Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Ian

Hurricane Ian

Hope those of you in the storm path stay safe--please check in when you can.

We have a place in Sumter County and Mrs. BEvans is there right now. They have a Tropical Storm Warning--she (and our neighbors, FWIW) has decided to stay put. We're inland and not close to water so we think she'll be OK there. But they are expecting a ton of rain (over 14").
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 09-27-2022 at 08:43 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Re: Hurricane Ian

I am on the other coast but will still get plenty of rain. will be in the wet quadrant (North East). Sunday AM weather was beautiful but since Sun afternoon is has been raining.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Stay safe, all. My brother-in-law and his family, as well as my adult nephew and his family live in Tampa. Not sure what their plans are yet.

My prayers go out to all of you as well as my grandson and the greats who live in Miami. They should be on the sheltered side but like Doc said, they should get a metric butt ton of rain and winds before all is said and done.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

To all our friends in Florida, please heed all the warnings and take care. I have 2 families of relatives in Tampa and have lost contact with them. They are all in zones a and b. I am hoping that they are further inland and stuck in the parking lots headed north.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

BIL/SIL say they're fine. They have gas stove and grill, water and beer.

Nephew may depart, but hasn't decided yet.

Looks like the Mouse and friends may need water wings.
    seeya
    dan

Son has a soccer game near Knoxville Saturday afternoon. I'm hoping they move the game to Friday night. Looks like rainy, gusty weather possible at kickoff.

Bombino

This one is looking to be super intense!

At this time, this stream is showing cams from Sanibel and Ft. Meyers. The storm surge is already up 6+ft and things are getting much worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2aticerEcs

Rupp's Runt

Just so you know, at the suncat05 house here...........WE AIN'T SKEERED!!
    MOLON LABE!

Rupp's Runt

This is Hurricane Charlie all over again, but likely will be a bit worse. Man, I remember those 4 hurricanes within 6 weeks time back in 2004. I worked non-stop for 2 months.

But this one may be one for the record books.
    MOLON LABE!

It was about 3x as big as Charlie was. It pushed way more tidal flooding that Charlie did too.
    Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    This is Hurricane Charlie all over again, but likely will be a bit worse. Man, I remember those 4 hurricanes within 6 weeks time back in 2004. I worked non-stop for 2 months.

But this one may be one for the record books.

Hurricane Ian

My limited experience with hurricanes came in S Fl in Jensen Beach, in the late 70’s early 80’s. The thing that stuck with me was there are three stages of the storm, 1) preparing for the storm 2) the storm coming and going, and 3) the aftermath.

David in 79’ was my worst experience and it skirted the entire east coast of Fl as a cat 2, pushing a cat 3. with a early landfall just south of me at Singer Island/N Palm Beach, before veering east and marching north.

Preparing is chaotic with not knowing the direct path. Plus dealing with the logistics and supply availability.

The storm coming and going is nerve racking with the uncertainty of survival. Hunkered down, imagine the worst t-storm you’ve been in, and then double the wind speed and rainfall. Instead of 30/40 minutes it’s 4/5 hours as it’s coming, then do it all over again when it’s going. While all of the racket going on outside around the power fails early on, then the water is gone, hopefully the roof and structure is still in place.

The aftermath is probably worse than all of it, no power, no water, everything is tore up , and or flooded, with debris everywhere. Along with no power, water, there’s no cooking, no shower etc, then throw in S. Fl mosquitos, and noseums….. good times. Plus along with the destruction, there’s usually death in close proximity to everywhere you have to go.

Prayers to those in the path of Ian…
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

We fared well here yesterday and through last night. Got up about an hour ago, looked around outside, and so far we've had no issues with the house, roof, etc. We didn't even lose electricity, except for a roughly two second surge yesterday afternoon. Lots of twigs and branches in the yard of course, but I'll clean all that up tomorrow, as it is supposed to rain all day today, and I am not going out in that unless I absolutely have to.

From the reports I am hearing, the folks down in the Ft. Myers area unfortunately bore the brunt of this storm. I know quite a few Lee County LEO's, as well as Sheriff Carmine Marceno, and know they are ALL working their butts off right now. Prayers offered up for all down there in the direct impact areas.
    MOLON LABE!

Ft. Myers got hammered. A lot of Kentucky folks in that area and with property in that area. No one in my family, but I know a number who do.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Still no power for me but it was a beautiful day so no A/C is necessary. The Sanibel Causeway was washed away and they are finding bodies floating in canals in Ft Myers & Naples. Not a good scene left by Ian.

Sanibel island Lighthouse before/after
    C826336E-5C7A-46B0-9C43-5A10E04C0590.jpg

Hurricane Ian

Whoa... That's awful.

Good grief, the destruction of the light keepers house is astounding.
    seeya
    dan

I'm hitting and running here, but the Miami online newspaper has some drone videos of Sanibel Island and Fort Myers and it just makes your stomach turn.

Ft Myers Beach before/after
    5E2FECF9-8B91-4B11-B331-0912AB5614B5.jpg

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    Ft Myers Beach before/after
    5E2FECF9-8B91-4B11-B331-0912AB5614B5.jpg
    Wow! Just wow!

Gut-wrenching.

Sanibel island Lighthouse before/after
    C826336E-5C7A-46B0-9C43-5A10E04C0590.jpg
    That is an unreal picture. Thank you for sharing

We did well. Lost one huge branch off a tree, and a banana stand of about 15 shoots. 3 survived so should grow back. Spent yesterday afternoon and this morning with a chain saw. Only fell off the ladder once resulted in a cut face, leg, arm and ankle. Was wise enough to throw the saw as I was tumbling

My son who lives in Orlando got power back yesterday but is still homebound due to lack of gas.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

If someplace is going to get nailed by one of these, FL is.probably the best as we know what to do and how to do it. Damage is massive but give us 6 months and you won't know anything happened

It’s gonna take way longer than 6 months Doc. The Sanibel bridge will take 6 months to a year to complete before any work can be completed on homes or businesses. Fort Myers will heal quicker, but it won’t be within 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    If someplace is going to get nailed by one of these, FL is.probably the best as we know what to do and how to do it. Damage is massive but give us 6 months and you won't know anything happened

It’s gonna take way longer than 6 months Doc. The Sanibel bridge will take 6 months to a year to complete before any work can be completed on homes or businesses. Fort Myers will heal quicker, but it won’t be within 6 months.

Having "survived" the 2004 season where 4 major hurricanes, 2 being direct hits on house/town/County (Charley, Jeanne, Ivan and Francis) reeked havoc statewide. I have seen how this state recovers. There will be inconveniences for a long time but the area will be fully functional by 6 month.

And I worked everyone one of those for my employer, Allstate Insurance in 2004 and Wilma in 2005. This one is a different animal this time. Mainly because of the money it’s gonna take to settle all of this from an insurance perspective. Between $60-$80B are the estimates I hear on the news. It’ll take a year for that to get coughed up at a minimum. Then the rebuild can happen in earnest. That may be quicker here, but it’s not gonna be in 6 months. I did some work from home stuff for Allstate for Hurricane Michael from 2018…..and they still aren’t settled yet…..
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Having "survived" the 2004 season where 4 major hurricanes, 2 being direct hits on house/town/County (Charley, Jeanne, Ivan and Francis) reeked havoc statewide. I have seen how this state recovers. There will be inconveniences for a long time but the area will be fully functional by 6 month.