Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

  2. #2

    Re: More bowl games?

    Ridiculous. Making a bowl is already meaningless, so we're adding 3 more?

    I'd love to see them cut back to no more than 25 bowls, but I know it will never happen.

    I honestly wonder who watches these crappy bowls. Someone must, because they clearly make money, but I don't know who it is. I'm a sports junkie, but I don't watch games matching Sun Belt and CUSA teams, or CUSA teams and American teams. Someone clearly does though.

  3. #3

    Re: More bowl games?

    They have trouble filling bowls with eligible teams and selling tickets to current games. Why add three more?

  4. #4

    Re: More bowl games?

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    They have trouble filling bowls with eligible teams and selling tickets to current games. Why add three more?
    Because enough people watch them on TV to make them profitable. It's really that simple. I don't understand why, and I'm certainly not one of them, but they do.

  5. #5

    Re: More bowl games?

    Great. Love me some more college football. Like the idea of one of them having a tie to Sun Belt, too (selfishly).

  6. #6

    Re: More bowl games?

    Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    Because enough people watch them on TV to make them profitable. It's really that simple. I don't understand why, and I'm certainly not one of them, but they do.
    I’m certain gambling plays a large role in viewership.

  7. #7
    Fiddlin' Five
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Moore Haven, FL
    Posts
    6,984

    Re: More bowl games?

    It's like anything else. Wherever there is money to be made, someone will be trying to get that money.

  8. #8

    Re: More bowl games?

    Why do we have 64 teams in the NCAA and could have more? I seem to remember having 16 when I was a kid and you pretty much had to win your conference to get in. A lot of you thought UK should have been in the NCAA baseball tourney and they couldn't even go .500 in their conference. Why the double standard?

  9. #9

    Re: More bowl games?

    One reason is Division I college basketball has about 320 teams, so only about 1/5 (20%) make the tourney and 299 baseball teams, so, again, it is just above 20% in the tourney, while FBS college football has about 128 schools and now 84 (about 67%) will make a bowl game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    Why do we have 64 teams in the NCAA and could have more? I seem to remember having 16 when I was a kid and you pretty much had to win your conference to get in. A lot of you thought UK should have been in the NCAA baseball tourney and they couldn't even go .500 in their conference. Why the double standard?

  10. #10
    Fiddlin' Five
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Moore Haven, FL
    Posts
    6,984

    Re: More bowl games?

    Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    One reason is Division I college basketball has about 320 teams, so only about 1/5 (20%) make the tourney and 299 baseball teams, so, again, it is just above 20% in the tourney, while FBS college football has about 128 schools and now 84 (about 67%) will make a bowl game.
    AND........football is the biggest money maker, by far. 😉

  11. #11
    Comeback Cat BigBluePappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    3,380

    Re: More bowl games?

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    Why do we have 64 teams in the NCAA and could have more? I seem to remember having 16 when I was a kid and you pretty much had to win your conference to get in. A lot of you thought UK should have been in the NCAA baseball tourney and they couldn't even go .500 in their conference. Why the double standard?
    Terry, you really are pushing the agenda to where I will no longer try to defend you or give you the benefit of the doubt. It is very late and anything I could say would be a personal attack so I will simply leave you with a question.
    Do you sit and try to think of things to make folks red in the face or does being a total butt-nugget just come naturally?

    P.S. My beloved football cats finished a paltry 4-4 in conference; do you think that should have prevented them from going to a bowl?
    Compromise: An amiable arrangement between husband and wife whereby they agree to let her have her own way.

  12. #12

    Re: More bowl games?

    I think folks should look at them selves and their comments. When you point your finger at someone else you have 3 pointing back at you. Why does anyone care if everyone is in a bowl game, if the sponsors aND cities are willing to host them? It gives the players and fans somewhere to go over the holidays and gives players a chance to improve their skills with an extra spring practice

  13. #13
    Unforgettable
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    On the South Bank of the Cahaba River
    Posts
    11,154

    Re: More bowl games?

    Quote Originally Posted by HerbTarlek View Post
    I’m certain gambling plays a large role in viewership.
    And with recent developments on gambling it will grow even more. NCAA betting on the come. The betting ruling will save ESPN.
    Real Fan since 1958

  14. #14

    Re: More bowl games?

    Why should it concern any UK fan how many bowls there are because UK will be competing to go to any those lower level bowls anyway. And why should the number of bowl lessen to importance "say like the Music city Bowl?" The question of why the addition of bowls should be addressed to the sponsoring corporations.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •