Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

RIP Harry Anderson

I loved Harry Anderson's work, really enjoyed Night Court, and he was also a very entertaining stand up magician/comic. I don't think that show works with anyone else in that role, it set the right irreverent but responsible tone needed for that role.

It's zany, had a hard time getting on the air b/c it wasn't a typical sitcom and was really edgy in some ways for its time (esp. the Dan Fielding character).

Powerful show with Anderson and John Laroquette on that show.

He was quite young, only 65. He intentionally retired from big time "showbiz", and for a long time had a magic shop down in New Orleans, moved to Ashville some years ago.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Re: RIP Harry Anderson

Dang, that is young.
    RIP, Harry.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Early bit I remember from early 80s, pre Night Court. Harry starts at about 2:30

Last edited by CitizenBBN; 04-16-2018 at 09:23 PM.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

RIP Harry Anderson

Oh, man. I hate to hear this. Bummer. Rest in peace, Judge Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Oh, man. I hate to hear this. Bummer. Rest in peace, Judge Stone.
    He was a classic grifter comedian, had that whole street smart trickster thing down pat.

I loved Night Court.

Sad news

Very sad to learn about this.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Really good obituary summary of "Harry the Hat". I love real characters, and Harry Anderson was one for sure.

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/4/...ht-court-magic

Thought this summed him up pretty nicely, a man who never lost perspective or let fame and fortune go to his head:

Being famous just didn’t suit him. “To me, it’s a little bit embarrassing to be in the public eye that much. People start asking me about what I think about the situation in the Middle East … just because I’m in the public eye … as if I have some kind of knowledge or opinion that matters,” he told LH Magazine. “It’s embarrassing. And after all those years I spent on the street, anonymous, and with intended anonymity, that was a jolt that I never quite adjusted to.”

With all these Hollywood types who love to lecture us on every conceivable topic as if they have some special insight just b/c they are on a stage, it's so easy to root for guys like Harry Anderson. The problem is they all figure out Hollywood and if they don't get sucked into it they make their money and go home, so we don't get to enjoy their work any more.

Doubt too many are fans of Harry's unique street style as I am, but here's an obscure bit he did with just a piece of felt. He's best known for his hustles, but this kind of captures Harry's style as well as anything.

and this is the trick that became his signature for those who didn't follow his street act

Needed a quick break, decided to watch a couple of his bits.

RIP Harry Anderson

Those were great. Sitting in a hotel room and had a few minutes and thoroughly mesmerized. Can you imagine being in the audience while he was doing his act?

Thanks D.

I like a lot of comedy and such, but I'm particularly attracted to guys that to me are very "real" in some way. Harry the Hat developed all of this on the city streets literally trying to make a living like any of those guys.

I like actors and entertainers that never really buy into their fame, etc. but are just people. Even when they're doing the act you can tell they're just folks.

Even though he's doing "geek tricks", there's a "real" feel to his work for me. it's polished but with a certain grit to it, and it's entertaining b/c of his life's path and not b/c he just shocks with language or saying shocking things.

glad you liked them. It was late, needed a quick break, have been finding some good stuff of his out there.