Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Yi Action Camera....155 degree lens....any after-market or EASY hacks?

I have a basic Yi Action Camera that worked well this weekend for a specific purpose. User error caused me not to get the maximum benefit out of it, but maybe next time.

But for another use, the 155 degree lens will be far too wide and not produce a usable video. I was wondering if there was an easy hack or something after-market that would allow a "zoom" or reducing the degree so that you could get a better video.

I did a quick search and found some hacks that showed people disassembling the thing with knives and it looked like it would be easy to break if you don't know what you're doing. Plus it looked like that was a "permanent" type solution, and I'd prefer something that could be an option, but not the only thing.

Any ideas? Not sure if a GoPro device/accessory would work, even if they have one that does this.

Re: Yi Action Camera....155 degree lens....any after-market or EASY hacks?

This probably won't work, but I just ordered a 92 degree lens from Banggood (I think) for $3.95. For the price, hey, why not?

I watched a couple more videos and it looked easy enough--you basically have to pop off the front cover, then you take out the hot glue that holds the lens in place (it screws in, but since it's a fixed focus, you don't screw it in all the way--the hot glue holds it at that place). When you remove the hot glue, you unscrew the current lens, then put in the replacement lens. You attach a HDMI cable when you put the new lens in, and when it is perfectly focused, you don't screw it in anymore, then you hot glue it yourself.

Looks like fun to try. I had hoped for a better solution (read: easier, snap on, snap off kinda thing), but that doesn't look too bad.

Good luck!!!
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Yi Action Camera....155 degree lens....any after-market or EASY hacks?

Thanks. I'll let you know how the project comes out.

I bought the Yi for one purpose (as a standalone video camera for my son's soccer games) and just didn't like it for that purpose. Too wide of an angle to see things well, although if you are going to leave it static, it needs to be that wide. So I won't discard the 155 degree lens. Hopefully this will be a 5-minute hack that I can change as needed.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    This probably won't work, but I just ordered a 92 degree lens from Banggood (I think) for $3.95. For the price, hey, why not?

I watched a couple more videos and it looked easy enough--you basically have to pop off the front cover, then you take out the hot glue that holds the lens in place (it screws in, but since it's a fixed focus, you don't screw it in all the way--the hot glue holds it at that place). When you remove the hot glue, you unscrew the current lens, then put in the replacement lens. You attach a HDMI cable when you put the new lens in, and when it is perfectly focused, you don't screw it in anymore, then you hot glue it yourself.

Looks like fun to try. I had hoped for a better solution (read: easier, snap on, snap off kinda thing), but that doesn't look too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Thanks. I'll let you know how the project comes out.

I bought the Yi for one purpose (as a standalone video camera for my son's soccer games) and just didn't like it for that purpose. Too wide of an angle to see things well, although if you are going to leave it static, it needs to be that wide. So I won't discard the 155 degree lens. Hopefully this will be a 5-minute hack that I can change as needed.

I am sure CitizenBBN is watching this thread like I am

lol.

The lens is on the way. May be here in as little as two weeks. I can't wait for the project. I may videotape it and put it on YouTube for others to see.