Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Last Night's St Bonaventure NCAAT Win First Since Bob Lanier's Senior Year In 1970

That was the year Dan Issel/Mike Pratt's UK team lost to Jacksonville with Artis Gilmore.

That, my friends, is an Indiana Hoosier type drought....

Darryl

Unforgettable

Re: Last Night's St Bonaventure NCAAT Win First Since Bob Lanier's Senior Year In 197

Lanier’s shoe size was something like 19 or 20, back when athletic shoe sizes were honest.
    Real Fan since 1958

Re: Last Night's St Bonaventure NCAAT Win First Since Bob Lanier's Senior Year In 197

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Lanier’s shoe size was something like 19 or 20, back when athletic shoe sizes were honest.
    Mick, you remember Lanier getting hurt (torn ACL) in the Elite 8 win and then of course he was out when they had to face Jacksonville in the Final 4?

Darryl

Unforgettable

Being born in 1961 I was, of course, already a UK/college basketball fan in 1971, but when St. Bonaventure was having their greatest teams was when I was becoming a fan. So when I hear the name it conjures a program that is far better than it really is. But I vividly remember the losses the Issel/Pratt teams had - IIRC, to Gilmore and Jacksonville, to Jim McDaniel and WKU, and to FSU which included a guard from Louisville whose name just escapes me right now, although perhaps not in that order. I will acknowledge, however, that Issel/Pratt may not have lost to the three I mentioned above, but that is how I remember it.

EDIT: Well, good thing I don't have to rely on my memory!! I went back and looked at the Issel/Pratt teams lost to Marquette in 1968, Miami (OH) in 1969, and Jacksonville in 1970. The WKU/McDaniel loss was in 1971 with the FSU loss in 1972. But I did remember the guard I was thinking of - Ron King. I also remembered another - Otto Petty.
    Last edited by Bakert; 03-14-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance—it is the illusion of knowledge."
    - Daniel J. Boorstin

Tom, UK lost to

OSU in 1968
    Marquette in 1969
    Jacksonville in 1970

Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    Being born in 1961 I was, of course, already a UK/college basketball fan in 1971, but when St. Bonaventure was having their greatest teams was when I was becoming a fan. So when I hear the name it conjures a program that is far better than it really is. But I vividly remember the losses the Issel/Pratt teams had - IIRC, to Gilmore and Jacksonville, to Jim McDaniel and WKU, and to FSU which included a guard from Louisville whose name just escapes me right now, although perhaps not in that order. I will acknowledge, however, that Issel/Pratt may not have lost to the three I mentioned above, but that is how I remember it.

EDIT: Well, good thing I don't have to rely on my memory!! I went back and looked at the Issel/Pratt teams lost to Marquette in 1968, Miami (OH) in 1969, and Jacksonville in 1970. The WKU/McDaniel loss was in 1971 with the FSU loss in 1972. But I did remember the guard I was thinking of - Ron King. I also remembered another - Otto Petty.
    I bet you remember Issels fifth foul against Jacksonville. I sure do .

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post

Otto Petty and Ron King, both from Central, played on that Florida State team.
    Real Fan since 1958

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    Mick, you remember Lanier getting hurt (torn ACL) in the Elite 8 win and then of course he was out when they had to face Jacksonville in the Final 4?

Darryl

The Jacksonville Dolphins sure led a charmed life back then.
    Real Fan since 1958