Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Well, Infinity Wars was mildly popular

Well, Infinity Wars was mildly popular

I'm not a huge Marvel Cinematic Universe groupie, but I follow it some.

Anyway, Avengers Infinity Wars is of course out this weekend, and just became the largest grossing opening weekend in history, passing Force Awakens. Only by a couple of million, but that's unadjusted and is likely to go up some. Moreover, worldwide opening weekend is $630 million, and they haven't even opened in China yet.

Not really important, I just find the success of Marvel to be interesting. This is coming off Black Panther, which is over $1.3 billion, and on the heels of success after success over 18 films and 10 years. Total gross for the series is getting up to $16 billion on just ticket sales. Goodness knows what the merchandising comes in at for all 18 movies and all those characters.

It's like UCLA's title run, without the rampant cheating.

IMO what's most interesting is that in the 80s they couldn't buy a hit with their huge library of characters and stories, went bankrupt, and had to sell off lots of their properties like selling the X Men to Fox, Spider Man to Sony, etc. And THOSE companies coulnd't make a buck at them either until the last 10 years. I just find that evolution interesting.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Re: Well, Infinity Wars was mildly popular

Very interesting. Also interesting that DC cannot get it right...

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Good point, and IMO that's what is interesting about it. It's not just automatic that these movies or any movie is a hit. Marvel didn't have it right (albeit when they also weren't nearly as in charge) with early movies, DC has had better luck of late, but neither DC nor Fox or Sony etc. with their various bought Marvel properties have hit the stride Marvel has hit.

DC did break some real ground with Wonder Woman, finally showing that a female lead can carry a movie, even a more male oriented superhero action movie, but if Marvel manages to get a big hit with Captain Marvel they'll be right in that race too.

Just interesting to me, the business and economics of it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

I hope Marvel wraps up soon and starts back over when my girls are old enough to watch. Not sure what soon is but my oldest is 3 and loves super hero stuff.

I grew up a DC fan, maybe they will get it right eventually. I keep hoping DC will announce they are taking a break and will start over when they get our stuff together.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I loved Wonder Woman...and I actually liked Justice League...And Gal Gadot...

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    And Gal Gadot...
    They got that part right!

Well, hopefully Robert Downey, Jr. can take the time to make Sherlock Holmes III now. He and Jude law make a great Holmes & Watson combo.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Well, hopefully Robert Downey, Jr. can take the time to make Sherlock Holmes III now. He and Jude law make a great Holmes & Watson combo.
    Should be doing it after his Dr. Doolittle movie, which I bet he could do well with. Avengers 4 will be out in a year, not sure what is on the plans for MCU Phase 4 with Iron Man, but there is a lot of speculation Marvel will shut down Tony stark and Captain America at some point.

We'll see. Those characters have been BANK, and they may be less willing to kill them off than the comics, which lets face it were desperate at times to just not go bankrupt and invented the concept of jumping the shark.

Sherlock Holmes 3' is officially happening!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...tandhp&ffid=gz

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Sherlock Holmes 3' is officially happening!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...tandhp&ffid=gz
    I'm there! Nice to see an actual opening date. Thanks for the update & link, kingcat!
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.