Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

EJ Montgomery commits to UK per Evan Daniels

Per J Row

Darryl

Re: EJ Montgomery commits to UK per Evan Daniels

Good.

This is huge, helps our team quite a bit and also keeps him away from Duke and North Carolina

Darryl

Unforgettable

Thanks Darryl.
    Real Fan since 1958

This is also a slam dunk win for Cal over Coach K. Montgomery was considered a Duke lock forever.

Darryl

Great news!!

If all return our front court would be:
    Juniors 5* SKJ, 5* Gabriel
    Sophomores 5* Richards, 5* Vanderbilt, 5* PJ Washington
    Frosh 5* Montgomery

Serious talent

Darryl

This is Big Time!!

Wow! This kinda came out of nowhere. I knew we had a chance but I hadn’t read anywhere that a decision was coming this soon.

Kinda confirms that Wiseman stays in 2019 I would think.

I don't know how Cal could possibly balance SIX five stars at the 4-5 but that's a great problem to have.

Hagans - Quickley
    Green - Baker
    Johnson - Herro
    Gabriel - JV - EJ
    PJ - Richards - SKJ

Deepest team Cal has had except for the platoon year. I guess at least ONE of those 5 leave, maybe even 2.

Unforgettable

Couple of other things:

In a short interview at the Jordan Brand game, Zion Williamson had this to say about Tyler Herro: “Tyler is the most underrated player in our class. He’s a very smooth and skilled scorer, and I feel like it goes unnoticed at times.”

He had this to say about Quickley and Johnson: “Immanuel (Quickley), I became really close with him this past summer. Him and Keldon share this trait of being a dog, no matter who they play against. It doesn’t matter what the scouting report says, they’re going to come out there, and they’re not going to allow anyone to bully them or walk over them. They’re always going to fight until the very end.”

Tyler Herro had this to say about Hagans: "I’d say we have a really good shot (he reclassifies.) I don’t really know specific numbers on the chances, but there is a good shot.”

He also said: “You know everyone knows Keldon is a dog, and I’d like to say I’m a dog. Immanuel (Quickley) is a dog. Ashton is just as much a dog as us, if not more. The way he picks up 94 feet, full-court defense. He gets downhill a lot, as a point guard, he gets downhill. Comes off in transition, makes the right play. To have him as a point guard, whoever gets him, they’re lucky.”

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/baske...s-to-kentucky/
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance—it is the illusion of knowledge."
    - Daniel J. Boorstin

Outstanding way to start out a chilly Monday morning...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I LIKE OUR TEAM.

Tom, it is a little weird, used to be calling someone a dog was an insult.

I guess I am just not up on the slang these days.

Darryl

I think the Duke buzz was just a perfect case of well, everyone wants to play at Duke, so we might as well just assume he is too.

I never got a Duke vibe when listening to him speak. It was always Cal, Roy and Drew. A little here and there about K, but nothing like the other coaches.

As soon as Johnson was emphatic, that was pretty much enough for me to know he was coming to UK. However, as long as he was still scheduling visits, there was competition and Vandy seemed to be coming on strong.

Huge get! Add Hagans and what looked like one of our thinnest classest suddenly becomes one of Cal's better ones.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post

Darryl
    I'm with you!
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance—it is the illusion of knowledge."
    - Daniel J. Boorstin

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    Huge get! Add Hagans and what looked like one of our thinnest classest suddenly becomes one of Cal's better ones.
    Made even better by who we should/could have returning. The doom and gloom from just a few weeks ago seems to have been brushed away.
    - Daniel J. Boorstin

JRow said the new BB insider on CI (Sisk) reports Cal's in- home sealed the deal

Darryl

Montgomery has been a kid I watched for some time. He was at Monteverde for a while...believe it was his fresh and soph years. He sort of got lost in the schuffle behind some other talent (Barrett, DeSouza, etc..), As a freshman he was getting tons of ink but that fizzled, and then when he committed to Auburn, everything dried up. Like the athleticism, and he can go to the 5 or the 4 spot which is great because Cal is such a fan of players who can play multiple positions.

You can get bitter or you can get better....I choose better

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Montgomery has been a kid I watched for some time. He was at Monteverde for a while...believe it was his fresh and soph years. He sort of got lost in the schuffle behind some other talent (Barrett, DeSouza, etc..), As a freshman he was getting tons of ink but that fizzled, and then when he committed to Auburn, everything dried up. Like the athleticism, and he can go to the 5 or the 4 spot which is great because Cal is such a fan of players who can play multiple positions.
    There's a lot of talk about this class having that dog mentality. How would you assess from your observations him fitting into that type of personality?

I've observed him to be a little more laid back and passive, which isn't necessarily a bad thing when you're talking about a class full of dogs. You need that balance.

As for out team overall, we have markedly UPGRADED at at least 3 spots. Our SG should be improved even if Diallo goes. We now added 2 1/2 SG (Herro, Baker and 1/2 of Quickly) who can actually shoot. Center is improved with EJ, but also I believe Cal saw the light and we will see more PJ at the 5, plus a year experience for both SKJ and Nick. I also believe we have upgraded the 4 spot with EJ and experience. I mean we didn't lose a 4 (unless PJ stays in the draft). I think our 3 spot held steady as I don't see Keldon being a step down from Kevin. Same with the Point as Quickley is the equal of SKJ, plus hopefully a healthy Green

You can get bitter or you can get better....I choose better

I think he will need to play a lot of 5 for us.

This is also a slam dunk win for Cal over Coach K. Montgomery was considered a Duke lock forever.

Darryl
    That is only based on the Crystal Ball picks.

Darryl
    Being called a dog (an alpha dog) by the alpha dogs is definitely a good thing these days.

This is awesome. We have some serious depth.
    I can’t help but think does this mean we are losing someone?
    How does Cal possibly split up those minutes?
    Better yet, how does Cal convince a guy to come here with that logjam unless someone is leaving (or staying in the Draft)?

Great news love our team next year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU3Hk-xDi0k

Found a little scouting video on EJ as I googled it on Youtube because I have never seen his action. You guys agree to this analysis on the video?

Adding Montgomery allows us to sustain a loss of a potential returning player and still be plenty deep in the front court.

Montgomery, while having the size to defend a 5, will likely play 5 on the offensive end. PJ is likely to play the offensive 5 and defensive 4.