Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kentucky lands 3-star QB Nik Scalzo from Florida

# 18 dual-threat QB in class of 2019, per 247Sports.

Illinois, Florida Atlantic, UNLV and Buffalo among his other biggest offers, per Ben Roberts.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 05-14-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Re: Kentucky lands 3-star QB Nik Scalzo from Florida

Is that good?

Jon Hale says one source calls him a "Baker Mayfield twin."

Purportedly, he's the only QB UK may sign in 2019, they like him that much. They were talking about taking two QBs previously.

I like the talk.

Super Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post

Yea 100% until you get a better offer...

Judging by the picture, his throwing motion is grossly flawed. He drops the ball and winds up ala Tebow. Slow and cumbersome. Also, really easy to strip from behind. He better fix that, otherwise he's going to fumble a ton and throw a lot of interceptions. Honestly, I question his coaching to this point. That's terrible. It should have been fixed long ago.

Hopefully that's not typical and the picture was taken out of context, like he was scrambling or something. Still though, very much not good.

seeya
    dan

“I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.” Hunter S Thompson

Steve Wiltfong of 247 sports really likes him. Said we're all in on Connor Bazelak too and plan is to take 2 qbs

Josh Edwards thinks we want Connor Bazelak. Wiltfong says Nik doesn't get rattled on the big stage. Good decision maker. Staff calls him a Baker Mayfield twin

Quote Originally Posted by HerbTarlek View Post
    Judging by the picture, his throwing motion is grossly flawed. He drops the ball and winds up ala Tebow. .
    I think thats his end zone dance. (jk)

If that is the actual size of his hands the kid has some huge Pinchers there.
    Last edited by kingcat; 05-14-2018 at 10:09 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
    Is that good?
    If Lane Kiffin saw enough to make an offer it is likely a good sign.
    Real Fan since 1958

Several Ivy League offers, must have some smarts

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    He has a low release, off his shoulder. Sort of like Phillip Rivers.

Hope for the best, this might not sound good but does this staff know what a good QB is?
    I say that with Johnson in mind but lets think back Johnson was taken as an after thought and was not ever going to be the starter at UK.
    So back to the question does this staff know what a good QB is? At the very least the jury is still out and way out in left field.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

I'm not so sure SJ was such an after thought. I know it's been spun that way but there were other solid choices, even on the Wildcat roster at the time for a back up qb. Personally i believe that although CMS hoped his QB would live up to the hype, others on staff convinced him that might not be the case.
    I also believe they saw a lack of leadership skills and self discipline

And that they (Gran and Hinshaw) already had scoped the football landscape to find a diamond in the rough. With those qualities in hand, Hinshaw's expertise eventually came to the forefront through Johnson.
    The man is a whiz and knows how and who to recruit...especially at QB. Coach H. was ranked as one of the top 10 recruiters in college football (while at UT) in 2011 by Rivals.Com. And he had major input in some high powered record setting offenses at both Cincinnati and UT..so he knew what it would require

As I recall, Johnson was his sole choice after an extensive search for a dual threat QB. I really think he was Hinshaw's man all along..but he was not the head coach.
    Last edited by kingcat; 05-15-2018 at 01:16 AM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Still sticking by my thought the starting QB job was handed to Barker and Johnson was never going to see the field.
    Mind you we are still waiting to see the high power offenses that were on display at other schools.
    Just go down the list of QB's recruited to UK and see how they have fared besides Johnson whom I really liked and supported because of his heart and desire to win.

If UK was wrong on some of the recruited qbs then so we're many traditional powers

Jon Hale says one source calls him a "Baker Mayfield twin."

Purportedly, he's the only QB UK may sign in 2019, they like him that much. They were talking about taking two QBs previously.

I like the talk.
    does this mean UK has a Heisman trophy winner in the near future?

You can get bitter or you can get better....I choose better

Kentucky lands 3-star QB Nik Scalzo from Florida

Might as well. Already had the #1 pick in the NFL Draft.

He has a low release, off his shoulder. Sort of like Phillip Rivers.
    Yeah, but Phillip Rivers is 6'5"-6'6". That's how he can get away with it. By being tall.

Larry Vaught told me he likes Scalzo

We've offered 3 of his hs teammates

I see no traditional power on this list, oh but several ivy league schools are after him also.

# 18 dual-threat QB in class of 2019, per 247Sports.

Illinois, Florida Atlantic, UNLV and Buffalo among his other biggest offers, per Ben Roberts.

Good on the Ivy League, means he has intelligence, important for a qb

The guy that owns Phillips Academy where Nik works told LV he,s solD on Nik bigtime. Says he thinks UK does as good as anyone in the country evaluating qbs. Said look at how Williams and Jones blew up after UK had already offered. Said lot of schools worried about his height like they were Mayfield and Manziel

It really is hilarious to see people question the staff's ability to evaluate QBs. "Who's this skinny guy Jones? " Nick Saban took him. "Who's this guy Williams?. Looks like he can't throw". Hinshaw works with him, he refines his throwing motion, Mark Richt takes him.

Not only that, but half of the criticism here about football recruiting is about how recruiting Ohio isn't the ticket. Have to get those Florida guys. Well, this kid is the highest rated QB in Florida and will surely get more high profile offers later.

We should be more worried about holding onto him than about him not being good enough.

Shoes, don't worry about it. You know there are a few here wired to negativity. That's fine, let them be miserable

Show me that's all I am saying, who has truly developed under this staff?

Jones will never see the field at Bama but you hold onto that.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
    It really is hilarious to see people question the staff's ability to evaluate QBs. "Who's this skinny guy Jones? " Nick Saban took him. "Who's this guy Williams?. Looks like he can't throw". Hinshaw works with him, he refines his throwing motion, Mark Richt takes him.

Not only that, but half of the criticism here about football recruiting is about how recruiting Ohio isn't the ticket. Have to get those Florida guys. Well, this kid is the highest rated QB in Florida and will surely get more high profile offers later.

We should be more worried about holding onto him than about him not being good enough.
    Shoes, do you really think Jones is anything more than a practice player and an emergency in case one of the others gets hurt? Or if one of the hand ful of qb's had not transferred out because they didn't start?

I was totally down on the recruiting of Steven, not because of lack of ability which in reality he doesn't have a ton of talent, not SEC talent but he has a huge heart and will to win which hte staff had no idea of. Now, here is how this wb guru and OC of ours recruited him and you can go back and check. They told him to send a 'tape' of him throwing, he an offer from Ark State and a SWAC team and nothing more, and somehow our staff said he was the best of 18 juco qb's that year. From a tape, not seeing in person but a tape. Now here is my problem, first they had no idea what they were getting other than a backup qb that they desparately needed because they had just lost 2 qb's to transfer since Stoops told them they would not have a chance to start, Barker was his guy period even though he had not earned it nor has he to this day.
    Now SJ was the best of he best according to our OC and qb coach, now who do you think was also available that year coming out of one year of juco, who had no other D-I offers? Some kid just drafted #7 in the lastest NFL draft, Josh Allen. Maybe they didn't even look at him ever, or knew about him, or saw a tape of him throwing.

I love what SJ did, took me awhile, but he had a big heart. But he wasn't the best qb available that year.

And how much did Barker improve under this current leadership? So there is plenty of room for criticism. Plus if these two coaches are so great, why were they in Cincy and not at a big program in the SEC since at least one had spent time in the SEC if not both?