Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

OT: World Cup Soccer Talk

This may fall completely flat, but just in case anybody is interested.

I have Brazil defeating Argentina in the finals. Who do you have?

Group A: I have Uruguay and Egypt advancing. Russia looked great v a bad Saudi Arabia team, and they're hosting, but I have them knocked out. Might be a bad move on my part, but I like Egypt.

Group B: Spain & Portugal
    Group C: France & Denmark. Folks are giving up on France because of the draw with the young U.S. team last week, but if you saw the game (which I did), France dominated the game. Just....soccer. Crap happens. I wouldn't worry about France, and think I might should have carried them farther.
    Group D: Argentina and Croatia. Iceland is everybody's darling, but I couldn't pull the trigger on their Cinderella run.
    Group E: Brazil and Switzerland
    Group F: Germany and Mexico. Sweden makes this a tough bracket to pick.
    Group G: Belgium and England
    Group H: Colombia and Poland

I have Portugal over Uruguay, France over Croatia, Brazil over Mexico, Belgium over Poland, Spain over Egypt, Argentina over Denmark, Germany over Switzerland, and England over Colombia.

In the Quarterfinals I have France over Portugal, Brazil over Belgium, Argentina over Spain and England upsetting Germany. I like England, and thought about carrying them farther, but chickened out.

In the semifinals I have Brazil defeating France and Argentina over England, and then Brazil over Argentina.

Hope others have some interest, but if not, won't be the first time I started, and killed a thread at the same time!

(EDITED to correct typos and dumb errors--didn't change my picks, but had stupid things typed like "in the semifinals I have France defeating Brazil.....and then Brazil over Argentina" in the finals. Obviously meant Brazil defeating France.)
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 06-23-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Re: OT: World Cup Soccer Talk

Did you just see the Portugal/Spain match. WOW! Unbelievable. Ronaldo...wow...

That was a lot of fun to watch

What an amazing match. Ronaldo stole the headlines with the hat trick and that ridiculous free kick but the laser half volley by Spain that hit both posts before crossing the goal line was just as amazing. Love seeing 2 quality teams attacking and putting up a 3-3 score early in the group matches.

Now, if they would just stop falling down, then I would have nothing left to complain about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unforgettable

Well I watched Spain-Portugal as I have always watched both teams. But Im bummed out USA did not make it. I’ll watch with passing interest unless something captures my passion.
    Real Fan since 1958

I saw it on twitter, but no, I haven't been able to watch.

I am following via an app on my phone. Gives me great updates and stories and comments like this...
    Quote Originally Posted by udcat View Post
    What an amazing match. Ronaldo stole the headlines with the hat trick and that ridiculous free kick but the laser half volley by Spain that hit both posts before crossing the goal line was just as amazing. Love seeing 2 quality teams attacking and putting up a 3-3 score early in the group matches.

Now, if they would just stop falling down, then I would have nothing left to complain about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I mean, Nacho leathered in a half-volley so sweet you could eat dinner off it... Luscious!

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Well I watched Spain-Portugal as I have always watched both teams. But Im bummed out USA did not make it. Ill watch with passing interest unless something captures my passion.
    Similar to Kentucky missing the NCAA tournament in baseball for me. Sure would've been fun to root for the USA to survive the knockout round and advance. By every metric, they should have had that opportunity.

Just an aside, but there's a (freshman) Kentucky soccer player working out at Heardmont track this summer I bumped into two nights ago. He looks great. Clay Holstad is back from Houston for the summer and working out, training with a particular coach who is fantastic in a small group thing. He's bigger than he was in the fall and looks lightning fast. I hope he's going to be great for UK.

Both my favorite teams are out.. USA and ITaly. Of course, in Italy they are sacrificing their first born over their absence...

Good money bet would be on Belgium.

Unforgettable

On a flight to Manchester where I was first introduced to the "beautiful game" in 2004. Looking forward to watching England on Monday evening as there is little I've ever experienced more exciting than watching England from Manchester. Hoping they can finally advance beyond the group stage.

Hard to believe Italy, the other team I follow in addition to the US, is not there.

Thanks for starting this thread, Darrell!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    On a flight to Manchester where I was first introduced to the "beautiful game" in 2004. Looking forward to watching England on Monday evening as there is little I've ever experienced more exciting than watching England from Manchester. Hoping they can finally advance beyond the group stage.

Hard to believe Italy, the other team I follow in addition to the US, is not there.

Ok, I am officially JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!

Unforgettable

Now that Fulham has been promoted to the Premiership, I may have to plan a trip to Craven Cottage. Always liked Fulham. Leichester City took over my interest when Fulham was relegated.
    Real Fan since 1958

🇮🇸!

What heart that little country has!

🇮🇸 1 🇦🇷 1

That's Iceland 1 Argentina 1.

I haven't been on the Cinderella bandwagon, but that was fun to watch this morning.

Also jealous! Great trip and timing.

[/QUOTE]

Top three Nachos

1) Nacho Grande

2) Nacho Libre

3) Nacho Fernandez

You can get bitter or you can get better....I choose better

I'm taking the Krauts

Schultz, Burkhalter and Klink...best front line in soccer
    Last edited by Doc; 06-16-2018 at 11:22 AM.

I like the Nachos, but I might rearrange them.

I'll have to give some more thought to the Russian Front.

Peru 🇵🇪 0 v Denmark 🇩🇰 1 was a lot of fun, too.

I missed France 🇫🇷 2 v Australia 🇦🇺 1 early this morning, but have caught the other two, and plan on watching what should be a great Croatia 🇭🇷 v Nigeria 🇳🇬 match in an hour if I can get an errand done.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I like the Nachos, but I might rearrange them.

I'll have to give some more thought to the Russian Front.

Peru  0 v Denmark  1 was a lot of fun, too.

I missed France  2 v Australia  1 early this morning, but have caught the other two, and plan on watching what should be a great Croatia  v Nigeria  match in an hour if I can get an errand done.
    Unfortunately had some things to finish up at the office this morning, but looking forward to catching this next game as well - tough Group.

I'm a good 30 minutes or so from being back home. Hopefully I won't miss much of the next game.

Germany dominating Mexico on everything but the scoreboard as Mexico leads 1-0. The Germans are firing at will but cant get it in the back of the net

Brazil vs Switzerland. pulling for the Swiss since they wear Puma, the Bagley brand...but Brazil will win

Switzerland played a great game to get the draw, although a bit frustrating to see them foul Neymar 10 times in the match.

Had a blast rooting for Mexico this morning. Love their passion and they have a heckuva coach.

Was on the golf course this morning and then fathers day dinner this afternoon evening..so missed these good matches today.

Brutal start for the pretournament favorites.

France was very unimpressive and fortunate to win, and they end up being the only one of the favorites to win. Germany loses, Brazil, Spain and Argentina all tie.

Mexico!!!

Sweedend pretty much dominating control over Korea and had a point blank shot blocked..but still nil-nil

Sweden comes away with the VAR-assisted win, 1-0.

Belgium clearly better than an inspired Panama team, but Belgium seems almost lethargic. Of course, they're still getting good shots, but scoreless at halftime. (I'm "working" at home this morning).

Belgium has scored. That is the thing about soccer. If your defense is stong you can be a less talented team and stay in the game. For that reason I think Iceland is going to be a handful. They counter attack very effectively.

Only 8 different countries have won a World Cup.. I find that interesting....

Belgium played a great 2nd half. 3-0 FINAL.

I'm going to go to the gym during the 2nd half of the England game. Would like to watch it all but I'm pushing it today as is.