Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Happy National Grilled Cheese Day

Grew up with Mom making grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. Didn't have it again for many years, but occasionally we'll still have it.

Any of you have fancy grilled cheese sandwiches? Some sort of spicy cheese, or with tomatoes, or jalapenos, or something else?

Grilled cheese wraps, as opposed to sandwich bread?

Any particular ways of cooking it?

Any particular favorites to eat?

Got bacon anywhere with it?

Favorite sides with it?

Soups?

Re: Happy National Grilled Cheese Day

All the rage these days.

I make it simple. White bread, velveeta, mayo, butter. I make a pretty good one that way, enough butter to get a nice crispy bread.

Nothing fancy. I'm true to my southern white boy roots, I love velveeta. Makes a good grilled cheese.

Really don't have it with soup much, though that's the tradition. I'm not a big soup guy anyway.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Bombino

I used to make a ridiculous amount of grilled cheese, even now it is my comfort food.

Bread:
    Either a good quality white bread, something like potato bread or similar, or a nice whole grain, multi-seed wheat. You want something thick and dense to allow you to load it with cheese. The multi-grain works well with more flavorful cheeses as the seeds get a sweetness to them that goes well with the cheese.

Cheese:
    Honestly, the sky's the limit here. If I am going basic, american cheese on white bread (the classic and damn tasty). One of my favorite combinations though was a robust multi-seed whole grain wheat, with a slice of provolone, a slice of mild cheddar, and some blue cheese (ideally Blue Marble Jack cheese). Simple butter and toast it low and slow to allow the cheese time to melt and the bread to get a nice crust. Serve either of these with a side of Maggi Hot & Sweet tomato sauce for dipping. The flavor of the tomato sauce and spice round out and provide a nice depth and balance for the grilled cheese. It's like dipping in tomato soup but WAY better.

As for meats:
    If there is anything but cheese in the middle, it is a melt, not a grilled cheese. Nothing wrong with that I love melts, just not a grilled cheese.

Happy National Grilled Cheese Day

Grilled cheese with bacon...Munster makes a good grilled cheese and bacon samich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fab Five

Saw a guy on TV spreading mayo on the outside of the bread instead of butter before grilling. Says it it the key to perfect grilling. I'm going to try that. I don't fix grilled cheese much anymore as I usually opt for a quesadilla. But with either I always stick a few tablespoons of Ro-tel tomatoes on the inside.
    Real Fan since 1958