Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Unforgettable

NCAA Approves Two Rules Changes; Redshirt and Transfer

1. Football players can now play in up to four games at anytime during the season and still be redshirted.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...-opportunities

2. Players can now transfer more easily.

The Division I Council adopted a proposal this week that creates a new “notification-of-transfer” model. This new system allows a student to inform his or her current school of a desire to transfer, then requires that school to enter the student’s name into a national transfer database within two business days. Once the student-athlete’s name is in the database, other coaches are free to contact that individual.

The previous transfer rule, which required student-athletes to get permission from their current school to contact another school before they can receive a scholarship after transfer, was intended to discourage coaches from recruiting student-athletes from other Division I schools. The rule change ends the controversial practice in which some coaches or administrators would prevent students from having contact with specific schools. Conferences, however, still can make rules that are more restrictive than the national rule.

Additionally, the proposal adds tampering with a current student-athlete at another school to the list of potential Level 2 violations, considered a significant breach of conduct.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...ontact-process

I am assuming players still need to sit out a year?
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance—it is the illusion of knowledge."
    - Daniel J. Boorstin

Interesting pro-player rules. I assume the five years to play for rule is still in effect, so you can't use a player for four games and continuously redshirt him.

I am also assuming that you have to sit out the year, as that would be a major change even beyond the ones listed.

Re: NCAA Approves Two Rules Changes; Redshirt and Transfer

With the way I interpreted the rule, if I were coaching, any true freshman that looked like they could potentially help would get snaps in the first four games. Then I’d redshirt or keep playing as necessary. Free evaluation!

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKERCATFAN View Post
    With the way I interpreted the rule, if I were coaching, any true freshman that looked like they could potentially help would get snaps in the first four games. Then I’d redshirt or keep playing as necessary. Free evaluation!
    I'd probably do something similar, but might rotate them. Maybe ⅓ to ½ of the freshmen that are questionable in any one game.

One exception - a position of great need, like a quarterback. Might want to hold them until the final four games.

In that case, if you had played them early (first four games) just as a tryout, decided they wouldn't really improve the team, and then sat them - but as the season progressed, injuries stacked up and you had to play him in the last couple of games, it would be nice if that didn't burn an entire season. So you might want to start with somebody like that in the first of the final four games, just so you didn't burn a year.

Also, maybe an injury occurs in the middle of the season, but it's not season-ending. QB1 out for a month, QB2 out for a game or two, QB 3-Freshman could step in, play the game or two in the middle of the season, then sit and see if needed. If not, redshirt preserved.

Lot of possibilities I think, depending on player, position, and how you handle it. Could provide needed depth in the middle of the season while relatively minor injuries healed.

Or give them a couple of months to get used to college, learn the system and hit the weight room, then have fresh, healthy bodies to end the year (and by then you might know if you’ll need to save one game to let them play in a bowl.)

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKERCATFAN View Post

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Interesting pro-player rules. I assume the five years to play for rule is still in effect, so you can't use a player for four games and continuously redshirt him.

I am also assuming that you have to sit out the year, as that would be a major change even beyond the ones listed.
    The "5 to play 4" rule remains in place. I, like you, are assuming the rule about sitting out a year remains otherwise it would truly be a dramatic change.
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance—it is the illusion of knowledge."
    - Daniel J. Boorstin