. If they happen to lose they may not make the knockouts? Correct?
    Well, Brazil and Croatia are in different Groups, and won't meet unless they advance to the Finals. That's what confused me.

Brazil is in good shape to advance. They have 4 points after 2 matches, tied with Switzerland in Group E. Serbia has 3 points, and Costa Rica is out with 0 points.

Switzerland will play Costa Rica Wednesday, and Serbia will play Brazil. Brazil needs a win or draw vs Serbia to advance, and potentially could advance with a loss, although I wouldn't think so (Costa Rica would have to beat Switzerland, and Brazil's loss to Serbia would have to be by the same amount or less than Switzerland's loss. I don't know how the tiebreakers would match up after goal differential.)

The two advancing from Group E will play the two advancing from Group F (Sweden, Mexico, Germany, South Korea).

Croatia is in Group D, with Nigeria, Iceland and Argentina. Croatia will advance (they have 6 points after 2 matches), and Nigeria has 3 points, Iceland 1 and Argentina 1. All three are still alive, although Nigeria has its fate in its own hands.

The Group D advancers will play the Group C guys (Likely France and Denmark. Australia and Peru also in that Group).

I don’t pretend to have seen anything close to every game, but Belgium is playing the best of any team I’ve seen.
    They have looked very good, haven't they? Scoring machine.

When I said Croatia I was thinking Serbia sorry. I believe if Switzerland beats Costa Rica and if Serbia should happen to be Brazil Brazil is out. Interesting also how Argentina got a small breath of life yesterday

Honest to goodness, I get the names mixed all the time. I'm a) poor on geography in the first place, and b) don't keep up, except once every 4 years, with countries and their soccer in the 2nd place. I usually get names mixed up like Croatia and Costa Rica (which makes no sense, except both start with a "C.")

Brazil is sitting on top of their Group, and I expect them to beat Serbia, but it's soccer, and anything can happen. Serbia has some good players and a good team.

Honest to goodness, I get the names mixed all the time. I'm a) poor on geography in the first place, and b) don't keep up, except once every 4 years, with countries and their soccer in the 2nd place. I usually get names mixed up like Croatia and Costa Rica (which makes no sense, except both start with a "C.")

Brazil is sitting on top of their Group, and I expect them to beat Serbia, but it's soccer, and anything can happen. Serbia has some good players and a good team.
    I listened to the whole game Serbia played yesterday. They play physical. Brazil hates that type of game. If the ref has a slow whistle they will frustrate Brazil