Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

OT: World Cup Soccer Talk

Quote Originally Posted by ribbonfish View Post
    What a game. I thought we had it up by 2 but Belgium’s lucky first goal made them breath again. Now I have to go with Belgium all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Classy Japan team and fans. Great story here, talking about how the team and fans cleaned up the stands and the locker room before they left - spotless - and left a thank you note in Russian for their hosts. And that, guys, is after a devastating, punch-to-the-gut loss.

Great role models.

http://time.com/5329250/japanese-fan.../?xid=tcoshare

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Classy Japan team and fans. Great story here, talking about how the team and fans cleaned up the stands and the locker room before they left - spotless - and left a thank you note in Russian for their hosts. And that, guys, is after a devastating, punch-to-the-gut loss.

Great role models.

http://time.com/5329250/japanese-fan.../?xid=tcoshare
    Yeah, we do that usually for the stadium nowadays but didn’t know players do this for the changing room. It comes from the proverb meaning something like “cast no dirt into the well that gives you water”. We believe that it is an act the best will always do.

Personally, I want to be like that eventually.

Re: OT: World Cup Soccer Talk

Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    Good money bet would be on Belgium.
    Two more games to go.

Unforgettable

Belgium winning will send a shock wave through Brazil as no one in America could comprehend. I attended the semi finals and finals of the 96 Olympics in Athens Ga. Brazil lost to Argentina in the semis and was playing in the consolation game for the bronze. Our seats were behind the Brazil bench for the Bronze game. Their fans were delerious. They were trying to get down on the field to go after the coach before the game started. The gestures needed little interpretation except for one. The fans were pulling down on their lower eyelids. I asked the guy next to me who spoke English what it meant. He said their is no translation. It is the ultimate. Essentially it meant watch your back, we are going to kill you. The coach returned barbs and it became a shouting and gesture match. Instead of cheering for their team to win bronze the fans jeered at the coach. It was a running battle between the fans and the bench the whole game. It was an ugly a situation as I have ever witnessed in person.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 07-06-2018 at 06:12 PM.
    Real Fan since 1958

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Belgium winning will send a shock wave through Brazil as no one in America could comprehend. I attended the semi finals and finals of the 96 Olympics in Athens Ga. Brazil lost to Argentina in the semis and was playing in the consolation game for the bronze. Our seats were behind the Brazil bench for the Bronze game. Their fans were delerious. They were trying to get down on the field to go after the coach before the game started. The gestures needed little interpretation except for one. The fans were pulling down on their lower eyelids. I asked the guy next to me who spoke English what it meant. He said their is no translation. It is the ultimate. Essentially it meant watch your back, we are going to kill you. The coach returned barbs and it became a shouting and gesture match. Instead of cheering for their team to win bronze the fans jeered at the coach. It was a running battle between the fans and the bench the whole game. It was an ugly a situation as I have ever witnessed in person.
    Yeah, that Brazil team lost the first game to Japan in the group stage. It was one of the biggest upsets made in Japan’s soccer history. I was lucky to get out of Orange Bowl unhurt. Some of their fans were very nasty.

Last edited by ribbonfish; 07-06-2018 at 09:59 PM.

I think I am adopting Belgium (hope that is not kiss of death). Cannot pull for Russia so they are the closest thing to an outsider left in the tourney.

Impressive win by England over Sweden today, 2-0. They’ve had some really stellar play in goal overall and did a very nice job executing on set pieces today. It’ll be interesting to see how the host team Russia plays against Croatia, but hope the Croats take them down.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
    Impressive win by England over Sweden today, 2-0. They’ve had some really stellar play in goal overall and did a very nice job executing on set pieces today. It’ll be interesting to see how the host team Russia plays against Croatia, but hope the Croats take them down.
    Croatia *should* win. Croatia is #20 in the FIFA World Cup rankings and Russia is #70. 538 has them as a 61/39 favorite. England was 62/38 over Sweden. Of course, they had Brazil 64/36 over Belgium, too.
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance—it is the illusion of knowledge."
    - Daniel J. Boorstin

I watched England/Sweden this morning. Still can’t rationally like guys falling over like Pukies falling over in the lane after faking a charge...smh

Unforgettable

Croatia with the first extra time goal in the WC!!! But their keeper seems to have a hamstring injury. Hoping they can hang on!

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    Croatia with the first extra time goal in the WC!!! But their keeper seems to have a hamstring injury. Hoping they can hang on!
    Amazing match - tied up!

Just to set the stage:

Semi-final # 1: France v Belgium, today

Semi-final # 2: Croatia v England tomorrow

Saturday: 3rd place game

Sunday: World Cup Final

I'm going to try to take late lunches today and tomorrow and catch what I can. Those are some terrific matchups.

I am a Belgium Fan as of now. And, although of Scotch/Irish Descent, I am cheering for England ....

Well Damn. I am the Kiss of Death. Now I know why UK football program cannot be successful...

lol.

Well, I missed it. Missed lunch too. That's what happens when you miss a few days of work, I guess. Maybe tomorrow.

England up 1-0. Check out their fans....

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses...12538360795146

England up 1-0. Check out their fans....

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses...12538360795146

That's just awesome.

I AM THE KISS OF DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Given that. GO FRANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Croatia has a total population of 4.2 million people and is in the World Cup final.

We have 4.2 million players registered with US Soccer alone and can’t even make the field. Against a much easier qualifying group.

Who wins, France or Croatia?

I've been terrible with my picks. France is a better team to me, but is Croatia a team of destiny?

And I'll also be interested in the England v Belgium 3rd place game.

Unforgettable

Who wins, France or Croatia?

I've been terrible with my picks. France is a better team to me, but is Croatia a team of destiny?
    I've found that as bad as I am at picking something I know about I'm even worse picking soccer games. Part of it is lack of knowledge, but part is that I think soccer is like baseball in that it's true "on any given night" and that is particularly true at this level.

FWIW, 538 has France with a 59% chance of winning. They have Belgium at 51% over England.

The FIFA World Rankings have France at #7 and Croatia at #20. Belgium is #3 and England is #12.

Finally, and maybe most importantly, the oddsmakers have Belgium -150 and England +120. In the final France is -220 and Croatia +180.

I have spent a lot of time in France and Croatia (and England and Belgium for that matter), but have a lot more affinity for Croatia, but that may be due to their underdog status. I am pretty sure France will win but I really hope Croatia does.
    Last edited by Bakert; 07-12-2018 at 01:47 PM.
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance—it is the illusion of knowledge."
    - Daniel J. Boorstin

Nice stats and info, Bakert. I'd almost say that Croatia might be a good "bet" at +180 with a 41% chance of winning, but I haven't worked that math; just seems so.

I need to pick teams to root for in the games; I don't want to just watch without a rooting interest.

12˝ hours to go.

Church at 8:30, World Cup Final at 10, lunch during 2nd half, 3-4 mile run at 2pm, shag soccer balls at 3 pm.

Weather permitting...

I'm pulling for the frogs. Hope they don't surrender too soon

You can get bitter or you can get better....I choose better

but I do like Crotia's uni's but then I'm a fan of the checkerboard, even on UK

GOAL France

own goal....Croatian defender headed it into his own net off the corner kick

Croatia scores. 1-1