Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kentucky v South Carolina baseball Game 3 Sunday

Justin Lewis needs to do his thing...

Game 3 UK vs USC Jr

Lewis gets the call on the mound for UK in the rubber game, and he has a good first inning retiring 3 of 4 men he faced. 0-0 B1
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 04-08-2018 at 02:13 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky. Hunter S Thompson

Re: Kentucky v South Carolina baseball Game 3 Sunday

Well that did not take long. Pompey lines one over the old scoreboard, and Squires follows up on the first pitch right in the same spots as Pompey's liner. 2-0 UK
    seeya
    dan

I am more than just a Serious basketball fan. I am a life-long Addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky. Hunter S Thompson

Re: Game 3 UK vs USC Jr

Heyer strikes out swinging, Becker walks, Becker tries to steal 2nd and is thrown out. Cottam lines out to right.

2-0 UK T2
    seeya
    dan

Good start!

Heard there was a review on the first pitch of the game...South Carolina thrown out at 1st base, and they insisted on a review, but the call was correct. I didn't see it, not in a place to watch right now.

4 up and 3 down for USC. Lewis is good today but not especially sharp. He is missing the strike zone about as much as he is hitting it.

2-0 UK B2
    seeya
    dan

Colette dribbles one to 2nd for the first out. Aklinski flies out to left. Rodriquez lines a single to left. Dawson watches Rodriquez advance to 2nd on a passed ball, and he grounds out to short.

2-0 UK T3
    seeya
    dan

Lewis starts the 3 rd inning having tossed 30 offerings.

You can't leave the change up up down the middle of the plate, thigh high unless you want to pitch with a new ball. Cortez smokes that pitch over the big blue wall for a round tripper.

2-1 UK B3
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    You can't leave the change up up down the middle of the plate, thigh high unless you want to pitch with a new ball.
    You know, he could have just asked the ump for a new ball...there were other ways!

Cats load the bases with 2 out and Colette at the plate. Pops out to 3rd to end the inning. 2-1 UK T4
    seeya
    dan

USC has men at 1st and 2nd with one out. Wild pitch moves the runners up a bag. Slow roller to 2nd rerecords an out but also plates a run to tie the game. Line out to left ends the T4

2-2 B4
    seeya
    dan

Cats need to borrow a few of those excess runs from Friday night.

Tristan Pompey has 10 RBIs this week, and 7 RBIs vs South Carolina this weekend. Some good news happening in the inning.

3 wild pitches or passed balls lead to 3 free scores for UK in the 4th.

5-2 UK T5
    seeya
    dan

South Carolina with five wild pitches for the game. Crazy.

Love Pompey leading off. UK tried to bat him 3rd for awhile this year to take advantage of his power (as shown by his leadoff home run--2nd time this year he's led off a game with a home run), but I love having him come to the plate as quickly and as much as possible.

Lewis starts off the 5th by walking the lead off hitter. 2nd hitter flies out to left. Next batter grounds out. KO swinging to end the T5

5-2 UK B5
    seeya
    dan

UK goes out meekly in the 5th 3 up and 3 down.

5-2 UK T6
    seeya
    dan

Lewis: 5 IP, 1 H, 2 R (one earned), 3 BB, 4 K.

As Dan said earlier, his control not perfect today, but kid is a battler. This is three straight Sundays he has come out when Kentucky needed this kind of effort badly, and delivered.

USC has runners at the cor4ners with one out and Lewis is at 94 pitches. He needs to a walk to the dugout. Walks the batter to load the bases. Staff agrees with me and Lewis hands over the ball.
    seeya
    dan

Gave it his all today. Glad Nick listened to you, Dan.

Ramsey on in relief. Grounder up the middle for an out but does plate a run. Terrific diving catch of a one hopper in the centerfield gap by Dawson at short then a one hop throw to first that is collected by Cottam first

5-3 B6
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 04-08-2018 at 04:18 PM.
    seeya
    dan

Dawson can glove.

Edit.. Found the clip of the play.

https://twitter.com/UKBaseball/statu...117312/video/1
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 04-08-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Remember, Nick Mingione said Trey Dawson is probably the best defensive shortstop he's ever coached.

Thanks, guys!
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Luke Heyer!!!!!

Luke Becker!!!!!

They reported the Kentucky dugout was fired up after the Dawson play to end the inning (probably saved two runs, as well as the inning would have been extended), and lo and behold, who leads off the Kentucky half of the 6th? None other than Trey Dawson. How many times does that happen, when the guy who makes the spectacular play to end the previous inning leads off at bat?

Dawson singled to bring up Pompey, and Pompey did something good, too, and then after an out, the two Luke's did something REALLY good. .

Just for fun, while Kentucky is batting, here's a look at the SEC Standings.

SEC East:

Florida 9-2
    Georgia 8-4
    Vanderbilt 7-5
    Missouri 6-6
    South Carolina 5-6
    Kentucky 4-7
    Tennessee 4-7

So Kentucky is tied for last in the SEC East...and still in the top 10 in some national baseball polls. We're ok, but we do need to win series.

In the West.

Ole Miss 7-4
    Arkansas 7-4
    LSU 6-6
    Texas A&M 5-7
    Alabama 5-7
    Auburn 4-7
    Miss. State 3-8

No need to push the panic button--Kentucky is ok, but winning series and getting back to .500 will be a good start. If Kentucky can win this series today, we will be 5-7. We will really need to win the series in Athens next week vs UGA, and then we will face the best team in the country, IMHO, Florida, in Lexington, on a Thursday-Friday-Saturday outing.

If we can go 4-2 in the next six SEC games and win today, we'll be 9-9 with 12 games remaining and in good shape.

After that we will play:

Missouri -- Lexington
    Tennessee -- Knoxville
    Miss. State -- Lexington
    Vanderbilt -- Nashville

Cats come up with 4 runs in the bottom of the 6th inning.

Trey Dawson led off with a single, and it chased the SC pitcher. The new reliever faced Tristan Pompey, and he delivered another base hit, which had Kentucky cooking. Squires grounded into a fielder's choice, but Luke Heyer followed with a 3-run bomb to push the lead to 8-3. Luke Becker then delivered Kentucky's second back-to-back home runs of the game, a solo shot that moved the lead to 9-3, which is where it stands heading to the 7th.

Kentucky brings in Carson Coleman with one out in the 7th inning. Jimmy Ramsey did a nice job in relief--getting two ground balls last inning (one scored on a fielder's choice), but snuffed out the rally.

Ramsey got a groundout, then walked a batter which brought on Coleman.