Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Mass shooting in elementary school in Connecticut, 27 dead

OT: Mass shooting in elementary school in Connecticut, 27 dead

Per CBS News, 27 are dead, at least 14 children.

Don't know if that number is correct, but horrific tragedy unfolding.

One gunman is dead. May have been two gunmen.

Re: OT: Mass shooting in elementary school in Connecticut, 27 dead

Terrible

As one that sends three to school everyday, I couldn't imagine he pain.

Physically ill.

Saw a video of a 3rd grade little girl describing the shooting.

3rd grade.

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

This is simply hard to believe. The reports coming in are the shooter was the father of one of the children.

Darryl

Fab Five

It's so horrible I can't even begin to describe my feelings.

I only wish the person who did it had not been killed so that he could have been used by the CIA for exploring new advanced torture techniques. Being killed was to easy for someone like this.

Why is the only think one can think of to say. I am more happy we are homeschooling when I hear these stories. I cannot imagine the loss or feelings of the parents.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Dear Lord. What a horrible, horrible thing. I have no words.

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

A little boy was just interviewed and said he "was happy we are alive"

Darryl

School is locked. Required I.D. before entry. Video surveillance when entering.

As much security as you'll usually find at a school.

By the way, what do you guys think about interviewing the kids during a tragedy like this? I watch their interviews, listen to them, while not happy they exist. So I am feeding the beast, I guess.

Shouldn't interview the kids. This blows my mind....there is nothing that can be done to anyone that warrants taking your frustrations out on any child. I am the father of a 5 year old and a 7 week old....so this stuff hits me pretty hard. I think all schools need to enhance security and make you enter a security code to enter the schools. Either that or put armed military at the entrances and include a sniper tower. Just senseless violence.

Spineless evil bast&#@
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I don't even know what you do with that kind of pure evil. I don't know how you stop it and I don't know of any torture harsh enough if you kept him alive for 100 years to do it.

Reports indicate the 24-yo shooter is dead. His mother was a kindergarten teacher at the school. He went to the school, started shooting in the principal's office then went to his mother's room, and killed her along with many kindergarten age children in the room.

Killed his mother who was a teacher at the school....then went to the school to do this. My daughter is 5 and would be in KG if we were not home schooling. Simply, a tragedy carried out by a sick individual...

Now confirming he killed his mother and father in their house before going to the school...

According to police, Lanza, 24, is suspected of killing 27 people -- 8 adults and 18 children -- at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ryan...school-shooter

Don't know if it's the police that were the math majors, or the newspaper reporter....

VirginiaCat, I wouldn't feel comfortable because my kids were home schooled. Could've been a home invasion just as easily. Had one of those in our fair hamlet not too long ago, too (fortunately, the person at home had the gun, rather than the invader.)

Only way to protect is in an enclosed bomb shelter. And don't go shopping at the mall. And don't go to the movies. Well, you get the idea.

Now saying Brother of shooter found dead at apartment in Hoboken...

This guy's girlfriend and another friend are currently missing. The person they arrested in the woods nearby in camo is this guy's younger brother. This is going to end up one twisted tale even more senseless than before.

The Fox news reports aren't clear where the mother was killed yet. Doesn't mean a thing of course as most of this is coming from off the record reports.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    Now saying Brother of shooter found dead at apartment in Hoboken...
    Fox is saying his younger brother was the one in the woods. Wonder if he had 2 brothers. Imagine his GF is dead somewhere too.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    Now confirming he killed his mother and father in their house before going to the school...
    Just FWIW, I've not seen this confirmed anywhere. What I've read is that he killed his mother, who taught at the school, at the school before killing the students in her classroom. Also, unlike what you indicate below, I've not seen that his brother has been found dead but rather that he has been taken into custody. That by the AP at 3:01.

Super Kitten

This just gets me so emotional. I have 5 kids aged 17, 14, 10, 5, and 3. I just can't imagine dropping my kindergardner off at school and he never returns. I am really at a loss for words...what a tragedy...
    Its FOOTBALL time in the Bluegrass...and some basketball talk!!!!

Horible, horrible, horrible. I just can't understand people that can go this far.

State police says 20 kids killed at school, 6 adults, & the killer himself. One adult killed in NJ, probably the killer's brother.

My heart breaks for these poor babies and their families. Children are so innocent and pure in a world of sick people and in this case the evil spawns a sicko. Just so sad.
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    Just FWIW, I've not seen this confirmed anywhere. What I've read is that he killed his mother, who taught at the school, at the school before killing the students in her classroom. Also, unlike what you indicate below, I've not seen that his brother has been found dead but rather that he has been taken into custody. That by the AP at 3:01.
    You are right..lots of bad info coming out..one minute brother dead,, another he is under arrest, another etc etc.

Need to step back from the emotion. Sorry guys. This really had me in tears. I simply cannot imagine dropping my baby off to school and then never seeing her again.

Rupp's Runt

As everyone that's been on here for awhile knows, I am a Deputy Sheriff working for a small agency in SW Florida. I work Court Security in the county Courthouse.
    Our county high school, one of our middle schools and the elementary schools are across the street and a block over from the Courthouse.
    This is one of the scenarios that absolutely concerns me above all others that could happen here. And trust me, just because I live and work in a relatively quiet community, we still have our share of people that are not "quite right", if you follow my meaning. We have an inordinately high number of sexual offenders here, but we keep very close tabs on them. I mean very close. But we have not had a gun related crime around here in a couple of years now(we did have a retired Deputy Sheriff that was working as a bail bondsman get killed with a .270 rifle by a criminal out on bond that he was going to revoke bond on and return to jail), and before that it had been well over ten years since we'd had a homicide here.
    I know that all it takes is one incident, and it can happen anywhere. I am as prepared as I possibly can be for a shooting in the Courthouse. I have already mentally prepared myself for what I know I may have to do. But with all of these school shootings lately, I too am concerned about having to go over to the school and deal with an active shooter. I keep extra handgun rounds in my patrol car, as well as my shotgun and AR-15 and plenty of 5.56 mm for just such an occasion.
    I pray and hope that I NEVER have to use any of them. However, being as I am the closest Deputy to the school besides the School Resource Deputy, I also realize that I may be the first or second Deputy to have to confront an active shooter at the school if it were to ever happen here. Should I ever have to I know that I will have probably arrived too late to save some of those precious children, but I will stop that shooter by whatever legal means necessary to end the incident.
    I hope it never happens here. This one particular scenario of an active school shooter is the one that concerns me above all other things.
    Now we'll here all of the usual crap about needing more "gun control". These kinds of incidents are almost impossible to prevent. And there will ALWAYS be guns around, no matter the amount and scope of "gun control" in place. And these kinds of incidents have happened all over the world(Russia, Africa, Philippines among places that come to mind)so it is clear that gun control is not the answer. So how do you stop this stuff? I don't know, except that stopping the incident is always an after-the-fact result of response with the way these incidents always play out.

Super Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    As everyone that's been on here for awhile knows, I am a Deputy Sheriff working for a small agency in SW Florida. I work Court Security in the county Courthouse.
    Our county high school, one of our middle schools and the elementary schools are across the street and a block over from the Courthouse.
    This is one of the scenarios that absolutely concerns me above all others that could happen here. And trust me, just because I live and work in a relatively quiet community, we still have our share of people that are not "quite right", if you follow my meaning. We have an inordinately high number of sexual offenders here, but we keep very close tabs on them. I mean very close. But we have not had a gun related crime around here in a couple of years now(we did have a retired Deputy Sheriff that was working as a bail bondsman get killed with a .270 rifle by a criminal out on bond that he was going to revoke bond on and return to jail), and before that it had been well over ten years since we'd had a homicide here.
    I know that all it takes is one incident, and it can happen anywhere. I am as prepared as I possibly can be for a shooting in the Courthouse. I have already mentally prepared myself for what I know I may have to do. But with all of these school shootings lately, I too am concerned about having to go over to the school and deal with an active shooter. I keep extra handgun rounds in my patrol car, as well as my shotgun and AR-15 and plenty of 5.56 mm for just such an occasion.
    I pray and hope that I NEVER have to use any of them. However, being as I am the closest Deputy to the school besides the School Resource Deputy, I also realize that I may be the first or second Deputy to have to confront an active shooter at the school if it were to ever happen here. Should I ever have to I know that I will have probably arrived too late to save some of those precious children, but I will stop that shooter by whatever legal means necessary to end the incident.
    I hope it never happens here. This one particular scenario of an active school shooter is the one that concerns me above all other things.
    Now we'll here all of the usual crap about needing more "gun control". These kinds of incidents are almost impossible to prevent. And there will ALWAYS be guns around, no matter the amount and scope of "gun control" in place. And these kinds of incidents have happened all over the world(Russia, Africa, Philippines among places that come to mind)so it is clear that gun control is not the answer. So how do you stop this stuff? I don't know, except that stopping the incident is always an after-the-fact result of response with the way these incidents always play out.

I work at a small community college and I just got on the safety committee at my school, and in response to a school killing at a community college in Casper, Wyoming(a deranged son brought a high powered bow and knives into a classroom and killed the teacher, who was his father. Before the father died he attacked the son and caused the killer to be mortally wounded, therefore no students were hurt. The son had killed the father's live in girlfriend before he went to the school, and yes this is eerily similar to today, just without guns) , we were meeting today to discuss our emergency response procedures for this type of attack. I found out about the attack today 5 minutes before our meeting, and needless to say it definitely put a pall over our meeting. What I think this shows everyone is that you can't stick your head into the sand and act like it can't happen in your community because it most certainly can, and you have to be prepared. I know that I know what we need to do and now we just need to get it implemented and make sure everyone understands how to react to reduce the loss of life. Unfortunately I am not sure that you can prevent loss of life, you just have to have a plan in place with people who can react to that plan in an effort to reduce the casualties. I hate being that dark, but this type of thing takes you to dark places.

All I know is that with my kids I have a hard time even talking about it, I just get to emotional...
    Its FOOTBALL time in the Bluegrass...and some basketball talk!!!!