Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Very hopeful after Spring Game!

Especially considering all the key players we had out. You can see the overall depth of talent has improved. AJ Rose came to life tonight and as Benny said we could have a 3 headed monster at rb with those 2 and Siheam. We're in good hands at qb with Wilson and Gunnar. Myself and buddy had the same takeaway: Terry may have the bigger upside with his running ability and a little stronger arm but Gunnar is a very polished, accurate passer under control. Both Stoops and Gran after the game said we could start the season playing both as they have different skill sets. The defense obviously is improved with more good players
    Kash led in tackles with 8. Oh, Wilson was 10-24 and Hoak was 14-25. The biggest weakness we saw was lack of a down field threat at wr. Perhaps an incoming frosh like Marvin Alexander can fill the bill. I heard Freddie Maggard express the same concern. Otherwise he expressed my optimism on steroids, saying he'D never left a Spring Game so enthused about the upcoming season

Re: Very hopeful after Spring Game!

Let's talk about football guys...

Terry, thanks for the post.

I saw the game differently (at least the first half) than you did, but that's fine. I'm happy to have a different point of view than mine, and hope it's a lot more accurate. Point is well-taken that everything is vanilla in the game as well.

Back to football.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Let's talk about football guys...
    Good advice...I deleted all of the ying/yang stuff, including my own small diatribe (that was pretty much misplaced anyway).

I will watch the 2nd half of the game tonight, and hope to see some more positive aspects. I may re-watch the first half as well without such a critical eye and hope it is better the 2nd time around.

I was VERY happy with Rose. He looks the look.

[QUOTE=Darrell KSR;498681]Good advice...I deleted all of the ying/yang stuff, including my own small diatribe (that was pretty much misplaced anyway).

I will watch the 2nd half of the game tonight, and hope to see some more positive aspects. I may re-watch the first half as well without such a critical eye and hope it is better the 2nd time around.

I was VERY happy with Rose. He looks the look.[/QUOTE

Durability is the big question mark with him, often kept out of practices with nagging little injuries according to Coach Gran but if he can stay healthy, we may just have a two-headed monster in the making in the backfield.
    Compromise: An amiable arrangement between husband and wife whereby they agree to let her have her own way.

Schedule is a lot more difficult

Unforgettable

Had to laugh. On the right side of threads UK announced attendance at over 36,000 . Either a huge lie or they are using the new math they teach in the education crept. The bottom.level was about half full. Mick said 21,000. That would be the absolute high.
    Why not just be honest and report the truth instead of making a fool of themselves

I caught a replay of the game. Enjoyed watching it. Bottom line it's a spring game, so hard to take anything from it overall, except Rose seems to be who we all hoped he would be. I could not care less about the attendance numbers, I just want to see them play. I think 2018 is going to be a good year for UK Football. Better than many expect it to be. Tough schedule be damned.....we're not the pushovers we use to be and Stoops has worked to make sure it doesn't happen anymore. I think there are some that no matter what Stoops and staff does, it's not Blanton Collier or Jerry Claiborne. Stop it. Be nice, support these boys. I'm more hopeful this spring than any other in many years for Fall to get here. I've got a neighbor that played for Fran Curci (what are the odds, me having a neighbor in northern California that played football for UK and Curci?) and he cannot wait for this year. Loves everything that's going on around UK.
    My Photography Page; http://rogerelliottphotography.com/

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    I caught a replay of the game. Enjoyed watching it. Bottom line it's a spring game, so hard to take anything from it overall, except Rose seems to be who we all hoped he would be. I could not care less about the attendance numbers, I just want to see them play. I think 2018 is going to be a good year for UK Football. Better than many expect it to be. Tough schedule be damned.....we're not the pushovers we use to be and Stoops has worked to make sure it doesn't happen anymore. I think there are some that no matter what Stoops and staff does, it's not Blanton Collier or Jerry Claiborne. Stop it. Be nice, support these boys. I'm more hopeful this spring than any other in many years for Fall to get here. I've got a neighbor that played for Fran Curci (what are the odds, me having a neighbor in northern California that played football for UK and Curci?) and he cannot wait for this year. Loves everything that's going on around UK.
    Coastie, I have been watching UK football games since the 1963 season, a long time

I have sat thru a homecoming game where Houstons score was like a basketball score and ours was like a bad bSeball team. But I didn't leave until the clock was all, zeros. Made my date mad because she wanted to leave in the third quarter after we all got the light standards swinging pretty good

I have wTched really bad teams and really good teams. Bad coached teams and well coached teams. Teams with good character players and teams full of thugs. Probation and no probation.

For me after all I have witnessed and coaches who have cheated to win and more than one, I do t think it is too much to ask for our athletic department to be honest. I could care less if there were zero at the scrimmage or 65000. Just don't think I am stupid and accept your lie that 36,000 plus were in that stadium that I could watch on TV and know Micks figure of 21,000 was a tad on the high side.

And since this is supposedly a discussion board I should be able to give my opinion that I saw one qb throw several passes w/o completing one of them and have Terry tell us how great we looked and then lie about what my prediction was or wasn't for last years team. And for the record I was as close as Terry was

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    Coastie, I have been watching UK football games since the 1963 season, a long time

I have sat thru a homecoming game where Houstons score was like a basketball score and ours was like a bad bSeball team. But I didn't leave until the clock was all, zeros. Made my date mad because she wanted to leave in the third quarter after we all got the light standards swinging pretty good

I have wTched really bad teams and really good teams. Bad coached teams and well coached teams. Teams with good character players and teams full of thugs. Probation and no probation.

For me after all I have witnessed and coaches who have cheated to win and more than one, I do t think it is too much to ask for our athletic department to be honest. I could care less if there were zero at the scrimmage or 65000. Just don't think I am stupid and accept your lie that 36,000 plus were in that stadium that I could watch on TV and know Micks figure of 21,000 was a tad on the high side.

And since this is supposedly a discussion board I should be able to give my opinion that I saw one qb throw several passes w/o completing one of them and have Terry tell us how great we looked and then lie about what my prediction was or wasn't for last years team. And for the record I was as close as Terry was
    Mr Jazy et. al,
    First, let me add clarity that it was not I who commented anything about the crowd size, except to say I did not care the size.

I also never leave any event till 00:00 is on the clock, and then I'm watching the court/field till pretty much everyone else is gone also.

Let me add another point of view between the two extremes that adorn our little community, I'm 54 yrs old, born in 1963, and I've attended ONE UK game....UK vs Alabama in October of 2006/7/8 not certain which year. It was football, and I had the immense pleasure of meeting Barrister, Mick, ET, and one other gentleman who is no longer with us. I can't remember his screen name.

I might be the only one on this board with such a horrible attendance record. It was never an option for me growing up in Ashland to attend a UK game. I don't know why, I never asked and my parents never offered although we would religiously sit in front of the radio or tv and listen to every game. I share that because I believe so many of you don't realize how lucky you are to attend games weekly, tournaments, etc. TO THIS DAY, I rely on every report offered here. I'm premium here and nowhere else, so I rely on every ones insight to share their thoughts. I want to hear about the players, their game day activities, their stories.

I simply want each of you to realize I take ALL your posts with a grain of salt, but more importantly I read the majority of everything on here. Each of you are my source of information, I KNOW Terry is going to pump sunshine about football, I know Doc is our local vet and catches a lot of the AAU circuit for our bball recruits. I know Mick is, well he's our Mick and I'll kick his ass if he ever comes to San Francisco again and I don't get to see him again! Jazy I picture as a Bronson Pinchot in Beverly Hills Cop with his uniform store (not really, but just saw him on TV) who is the Ying to Terry's Yang. Jeeep is our local clown/Santa that has a heart bigger than the whole state. Darryl and Puma with their facts, percentages, and who can and can't make free throws are the local statisticians, (I don't read a lot of those posts). Darrell, well, he's the butt of a lot of jokes on here, because we all know he can take it. If ever needed, I want him defending me, bottom line. And no summary would be complete without a mention of Citizen, the resident tech wizard and seller of gentleman's club maps in the greater Kentucky area!

There are so many more that make this board what it is. Do I wish we had a bit more football, yes, absolutely, but I don't know how to get it. Basketball has been and always be our life blood, Cal is ensuring our brand is front and center throughout the entire year, not just the season and we love him for that. Football is becoming something we can be a bit more proud of as we talk about our University. Just realize there are those of us that are so envious of each of your positions in our big blue universe. I'd give anything to go to games as often as you guys do. You talk to ANYONE I came in contact with during my 27 years in the CG and each one will tell you one thing for certain without hesitation.....He's from Kentucky and he loves his Wildcats! They'd never believe I've only been to one game in my entire life!
    My Photography Page; http://rogerelliottphotography.com/

Very hopeful after Spring Game!

Love ya, Coastie! Great post from a great Kentucky fan.

I could have sworn the first time I read it, you said, "Darrell is the butt," and the sentence ended. Of course, who would argue otherwise?

The QB battle should be interesting to watch heading into the regular season in August. I expect to see Wilson improve his accuracy as he works with the receivers more during the offseason. The potential for the big play with his arm and speed could add a lot to the offense.

Unforgettable

Coastline, you picture me how???? I am actually short, fat, old, with thinning hair . Ask Mick. Of course he is short, with thinning hair, certainly not fat and not as old as I am. And I hope he is always a few years younger than I am. But at my age and figure it is a hoot telling 16 year old girls how to wear a cheer uniform or what size sport bra they need But unfortunately when I fit shoes I have to turn my head or hand them the shoes to do it themselves because they wear skirts too short or tops too revealing and I am not going to be caught in that situation
    I have not been to a game in Lexington in I don't know how long but go to games at Miss State and have only watched one victory, just happened to be the day I met Mick in person. For the record when with Mick one win in football, all wins in basketball in Starkville and its several plus a NC in New Orleans. We are undefeated when together. Wonder how much that would be worth to coaches as a lucky charm.

Again I don't care how many are at a scrimmage, but I want the truth and not be treated as if all of us are stupid and can't see. Makes me continue to question our athletic department and added with what I have been told by people who know, it's not real good.

If you ever get south I will take you fishing or hunting and cook you a good ribeye and treat you to crawfish and good seasoned seafood. Ask Mick, it's really addictive

30000 tickets given out in advance. 6000 more taken at the gate. Maybe 22000 there. Not bad.

As for the team, half the two deep was out and we still have more overall talent than at any time I've ever seen. I'll be shocked if Wilson doesn't win the starting job, given how much better SJ got in so short a time under Gran and Hinshaw and given that Hoak didn't set the world on fire even though he's been through spring ball three times and fall ball twice and Wilson has had about 20 practices. Wilson is rusty and had to be nervous. He hadn't played in front of more than a few thousand fans probably in his life, as JUCOs get no fans and he redshirted at Oregon. So his hsort balls wer eoff, But he threw some strikes on 30 yard passes and showed an outstanding long arm. His speed though was quite impressive. Faster than several of our scholarship WRs and safeties.

Hard to predict, as the schedule is a tough one. But unless the QBs just fall apart we'll be a better team.

8 wins or bust!

Fiddlin' Five

I think we're either going to have a very good season, or it is going to be a complete bust.
    QB is going to be a huge question mark for us. Another huge question mark is going to be the WR position, but that is every year with Kentucky.
    We will be better on defense, but by mid-season we will have a good idea about who and what we are as a football team, especially on offense.
    I'm hopeful, but not overly optimistic. And not because of the players, but because of the head coach. I am still not convinced about him. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I think we're either going to have a very good season, or it is going to be a complete bust.
    I can actually see that possibility. We have a lot of starters returning, our talent level as a whole continues to upgrade, and the talent level of every quarterback on the roster exceeds that of the talent our two-year starter enjoyed. That's the boom portion.

The bust portion is that we've also enjoyed a "down" SEC for several years (not counting the very tip-top), and that seems unlikely to continue. While there are several new coaches, there's a reason for the new coaches, and they are likely upgrades over the ones who were replaced. I "hear" all the good stuff about all the quarterbacks on the roster, but they are all still brand new to the SEC, and there's no substitute for SEC experience. The schedule is, pessimistically, a tough one for us.

Boom or bust. I could see it either way.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I'm hopeful, but not overly optimistic.
    As am I.

As time goes by, my wish is that my honest view will move from "merely hopeful" to "cautiously optimistic." I'm not quite there yet. Unlike everyone else, I wasn't moved in a positive direction from the Spring Game.

Things that lead you to believe UK should be better are there, there are also things still at UK that lead you to believe they will struggle to get 6 wins.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Fiddlin' Five

Darrell, I wasn't moved in a positive direction either.
    The potential is certainly there, no doubt. But there are 2 boatloads of questions that hinder my enthusiasm. Special Teams are going to be a huge question mark. And then the QB & WR issues too.