Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

St Augustine Fla

Starting to plan my summer trip and this year heading to St Augustine.
    Looking for all ideas and experiences.

Thanks as always.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Re: St Augustine Fla

IIRC, Dan has some experience there. Not sure, though. Sounds like an interesting place.

Rupp's Runt

Spent a day there when we went to Amelia Island last September, can't say we saw a whole lot. But I'll offer what I can.

We enjoyed the lighthouse and it is some good exercise walking to the top. We took a carriage ride to see some of downtown, it was good, but not sure I'd do it again. A bus tour might be easier. Or skip it completely if you are there for the week. The beach was nice and large (low tide when we were there), but we did not get in the water more than ankle deep so I can't comment on that really.

I ate at the Sunset Grill off of A1A. It was good, I can't remember what we had, but I remember we enjoyed the meal.

Rupp's Runt

The Lighthouse is a good experience. Lots of steps, but the view from the top is awesome.
    "Believe It Or Not" has a museum there. Lots of very interesting, bizarre, and neat stuff to be seen.
    One of my favorite places is the old Spanish fort, right on the beach. Lots of very early Spanish/American history there.
    There are tons of good places to eat in and around St. Augustine. I can't recall any one place in particular, but if you go hungry it's not because there aren't places to eat there.

St Augustine Fla

Spent quite a bit of time in around St Augustine...Tons of stuff to do and see

Alligator Farm, Lighthouse, MarineLand, Lightner Museum, Flagler Museum/College

...and then there is all of historical sites, Castillo San De Marcos, Fort Matanzas, Ponce de Leon fountain of youth, downtown courtyard, everything in the historic district is the oldest thing in the country, literally...school, hospital, drug store, store, streets you name it. I recommend taking one of the trolly/tram tours which takes an hour or two. Stay on it for the whole round trip, they’ll take you past everything, you can pick out what interests you along the way,and then go back and take the tours.

We usually stayed a bit south of St Augustine at Crescent Beach, lots of condo, and house options. Beach is big and wide, they allow vehicles on the beach as well, but it’s not as chaotic as Daytona. Surf fishing is outstanding, Atlantic side has a big tide swing compared to the gulf side, I usually fish with the tides. My favorite bait store in the world is located at Crescent Beach, Devils Elbow ( get me a T shirt xxl). The Windjammer condos is my favorite spot, 2b/2b nicely appointed easy beach access. It’s been a few years since I’ve been so check the walk overs and dune lines. There have been a few canes blow through since we’ve been and they can really screw with the dunes and access from the condo to the beach.

Tons of B&B’s, I always cut a deal with Ms. boss where I’d agree to stay at a B&B for a week, but the 2nd week we’d stay on the beach. The B&B’s we liked the most were the Bayfront Wescott House (haunted) St Francis Inn (haunted) and the Bayfront Marin House.

Restaurants... there’s a bunch. Couple of my favorites is Saltwater Cowboys which is a bit south of St.Augustine, sits in the middle of a bayou/marsh. Harry’s Seafood Bar and Grille is in the historic district (really good) great atmosphere.

Saltwater Cowboys used to have turtle on the menu, and they still may, which I got in trouble with. They call it “cooter”, so I asked the waitress how’s the cooter? She said sweet and tender, I said do you think I’d like it? She said never met anyone that didn’t, I said do you like cooter, she said sometimes, it’s different, I said I think I’ll have some cooter, does it take long? that’s when I got kicked under the table....

Anyway, it’s a beautiful area, with tons to see and do, also shops out the ying/yang, or just hang on the beaches. The foods good, people are nice...one thing, parking sucks! If you stay downtown ask about parking when you make reservations. When we drove in from the beach I always parked at the “ole time drug store” which is kind of at one end of the historic area, close to the Castillo fort.

Enjoy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I knew we had an expert here...

Vacation booked and staying at Crescent Beach, really looking forward to the week starting June 30th.

What about live music? Good spots?

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Spent a day there when we went to Amelia Island last September, can't say we saw a whole lot. But I'll offer what I can.

We enjoyed the lighthouse and it is some good exercise walking to the top. We took a carriage ride to see some of downtown, it was good, but not sure I'd do it again. A bus tour might be easier. Or skip it completely if you are there for the week. The beach was nice and large (low tide when we were there), but we did not get in the water more than ankle deep so I can't comment on that really.

I ate at the Sunset Grill off of A1A. It was good, I can't remember what we had, but I remember we enjoyed the meal.
    Amelia Island is a nice afternoon trip from St Aug. Downtown is some nice shops and old southern charm type stuff. Shark teeth exploring is big as loads of teeth get washed up especially after storms.

If you get a chance, head to Remy's on the River which is just south of Jacksonville. Its a true Biker Bar, and has a giant Trump / Pence sign out front. Its not a pseudo biker bar, its a real one....but we enjoyed it.

We have dont have much experience in st Aug as we go to Amelia island and stay at one of the B&Bs
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

St Augustine Fla

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Amelia Island is a nice afternoon trip from St Aug. Downtown is some nice shops and old southern charm type stuff. Shark teeth exploring is big as loads of teeth get washed up especially after storms.

If you get a chance, head to Remy's on the River which is just south of Jacksonville. Its a true Biker Bar, and has a giant Trump / Pence sign out front. Its not a pseudo biker bar, its a real one....but we enjoyed it.

We have dont have much experience in st Aug as we go to Amelia island and stay at one of the B&Bs
    Love Amelia Island, it’s on my list of retirement spots...came real close to buying the condo we usually rent.... timing wasn’t right.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Love Amelia Island, it’s on my list of retirement spots...came real close to buying the condo we usually rent.... timing wasn’t right.

Loved the area. Wish the water was a little better, if so, it might would be #1 on my list. The downtown area was very enjoyable. If you buy that condo....get a spare bedroom, I may want to visit

What’s the best beach in the area, condo is on crescent beach.

St Augustine Fla

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    What’s the best beach in the area, condo is on crescent beach.
    I’d say right out your back door. We stayed on Crescent Beach several times and the beach there was fine. Of course the dune line could have changed. For us ease of access is key and Crescent beach had a pretty low cross over without a lot of stairs.

St Augustine Fla

Vacation booked and staying at Crescent Beach, really looking forward to the week starting June 30th.

Not sure about honkytonk’n in the Crescent Beach area, but up the road in St Augustine there are plenty... my honkytonk’n days are few and far in between, now days...

Is st Augustine within walking distance of crescent beach? Looking for the best Oysters also.
    Really appreciate all the help here.

St Augustine Fla

Is st Augustine within walking distance of crescent beach? Looking for the best Oysters also.
    Definitely not within walking distance, it’s like a 10-15 minute drive. Parking is tricky business, try down by the Ole Drug Store. It’s down on the end kind of across from the fort is. Plus IIRCC, right behind the drug store there’s a haunted cemetery.

As far as oysters, you know what they say, only order oysters in the months with an “R”. Having said that, I’ve eaten a lot of good oysters in May. It’s basically a reference to water temperature, the colder the better. It’s been a few years since I’ve been in the area, but Saltwater Cowboys was one my favorite restaurants and their oysters were big fat, fresh, and juicy.

St Augustine Fla

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

I found my pocture of Remi's on the River

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

St Augustine Fla

Let the fun begin!! Have fun, stay safe....

Keep us posted.

St Augustine Fla

Any updates on your adventure?

St Augustine was amazing, if I ever go to Florida it will be in that area.
    Stayed at Cresent Beach(Tarpon Run) beach was less then a mile away, Ocean was just amazing and weather great.
    Had dinner at Johnny’s Oyster bar on the Main Street across from the fort, sat high enough to overlook the bay and watched the sun go down.

Would highly recommend St Augustine.