Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Will National Media EVER Drop This Izzo "Mr March" Idiocy; Last 3 Yrs Two NCAAT Wins

2016 A Pre-Tourney Favorite 1st Round blowout to 15 seed

2017 1-1 20 point loss

2018 A Pre-Tourney Favorite 2nd round loss to 11 seed

Darryl

Re: Will National Media EVER Drop This Izzo "Mr March" Idiocy; Last 3 Yrs Two NCAAT W

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    2016 A Pre-Tourney Favorite 1st Round blowout to 15 seed

2017 1-1 20 point loss

2018 A Pre-Tourney Favorite 2nd round loss to 11 seed

Darryl
    Not just any 11 seed. An 11 seed that had to play in the First Four. Whatever March magic Izzo used to have, seems to fail him now.

Re: Will National Media EVER Drop This Izzo "Mr March" Idiocy; Last 3 Yrs Two NCAAT W

I was at the game. We were visiting friends who had a suite.

It was an awful display of coaching.

Bridges and Jackson miss used the entire game. He acted as if he had never seen a zone.

They had 26 offensive boards and lost.

It's gonna get worst probably fired

Will National Media EVER Drop This Izzo "Mr March" Idiocy; Last 3 Yrs Two NCAAT Wins

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
    I

They had 26 offensive boards and lost.
    That's hard to do.

He's had less success in March than Calipari in about 15 more years.

He's an excellent coach. Period.

But:
    1) the media like him, so they overhype an excellent record as if it's an all time great, which it's not.
    2) when he's bad, he's REALLY bad. Yesterday was one of the worst coaching performances I can ever recall seeing.

His career got off to a good start, with lots of Final 4s, which established his reputation that has survived recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    He's an excellent coach. Period.

But:
    1) the media like him, so they overhype an excellent record as if it's an all time great, which it's not.
    2) when he's bad, he's REALLY bad. Yesterday was one of the worst coaching performances I can ever recall seeing.
    That 2nd point is a really good one. He can scrape the bottom at times.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    His career got off to a good start, with lots of Final 4s, which established his reputation that has survived recent years.
    It's not like his good record is ancient history. He's had a VERY bad last 3 tournaments, but he went to Final Fours in 2009, 2010 and 2015, the Elite 8 in 2014, and Sweet 16's in 2012 and 2013. That's 3 Final Fours, 4 Elite 8's and 6 Sweet 16's in the last 10 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    That 2nd point is a really good one. He can scrape the bottom at times.
    That's exactly why I was so impressed with Cal on Saturday. He is very similar to Izzo (not in March performance) in that he can be very stubborn and not make adjustments. On Saturday, he made a couple of HUGE adjustments (going zone for a short spurt and the offensive movement at the free throw line). Maybe we would have won anyways but it sealed the deal.
    If he coaches like that this next weekend, we will be in the Final Four. I really believe that. He just needs to make those adjustments. I don't know who was in his ear at halftime but kudos to whoever it was.
    ~Puma~

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    It's not like his good record is ancient history. He's had a VERY bad last 3 tournaments, but he went to Final Fours in 2009, 2010 and 2015, the Elite 8 in 2014, and Sweet 16's in 2012 and 2013. That's 3 Final Fours, 4 Elite 8's and 6 Sweet 16's in the last 10 seasons.

Going to start with "Mr Enabler". Its a better fit.

You can get bitter or you can get better....I choose better

One more thing...I watched that entire 2nd half of the MSU-Syracuse game. Where the heck was Jaren Jackson Jr.?? I do think he's a tad overrated but to not be in almost the entire 2nd half is pretty suspect coaching. Instead, they had some dude at the free throw line that was wide open and scared to death to shoot the ball. It was just odd coaching.
    ~Puma~

Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    One more thing...I watched that entire 2nd half of the MSU-Syracuse game. Where the heck was Jaren Jackson Jr.?? I do think he's a tad overrated but to not be in almost the entire 2nd half is pretty suspect coaching. Instead, they had some dude at the free throw line that was wide open and scared to death to shoot the ball. It was just odd coaching.
    Couldn't agree more. It was stunningly bad. Michigan St missed their last 13 FGA, and 8 of them were three pointers.

That means they were 8/29 from 3 when that stretch started, and took 8 MORE 3 pointers and made none of them. And this wasn't a case where they were down and needed to get back into it. They literally never trailed by more than 3 at any point during that stretch. It was just inexcusable.

That's exactly why I was so impressed with Cal on Saturday. He is very similar to Izzo (not in March performance) in that he can be very stubborn and not make adjustments. On Saturday, he made a couple of HUGE adjustments (going zone for a short spurt and the offensive movement at the free throw line). Maybe we would have won anyways but it sealed the deal.
    If he coaches like that this next weekend, we will be in the Final Four. I really believe that. He just needs to make those adjustments. I don't know who was in his ear at halftime but kudos to whoever it was.
    PJ at the free throw line was huge in opening up Hami's route to the goal. And keeping the floor open for Shai was a no-brainer, possibly, but it still needed to be done, and he did it. I also give credit to the zone as a different look, just to disrupt the flow for Buffalo, and not as a staple. Very good job of making adjustments.

He needs to stop believing his own marketing and doing what he can do.

he's been so wrapped up in selling the DDM and positionless ball, etc. that he's not just running and calling plays and sets. This team needs that structure.

Cal himself said he was coaching/running them like his UMass teams, and that's exactly what he should do. Run plays and sets and give it some structure so they know where to be when. It doesn't have to be 100% locked in, you have to leave room to create, but give them a framework more narrow than the DDM.

He's done that in this period with the losses, etc. and it's made all the difference on offense. We didn't go from being horrible at scoring to 95 points in a tournament game b/c of some miracle or just shooting better. It's b/c they are running a discernable offense now.

Cal is a great coach. He got that UMass team with Camby to the Final Four and would have plowed through the season if not for one of the most talented teams of all time in UK, and he still beat us early and was toe to toe with us in the Final Four, despite having basically 6 guys and one star and we had 27 guys on that team who went on to the NBA. Our JV team had future 10 year pros on it.

Don't worry so much about running a style that lets you recruit as a NBA farm team and worry about running what you need for that roster. Wins will do more to help recruiting than the other stuff IMO.
    Saigon. .... I'm still only in Saigon

Rupp's Runt
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

And young teams regardless of talent need structure. Call a timeout or two. Set up a play.

That is all we need and have needed.
    This will be a day longer remembered. It has seen the end of Pitino and will soon see the end of Louisville. September 27, 2017

That’s what i thought also. Went down with a lottery pick in the bench. Should have had bridges or Langford at the foul line Jackson on the baseline. Instead he sat Jackson, and let bridges and Langford shoot 3 after 3.

One other thing, why anyone would go to Syracuse is beyond me.

I suspect with the way Jackson was used the 2nd half of the season, and bridges is no better than the day he stepped on campus will hurt him in the one and done circle.

I still say that the key to our new found offensive execution is letting the Cats out of the box. Instead of running the offense at 20 to 22 feet with restricted passing lanes and clutter in the box, we stepped out to 25 feet and opened the passing lanes, spread the defense, and now find space in the box to take it to the hole and crash the glass. Our opponents can either play the three point shooters or stop the penetration....but not both

All thats left is for Cal to keep the defenses off balance...which he is doing
    Last edited by kingcat; 03-19-2018 at 07:22 PM.

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." — Jack Handey ,

This season was Izzo’s worst coaching job of his career.
    They had the group to win it all.

Rupp's Runt
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Who knows the behind d the scene stress created by Nassau on the program.

That said, they couldn’t shoot for anything.
    This will be a day longer remembered. It has seen the end of Pitino and will soon see the end of Louisville. September 27, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    Who knows the behind d the scene stress created by Nassau on the program.

That said, they couldn’t shoot for anything.
    No doubt. Can’t imagine that played a role in him playing Bridges out of position all year, not being ready for Syracuse’s zone and only playing a Top 5 NBA pick 15 min out of 40 in their elimination game.